Old 04-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #1  

Default Green Beans are the DEVIL

I am on the express plan, and I cant seem to stick with it.
I joined In nov 2007 did really well (was down 20 lbs)
till our Wedding in feb, and am totally off the bandwagon.

I have started, and restarted so many times that I now think
" Green beans are the Devil".

I have restarted this week, and am down 1.5 in 2 days (Yay!) I have vowed to stick it out for the 4 weeks and then
be able to move into the 'blue" book.

What are you all eating for all your veggies?
and more importantly,
HOW are you eating them ?

I know I have to careful with carrots as they are sweet, so that leaves me with mushrooms, onions and peppers
Cucumber and tomatoes
Cabage and brussel sprouts
Brocoli and cauliflower
eggplant and zuccini
Lettuces ( all variety)
Spinach and Collard Greens.

Did i miss Any?

Dee
Dionysiusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #2  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Stay strong, stay strong, stay strong!!! I am going to go take a nap (I am sick)......but I will think about veggies while I am resting and get back to you Welcome!!!
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #3  
mom to 4 girls ~Elizabeth

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I don't like green beans so I understand...lol

I pre prep veggies so they are ready to eat every time I buy them. It takes time but then I see how nice they look.

I make a mock greek salad without feta: I use peppers, onion, cherry tomatoes (limited) and cucumber with a LITE feta dressing premeasured, toss them in a bowl and take one cup per serving with 1 tbsp of the feta dressing.

i also marinate cauliflower, broccoli and a few baby carrots in a lite Italian dressing ( 1 tbsp / 1 cup of veggies). I take one cup portions and know it is 1 fat 1 veggie. Then I have steamed fresh veggies with my supper (for 2 portions) then I am done for the day.. or I have a salad.

I have tried asparagus with mushrooms.. yummy! and also spinach and artichokes with a small amount of sour cream baked with my pita chips. I find if I am always changing the veggies, I don't get bored of them. Hope this helps a bit.

*hugs*

Elizabeth

Last edited by 4princesses; 04-17-2008 at 04:21 PM.
4princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #4  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

I LOVE green beans! I eat them several times a week! They are NOT the devil.
Beth
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

So many veggies and so many ways to eat them.

I like to put them in a soup. You can get low sodium broth, load it with any sort of veggies that you like, a bit of chicken or turkey or beans or lentils or
even Tofu. One half of a small potato seems like a lot more if you dice it up really small and put it in soup. I will put one small potato in and split the soup with my DH. Also if you like a tomato based soup, start with V-8 juice. I've made a kind of boulebaise with that and some frozen shrimp and some fish diced up (OK I put green beans in that too, but you could put onions and peppers or some other veggie that you like). When they are in broth and all you hardly notice you are eating the veggies.

Stir fries also. A little Pam... a lot of veggies
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #6  
Just For Today

S/C/G: 287/170/155

Height: 5' 10"

I pack a lunch for work, so I take a lot of celery and radishes and things that don't need much prep. Otherwise, at night, I eat steamed broccoli or cauliflower or a lettuce salad. I tend to be set in my ways and don't have too much variety, but I'm still losing so I'm not concerned. If I hit a plateau, I mix it up a little bit.
loserjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/see ticker/125

Height: 5'0

I love frozen artichoke hearts! Also, frozen asparagus... sugar snap peas, snow peas! I actually go through the frozen aisle in the grocery and look for items that are individually packaged - makes it easier. But even if its not individual packs, I steam them in sandwich baggies and spray the **** out of them with I can't believe it's not butter spray. I also like to steam fresh zucchini, broccoli, or cauliflower in sandwich bags and spray them as well!

Hope this helps
jewljz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

If you cook cauliflower and mash it like you would mashed potatoes, season them the same, pour a little ff chicken broth in and you can add 1 tsp of diet margerine for your fat, they taste a lot like mashed potatoes. The secret is really cooking the cauliflower down until it is soft. I know this might sound strange, but the key is the seasoning. I had some tonight with my turkey burger. Yummmm
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 174.2/?/140

Height: 5'2''

hmm i was never a big veggie eater and normally dont like green beans but OMG i'm beginning to love it and so is DH. Here's how i make it. I sautee the beans & some onion rings for about a min or 2 and add 1c of so of low sodium chicken broth and diced tomatoes and let it simmer with cover on for about 8 mins until the beans are tender. Its so good, maybe you should try it sometime. Depending on how much veggies i add i count as 1 or 2 veggies.

I use tomatoes alot and throw it in everything to add a bit more veggie.

hang in there.
Debbie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #10  
LAWL Salt Police

I love veggies.. Battered and DEEP FRIED (with parm cheese sprinkled on top)!!

Seriously though...

Veggies are a necessary evil for those of us meat eaters... So you just have to suck it up and learn to deal with it..

Grill your asperagus...

Take zuchini and peel off strips like you would with a potato (using a potato peeler!)... Stop when you get to the seeds..

saute them in a little olive oil (in a pan with a spritz of Pam) with some fresh or powdered garlic.

Eat salad with every meal.. Spinach is full of fiber and other vitamins you won't get from regular old lettuce...

Make wraps with leaf lettuce and diced tomato. fill the leaf lettuce with sliced or diced chicken or lean pork.

You can also (once in a while) subsitute a glass of V8 Fusion for a veggie and a fruit serving..
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:54 PM   #11  
Felicia

S/C/G: 323/TBA/145

I hate to say it, but I don't like veggies either and salads have never been my thing. In fact, when forced to eat a salad at a restaurant, I just sort of sit there and pick all the "stuff" off of it and end up with a sad-looking pile of greens! There are lots of nights when I end up chugging a 12-oz. low-sodium V8 (3V). My counselor doesn't fuss since she knows that on most days, it's the only way for me to get in my veggies.
bayoubelle68 is offline   Reply With Quote