Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 01:40 AM   #1  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default "Volumetrics" - March/April 2008

Welcome . . . . . . Thought we should have a new start once again . . . Hope this will become one of your favourite places at 3FC . . .

VOLUMETRICS is not new, it just hasn't been making as big a splash in the weight loss community as some of the better known plans. I first discovered Volumetrics about a year or two ago thanks to the review on 3FC. After reading the review I went and bought both of the books and decided the Principles of Volumetrics was something I could live with . . . forever.

VOLUMETRICS explains how to FEEL FULL ON FEWER CALORIES . . . and let's face it, most of us don't stick with something very long, if we feel totally deprived all the time. The guiding principle is to get the 'highest volume of food at the lowest cost in calories' by choosing foods with a lower ED (Energy Density). BTW, 3FC has a data-base of over 7000 foods and is one of the few that includes the ED for all the items.

What foods have a lower ED? Basically, those that contain the highest water and fibre contents . . . for example; we all know that grapes and raisins start out as the same fruit, right? Raisins simply have had the water content removed. Did you know that 1/4 cup of raisins contains about 100 calories? More importantly . . . did you know that you can eat almost 2 full cups of grapes for the same 100 calories! I know which would make me feel fuller and stay fuller for longer . . . how about you?

Anyway, enough of my blathering for now . . . Please come and join our little discussion group as we help each other make our way along the long and winding road to better health and fitness the VOLUMETRICS way . . . hope to see you all soon . . .

Last edited by meowee; 03-01-2008 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #2  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

Hey there!

I hope you're well...
I'm just wondering what books you bought? I think this way of eating is imperitive to dieting and would like to know more about it!

thanks a bunch!
Old 03-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 224/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1''

Hi everyone!!!!! Have a great weekend.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:28 PM   #4  
Onward and Downward

Hi SERENAB . . . here are the names of the two books . . . both are available from AMAZON.UK

. . . Please use the "Store" tab at the right-hand end of the purple navigation bar at the top of the page and then click on the Amazon.UK tab at the top pf the Store page. The prices are exactly the same for you (as using your regular link to Amazon) but everytime one of our chickies buys from Amazon by using this link, 3FC gets a teeny little bit of commision. Little things like this are what help to keep our wonderful site FREE to the users.

The Volumetrics Weight-control Plan by Barbara Rolls and Robert A. Barnett

The Volumetrics Eating Plan: Techniques and Recipes for Feeling Full on Fewer Calories by Barbara J. Rolls

The first book is very inexpensive (at 3.35 L - sorry my keyboard doesn't have a pound symbol) and contains a lot of good information on the testing that went on behind the theories of Volumetrics. The second book (at 9.95 L) also contains the basic information as well as more recipes. I have both (since I'm a cookbook collector anyway), but if you feel you only want one, I'd recommend the first one.

And . . . HI to you too, TEACHER . . . Hope you have a great weekend, too.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #5  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

Hey!
Thanks meowee - you're a star.

I'll definately check them out, they look quite interesting and will defiantely help me (i'm sure) feel more full after meals!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:04 AM   #6  
Onward and Downward

Hi gang . . . :grouphug . . . where is everybody hiding?

Know exactly what you mean SERANAB -- I have to be full or I'm nibbling at junk all day long.

We have today -- so I must get out and play in the new snow and run some errands before our next storm comes along tomorrow.

Have a good day.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

I thought I posted on here this morning, but I'll bet I posted in the old thread. Anyway, I need to get back on track. Maybe a little inspirational reading out of the Volumetrics book.

I forgot to mention: This cold that I have had for the last couple of weeks has really knocked out my sense of smell and taste. Unfortunately, I seem to want to keep tasting things until I find something that I can taste. Don't think that's going to happen until after the cold is gone.

Last edited by gailr42; 03-03-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #8  

Gail- Feel better

Have a great night everyone.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #9  

I had a gigantic stir-fry tonight. Asparagus, red bell pepper, bean sprouts, onions, tofu - no meat, but a ton of veggies. We shall see how long it sticks with me. I used quite a bit of soy sauce, so all that salt may show up as a gain, but it was good!

I had about 1/8th of a macadamia nut cookie (big cookies - 190 cal each!). I had the fraction of cookie that was in the box with the rest of the whole cookies, and it wasn't really that good, so I was able to resist, for now anyway. Someone gave the cookies to DH.

Aside from the aforementioned cookie shard, I have eaten no junk today.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #10  

I can't tell you how happy I am to report that I weigh what my ticker says today!!!!!!! If I only loose ONE more pound, I will have lost 40 lbs. The 40lb mark seems to be a big step for me.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #11  
Onward and Downward

Gail . . .

Everybody . . .
Old 03-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #12  

Good work Gail!!!

Hi all, a great day with food. I'm loving fruit salads lately. I can't wait for the farmers market to start in May. Yum- fresh fruits and veggies
Old 03-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #13  

I'm yearning for tree-ripened peaches. Got a bit of a wait!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #14  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations, Gail! Hopefully with spring looming ahead, we'll all get a renewed sense of goal, and be able to stay on track better. It just seems harder in the winter months, especially where there's cold and snow. I'm feeling pretty good that I got through without gaining, and with even losing a little. For me, that's a goal met already!

Exercise seems to be the problem for me, although this winter did provide plenty of snow-shoveling opportunities. (I think I'll have more tomorrow.) It'll be great to be able to walk outside again, but what I think I really need is a weight-lifting program of sorts, to get my metabolism running higher. If I was consistent, I think I'd see huge benefits. Any hints, anybody?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:20 AM   #15  
Onward and Downward

Well . . . we got an inch of fresh snow overnight . . . but I definitely will not be shoveling it because it is going to be buried under a lot of ice very soon. There are probably no two more feared words in the northern winter vocabulary than ICE STORM . I just hope the storm doesn't knock out the power lines.

It will definitely be a stay-at-home day for me. Probably a good thing too. Found out yesterday that I'll be spending a fair bit of time at the dentist this month because I need a root canal. Started taking a round of penicillin yesterday afternoon to try to knock down the current infection so they can start the RC and (as often happens with antibiotics) my tummy is 'complaining'.

I bought some Chilean Peaches yesterday and had one for breakfast this morning -- well, all I can say is that it 'looked' like a peach, anyway. But no flavour and no juice. Oh boy, I can hardly wait to get my mouth on some 'real' fruit. We've got an even longer wait up here.

Have a good day, gang . . . hope you have better weather than we do.
Closed Thread