Old 10-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #1  
Britt/LAWL~Red

Default Did you see Oprah today?

I had never thought about adding puree to things I already cook in order to add veggies. It sounds like a great idea. So here is my question. Would you count these veggies as an actual veggie? I mean you are basically only adding 1/2 to 1 cup to the reciepe and that obviously not a full serving. If you saw the new cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld what did you think?
brittyboo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/???/170

I thought this was a great idea. I never knew you could do this. My family doesn't eat alot of veggies, and that would be a good way to up your intake of veggies and fruit. I don't know how you would count it. But if you do it every meal, then I guess it could add up to a serving of vegetables. I have no idea. But I am going to buy the book, and try it out!!!
Amy0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #3  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Yes it was pretty ingenious actually, smart lady. FYI oprah has Jessica Seinfields recipes posted on her website oprah.com, so you may want to try them yourself before even buying the book.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I meant to watch it... sounds like it's a great idea for kids!

Not sure how to count it though.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:20 PM   #5  

I will check out the website. I think it's a great idea for children. However, I do think us adults need to be careful. I can see where we might think that a food item is now "healthy" due to the veggie puree and overeat. And eating Brownies, even with veggies in them, will probably be a very tempting food and could very well put on weight.
Fun Size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #6  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

I loved the ideas! I am wanting to try those brownies bad! I am having such a prob getting my veggies in! I totally related with those kids on broccoli and spinach! I over did it the first month with those veggies and now Im burnt out!! I really want to try those recipes.
bradleys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:17 PM   #7  
doing LAWL since May25/07

S/C/G: 174.4/132.5/130.0

Height: 5'1"

I know I've heard of people who juice adding the left over pulp to food, I guess it's the same idea? I have no idea how to count it though, the juice too for that matter.
NaomiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:18 PM   #8  
it's always something

I'll have to buy that book! I recently bought the Sneaky Chef, which sound similar. The author created recipes for a variety of fruit and vegetable purees which you add to recipes, and it's designed for getting kids to eat their veggies. I'm sure LAWL members include plenty of veggies in your diet, but there's a surprisingly large number of adults that have a strong aversion to veggies, and this tactic could prove helpful.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:21 PM   #9  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

Suzanne You are so right! My MIL dislikes most veggies, so she never ate them, so my husband was never introduced to them, and is now too chicken to try them! But it is crazy that a lot of adults are more finicky over brussels sprouts and spinach than some kids are! (including myself!!!)

I wonder if there is somewhere you could send a pic of yourself for the to do that aging thing they did for that family today? I would really like to know how I would look 20 years from now, on either side of the spectrum.

Last edited by bradleys mom; 10-08-2007 at 11:23 PM.
bradleys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #10  

Height: 5'4"

Hey everyone,

I just bought this book at Costco for $14.99. Since it lists for $24.99 I wanted to pass this savings on. It is a neat book (thanks to Britt for posting the original info) and I had the chance to glance through it in the store. The recipes look easy and most of all, yummy.

Have a great afternoon.
Roberta
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote