Old 01-23-2007, 02:02 PM   #1  

Height: 5'2"

Question Any tips for eating out Mexican?

Hey all! A co-worker of mine is leaving the company, and we are all going out to eat Friday at a little Mexican place nearby as a "send off." My manager knows about my diet and asked if I would be able to go, I said yes because I don't want to NOT go, but I know that Mexican probably isn't the best thing for me to be eating right now. I know that my meal plan book and the binder has some tips, but I wanted to find out what any of y'all have done in similar situations. I know to stay away from the chips and salsa and refried beans (my faves). I am not fond of fish at all, so any of the seafood dishes are out.

Thanks!!
mamato2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:47 PM   #2  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

Taco Salad, no shell and grilled chicken.

I treated myself to a grilled chicken quesadilla this weekend, and I enjoyed every bite of it. I counted it as a carb craver and my beloved guacomole as a daily fat. To up the veggie cotent I loaded the thing with the pico de gallo. Granted we're regulars at the place around the corner, and I know they grill the chicken, use a pannini press on the quesidillas, and make the pico de gallo fresh every morning!
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #3  
LAWL Salt Police

I agree.. Taco Salad.. Also make sure they don't dolup on the sour cream and guacamole.. Which, I know, is the "best" part..

I usually ask for additional salsa on the side as for some reason pico de gallo doesn't agree with me..

I also don't worry TOO much about the beef vs. the chicken.. At a restaurant, both are loaded with salt.. While the beef may be fattier, I can't imagine it's THAT much more bad for you.. Considering how much chicken I've been eating lately, I'm ready for some beef...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #4  
Kate - LAWL since 10/06

S/C/G: 211.0/154.2/130.0

Height: 5'1"

Fajitas are always a good option, minus tortillas and cheese. And LOTS of hot lemon water when you get home to help with the salt.
katiebug77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:37 PM   #5  
LAWL Salt Police

But then what's the fun of fajitas if you don't get the tortillas and cheese?
Old 01-23-2007, 03:41 PM   #6  
Kate - LAWL since 10/06

I know, I know. Sort of like lemon water pales in comparison to a yummy margarita.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:48 PM   #7  
LAWL Salt Police

Well, if it makes you feel better, rub the rim of your water glass with lemon and then dip it in "Morton's Lite" or "NoSalt" before you mix your lemon water.. Add a lime slice and you're all set! TIEMPO PARA LA FIESTA!!
Old 01-23-2007, 03:57 PM   #8  
Kate - LAWL since 10/06

I like the way you think!!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 04:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

I usually choose chicken fajitas on the tortillas but avoid the cheese, guacamole and sour cream. Top them with lettuce, tomatotes and salsa.

Don't go crazy but it is only one evening, be sure to get back on track the next day and plenty of water. Have fun!
wanna b thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:07 PM   #10  

Thanks for the suggestions! I was thinking Taco salad would probably be my best bet. I'm not sure I would enjoy the fajitas that much knowing I was missing out on the tortillas and cheese. And, I like the lemon water idea!!
mamato2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:16 PM   #11  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

You can always save starches, dairy, and the fat to have the fajitas!

Though I'd rather have the fajitas without the tortillas and toss on a shot or two of tequilla! Though could a margarita on the rocks count as a starch and a fruit?
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:24 PM   #12  
Nancy is on the go again

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'3'

Talking about Taco Salad, that's happens to be on the menu tonight for supper. I am trying to fix two seperate meats. Ground beef for the family, with Taco seasoning, and sauce. And ground turkey for me. But I can't seem to locate a recipe for that!! What do you put in the meat instead of the taco seasoning packet?? Anybody knows?
LittleBlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:34 PM   #13  
LAWL Salt Police

What I do to spice it up is add powdered (or fresh) garlic, paprika, chipotle chile pepper (powdered) and fresh ground pepper. You can substitute the paprika and chipotle with cayanne pepper powder (but only if you like it REALLY hot.. I would also add some morton's lite or salt-free alternative.

Add onion powder and ground corriander or fresh, finely chopped cilantro (but don't add that in until the turkey is almost cooked. Also, if you use fresh garlic, you may want to give it a quick saute and remove it from the heat until the turkey is almost cooked.. You don't want to burn it!

You may also use regular chile powder, but you need to look at the ingredients. Regular chile powder contains salt.

For a really spicy kick, you can add some canned chipotle chiles (finely chopped) and the adobo sauce they are packed in.. Again, look at the sodium content before you do that.. Be warned.. The good stuff can be REALLY hot...
Old 01-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #14  
Nancy is on the go again

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'3'

Dan - Awesome!! I had a feeling you'd know what to do! I will try that tonight
LittleBlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #15  
LAWL Salt Police

Good luck with it.. Us New Mexicans know how to add some spice.. to food...