Old 10-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #16  

Height: 5'2"

Roberta and everyone else reading this - forget my answer to Roberta as shown above. My thinking is apparently turned around today. If she is having a lite or a lite substitute, she is getting more protein, not less.

week 40
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 50 lbs.
Motto - My new motto is - I know how this _______ tastes. I have had it before. I will have it again someday, just not today……..
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #17  
Plan #3-no lites

S/C/G: 198/179/150

Height: 5'5"

I have tried the Luna bars, and I really don't like them. I like the Honey Nougat, Double Chocolate and the Caramel Lites. Does anyone know of any comparables to them? I just can't afford to buy the Lites from LAWL. Right now I am on a plan without the Lites, but changing my plan to include Lites is not impossible. It sounds like the SB bars are similar to Lunas if they have the Crispy Rice inside. Any recommendations?
KSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #18  
LAWL Salt Police

The South Beach bars aren't bad, pricewise.. Unfortunately, I can't remember how much they are, right off the top of my head..

Zone Perfect bars (very yummy but higher in calories by a bit) are reasonalbly priced as well...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #19  
LAWL Salt Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
Hi Roberta,
I had never heard of substituting a fruit and a starch in place of a lite or a lite substitute. This is my understanding here - On the color coded plans a starch is about 50 calories and a fruit is 60 or so calories so you would be short on calories which is not a big deal, but the real purpose of the lites, as I understand it, is to be a good protein source. You would be missing that extra protein component of the menu plan. I know, I know they are high in sugar, but after all protein is the key here.

Dan - what about the luna special for October at Amazon that Suzanne 3FC told us about? 15 bars for $15.09 plus free shipping. Ok you have to buy them 1 flavor to a box, but I thought I would mention it again in case someone had not seen it.

week 40
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 50 lbs.
Motto - My new motto is - I know how this _______ tastes. I have had it before. I will have it again someday, just not today……..

No.. I don't remember seeing that.. Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #20  

Height: 5'2"

Dan - Re the Luna bars - look for the sticky from Suzanne in the Announcements section. There is a coupon code to enter for a discount.

week 40
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 50 lbs.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #21  
LAWL Salt Police

Got it! Don't know how I missed that.. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #22  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

On the South Beach Bars if you're doing the plan without lites 1/2 Protein and 1 Starch. A regular nutra grain would count as a fruit and a starch.

And I wonder how I would ever survive without my little green maintenance book.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:44 PM   #23  

Height: 5'4"

Lynn and Dan (and everyone) . Thanks so much for answering my question, even if we don't exactly know how to count the exchanges of a Luna/Lite/SB bar if my program does not include Lites. Here's what I found out by calling the COD. If you don't have Lites in your program (the color coded ones) and you DO eat a Lite Bar, count them as a starch and a fruit. Lynn, there is extra protein in them, but I am thinking their counting straight calories, but not exactly sure.

Dan, the price of the SB bars at Target is 99 cents/bar when they put them on special and they sell boxes of bars that are a good value compared to the individual bar price. Most times I have been there they have been on special.

Roberta
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:22 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 268/186/170

Height: 5' 8"

Hello all,
I was originally on lites but had to discontinue for financial reasons. To make up the difference in food, my center increased my intake by 1/2 protein and 1 starch. Hope this helps
ronlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:33 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

Krista, Sometimes you can buy LAWL lites on e-bay for cheaper than the franchise will ever sell them to you. There are several types of lunas. Some of them are better than others. I'm quite fond of the nuts over chocolate. There is some brownie thing also that I like. I found that luna bars vary a lot in what is in them, so I would try a couple and see if there are any that you like. I use LAWL lites, but sometimes have lunas. Zone bars are also close in calories and have even more protein. I've bought them at Costco for a really reasonable price. For me the bars really help me stay on track.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:06 AM   #26  

Does anyone know of a lite replacement bar that doesn't have soy in it? I've not been able to find one.
fit40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #27  
Purple with Lites

Quote:
I have tried the Luna bars, and I really don't like them. I like the Honey Nougat, Double Chocolate and the Caramel Lites. Does anyone know of any comparables to them? I just can't afford to buy the Lites from LAWL. Right now I am on a plan without the Lites, but changing my plan to include Lites is not impossible. It sounds like the SB bars are similar to Lunas if they have the Crispy Rice inside. Any recommendations?

Krista, what is it you don't like about the LUNAs? Too crumbly / not chewy enough? Just wondering, I like LUNAs alright but prefer others to them.

In my opinion the LA Lite Honey Nougat is similar to the BALANCE Yogurt Honey Peanut (soy based). To my palate its lighter in texture but still filling. Below is the nutrition information for the BALANCE YHP bar compared with LA Lite Chocolate Caramel (I don't have nutrition information for the LA Lite Honey Nougat). BALANCE bars are my favorite bar hands down. Actually I had a lite remaining so I took one to the movie theater last night and had it with a cup of lemon lift herbal tea...mmmmm. Yes, calories are higher by 20 but I just make sensible choices on days I use them, and don't use 2 in one day...sometimes do a light shake instead of another bar. Of course, if (shall I say when?) my WL slows I will re-examine my use of them. I find them for $1 per bar at a local warehouse store called Smart and Final. www.balance.com

LA Lite [Chocolate Caramel] Bars / BALANCE YHP
Calories 180 / 200
Fat 4g / 6 g
Sodium 150 mg / 160 mg
Cholesterol 5 mg / 5 mg
Carbs 30 g / 21 g
Fiber 3 g / 1 g
Protein 8 g / 15 g
AvidKayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:31 AM   #28  

Height: 5'4"

Default Exchanges for Lunas or Lites

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzbe View Post
On the South Beach Bars if you're doing the plan without lites 1/2 Protein and 1 Starch. A regular nutra grain would count as a fruit and a starch.

And I wonder how I would ever survive without my little green maintenance book.
I think I will follow this exchange advice since the same was posted in a couple of posts further down. Makes much more sense and I think whoever I spoke to when I called the COD must have thought I meant a biscotti which is a fruit and a starch.

YAYYY for all of you. I leave on my trip day after tomrrow and will be taking some bars that I found that have whey in them instead of the soy and are a little higher in calories. Better than eating Airport junk food like pizza or McDonalds.

Thanks again, all
Roberta
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:47 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5' 7"

well, at the risk of beating a dead horse...... I know many people have asked, "what exchanges does a bar count for?" and we always give the pat answer that we were programed to from the COD, "there are no exchanges, you go up a plan.....blah, blah, blah," ok, I get that....... BUT lets say one is only on a exchange plan....... ok..... and they want to eat a luna bar........ nutritionally, what could one subtract from thier daily exchanges to have that said Luna bar......... I have Lunas and LA bars left over ..... and even though I am doing NS now, I would like to incorporate my bars to use them up, I have a snack that is supposed to be a fruit and a protien, so like an apple and 1 oz of lite cheese.... or 15 grapes and 1 oz of Chicken breast...... if we say..... one fruit exchange say an appler, 65 calories....... and 1 oz of chicken breast is... 9 g of protien, 45 cal. (info from nutritionaldata.com)..... that would be 110 cal, 9 g of protien.... hmmm could we then say that a luna bar could go in place of my 1 fruit 1 protien snack? I guess the luna would be over about 50 cal

Help! I want to fit my lunas in!
zambejaly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #30  
Plan #3-no lites

S/C/G: 198/179/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidKayaker View Post
Krista, what is it you don't like about the LUNAs? Too crumbly / not chewy enough? Just wondering, I like LUNAs alright but prefer others to them.
I like the chewy consistency of the Lite Bars. The Lite bars that I like are either a Milky Way/Zero Bar consistency or like a brownie. The Luna bars that I've tried all have a crispy rice type consistency and I don't like that. I'll try the Balance bars. I've seen those in the stores, so I'll try them. Thanks for the info.
KSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote