3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   Tips for Thanksgiving (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/124344-tips-thanksgiving.html)

Marley 10-04-2007 04:12 PM

Tips for Thanksgiving

Hey All,

I'm new to LAWL, just this week! Bad timing for its Thanksgiving in Canada this weekend and I have TWO dinners to go to. Any tips or tricks anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

marzbe 10-04-2007 05:16 PM

Protein and simple veggies. Ignore any potato dishes. ;) Works like a charm. That's how I got trhough both Thanksgiving and X-mas last year with losing weight both times.

Marley 10-04-2007 05:43 PM

Thanks Marzbe! It will be hard to ignore the potatoes, but it will be worth it in the end!

3plusme 10-04-2007 05:44 PM

Also portion control always does the trick. Dont go back for 2nds. Remember we should eat to live not live to eat.

Ternoway 10-04-2007 08:08 PM

Hey Marley,
I'll be celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend as well. If you're doing the cooking, the La Lite cookbook has a few on plan recipes for some of the holiday favourites. For me it's the stuffing. I'm going to make that one for myself so I can still feel like I'm having my holiday indulgence without completely blowing it. Happy Thanksgiving!:)

Lynx 10-04-2007 08:46 PM

Like Megan said eat protein and simple veggies. What I have done in my planning for the day is to skip my protein at breakfast and instead have something like a low fat yogurt parfait with fruit for breakfast. Maybe also a starch like fiber one or oatmeal if you have enough starches to use up.
I have 2 1/2 P for the day on Plan 2 so then I can have the extra protein that I saved from breakfast at the special meal. It helps to save the protein, I find, because I have to eyeball the portion size instead of weighing the protein like I would do at home.

If it a family gathering and you are bringing a food dish, be sure to bring a recipe on plan or a raw veggie tray of something like that.

I have not felt deprived and I have been able to stay in the "zone" as I like to call it and on program. I also have lost weight even with special dinners like Thanksgiving and weddings.

week 39
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 48 lbs.

KrispieD 10-05-2007 11:55 AM

Welcome Marley
I started LAWL last year the week before Thanksgiving. I planned my day out accordingly and took my little scale with me and had my alloted portion of turkey, no gravy. I made a portion of my own boiled potatoes at home so I could by pass the mashed at the family dinner and also brought a huge salad.. something that never seems to make it on the table for big gatherings. I loaded up on any vegs but grabbed them before they got soaked in butter or oils and use 1 Fruit for 3 ozs of wine to feel like I was enjoying with the Thanksgiving toast.
It was a hard weekend and I actually didn't lose any weight that weekend which I was very ticked about.. but my body was adjusting.. more likely in shock and I ended up a with a great loss towards the end of the week. So don't get hung up on the numbers on Monday, plan ahead and it is tough but a year later I can say I am so glad I got myself in check around the holidays.. if you can survive those, you can survive anything.
Welcome again and ask any questions you have.. we're here to help!

Marley 10-05-2007 03:01 PM

Thanks for all your tips, guys! I feel more confident now going into this weekend!