3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   July 30-Aug 5th (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/119198-july-30-aug-5th.html)

Dan2112 07-31-2007 04:50 PM

Hi everyone.. Busy day as always...

WAY TO GO FELICIA!!! You'll be in two-topia before you know it!!!

I may have overdone it a bit with starch at lunch.. I had a teriaki bowl and probably ate more of the rice than I should.. It just tasted so good.. But at least I got lots of veggies in..

Hope you're all having a great day..

dolphn545 07-31-2007 06:16 PM

Just popping in to say HI! :wave:

JM - Welcome back!! I'm one of those parents whose children were in daycare since they were 2 months old. They are older now, and believe me, there are some days I wish I could send them back before they put me in a nut house!!

dolphn545 07-31-2007 06:20 PM

BTW - quick question - anybody make goulash? If so, what do you count it as? I was thinking S, V, P. Sound about right?
(ok, well that was 3 questions ...)

BarbaraB 07-31-2007 06:26 PM

Hi All, I know that my daughter and mom would not have the close relationship that they do if I hadn't sent her down there alone to spend time with my mom. It was hard to put her on a plane (starting age 6) but she benefited a lot more than just parents who were glad to have a break and reconnect with the adult world. That relationship added something truly special to her life. It does require a lot of trust though, and my mom loves kids and is amazing with teens, which is a rare skill. Not a lot of people WANT your 13 year old to come and visit, so lay the groundwork now.. Since you WILL need a break then. A 13 year old will not go and visit someone they don't know and like willingly. I had my sister go and stay with my 16 year old daughter when we went on a cruise for our 20th wedding anniversary, and all I can say, is I will always be grateful to my sister for being willing, and I do think they got to know each other better, even if my daughter was a big pouty baby who kept claiming she did not need a baby sitter and why are you people so uptight about one little party... I think that phase is over and we are leaving her home alone next week.

gotta run

JLem311 07-31-2007 07:07 PM

hey everyone. just checking in for the day. not much going on. i skipped my workout this afternoon and took a 2hr nap instead. really needed it too.
i will be back at the workout routine tomorrow though and get my 3 for the week done!

good to see you back JM!

ok, off for now. might be back later. have a great evening!

and debbie (my twin from TN!) where are you? are you lurking? if so, get back here and let's do a workout challenge girlie!

amylou7777 07-31-2007 09:32 PM

Hey guys!

Sounds like there have been some great losses-Felicia, Jillian-wow!

I haven't caught up on today's posts quite yet. I got an icky bout of the FLU yesterday and am still recovering. It was NO fun. I couldn't keep anything down so needless to say my W/I today showed a significant loss. I'm going to move the ticker down 3...I'm hoping that is more accurate. I've been really good lately so I think 3lbs is fair..we'll see if it sticks!

I'm going to catch up on everyone's posts now!

Hope everyone is having a great night! GOod to see Angie and Lettie are back around! I was just going to ask about Deb and Brit too! Where are you guys?

bahamadream10 07-31-2007 09:42 PM

Julie Marie
I know how hard it was leaving my kids for the first time at daycare, it was easier for my son to get used to it but my daughter is 4 and she still gives me a hard time got help me the first day of kindergarten I hope this phase ends soon! Don't ever feel guilty about having some time to yourself. My parents are not alive anymore my mom passed away 7 yrs ago and my father passed away when I was 10 months old and my in laws are not comfortable staying with my kids overnight, so even if I could I don't know who I would leave them with. Having someone you trust with your children is a blessing. You will just be a more attentive, loving mother if you have that time to relax and sleep or just to have that time to yourself even if it is for the night. We all have been there and support you. Hang in there! My prayers are with you.

Boo'sMom 07-31-2007 10:31 PM

Evening all--crazy day, signed my contract--yeah!, just caught up on this thread, then going to BED!!! Went to my first kickboxing class tonight and I might be slowly dying--UGH--sweated buckets but feel pretty accomplished right now--we'll see how I feel in the morning!

Goodnight to all!

bahamadream10 07-31-2007 10:44 PM

Call me crazy but how do you post a new thread to ask a question? I am new at this and for some reason I can't figure it out, maybe I just need to go to bed and sleep off my pounding headache!!!!!

Mama Nicole 07-31-2007 11:08 PM

Hello to all my fatty friends :).........ohhh, and a big old shout out to JM. I have missed you all SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much. First I was in Wisconsin for three weeks, and then when I got home, my internet was down. I finally got it straightened out with our ISP, and we are all good again!!! But boy oh boy, I bet my chores are going to suffer now......LOL.

I have only read this weeks loser's thread, so I am a bit lost.........but I'm sure I will catch up soon. My garden groweth immensly........lol. DH has made 16 quarts of pickles, 16 quarts of dilly beans, 12 pints of salsa, and we have had fresh cucumbers, tomatos and green peppers every day for a month. It has been fabulous :) We did cut our very first watermelon on Saturday, and it was almost ready, and superb. It looks like the canteloupe will be ready next week. Yum yum yum :)

When I got home last week, DH had our entire house spotless, and he suprised me with a gift under my pillow. It was the cutest thing ever. Mind you.......this is completely out of character for him..........but he even wrapped it..............albiet in 4th of July newspaper with electrical tape and a home made card made of a 3 X 5 ruled notecard.............it was a present......for me.......wrapped........under my pillow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He bought me a digital camera that I have wanted for ages. I about died. Then I asked him where on earth he got the cash for it, as he never has any $$$$.....and he admitted that he won a poker tournament in Indiana when he was on business. DH rarely gambles, and when he does, does so very carefully.........so it was just perfect!!!!!!!!! On the card, he said something like.....for my wife......cuz I love you, and I missed you. Isn't that cute?

Anyway..........4 yo DS did exceptional with his tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy and tubes. The only problem we ran into was a touch of consitpation......which, ...........ANGIE.......poop story ahead................he has decided to run with. He is now holding his urge as long as humany possible in order to make the biggest poop he can possibly make. And yeah, he is almost 5 years old............so anyone training a boy.........have no fear.......you get to be grossed out for years to come :) I know, it's gross, but that's what I'm here for. I am going to have to give him the old metamucil/mineral oil treatment again so he can't hold it anymore. Oh, the things we do for love.

So, has anyone been losing well lately? Fill me in ladies....and Dan. And what did I read about some Phil guy??????

Yeah, now is your chance to brag........cuz I am so far behind.....but I want to know if anyone is working it.

Oh, how I have missed you all :)

Ok, have to get to bed now................I will check back in the morning :)
XOXO

Dan2112 08-01-2007 12:17 AM

Nicole.. I was making a joking reference to "Dr. Phil"...

And I hope that salsa is low sodium!!! :lol: I'm envious of your garden.. I wish we had room for a proper food garden..

Nanette - up at the top of the main LAWL forum thread listings, there's a little box that says something like "new thread" or "post new thread"... click that and you'll be golden..

lizababe 08-01-2007 12:41 AM

Hiya everyone!

Nicole - I missed you!!!! With that garden there's no excuse not to get all of your veggies in now huh?

Felicia - GREAT job on your loss!

I'm so proud of and inspired by all of you.. I can't wait to have the same successes!

It's been busy since Mini Me returned. I wasn't so POP over the weekend but not really that bad either. The thing that hasn't been OP is exercise and I'm back on track with that this week. I had a GREAT run with the dog tonight and am so proud of myself. As I was running I realized that I miss playing tennis. I was pretty good at it back in the day and now I have to find someone who wants to play with me (and isn't a sore loser.. I always play to win)

On the subject of the kids.. I agree with (I'm sorry I can't remember who it was) the one who said they maybe in between growth spurts. Lead by example and they will follow your path eventually. If you are eating healthy and exercising they will want to as well and things will even out. It's tough with junk foods that are marketed directly to our youth and schools that fill their cafeterias with it. I'm having the opposite with Mini Me as she truly is my Mini Me.. she's barely eating. Genetics in both sides of my family say that she's about right at almost 16 years old and 93 lbs but all it took was a car accident to send me the other way. I lectured her tonight that she will seriously mess up her metabolism and end up fighting the same fight I am if she doesn't take care of herself and EAT! Now mind you, if there were junk food in the house she'd have no problems eating all day. Everything in here is organic and healthy so she's being picky and electing not to eat at all.

Dan - I respect that you admit you have been a bit harsh with your daughter. Please please please be careful with how much attention you draw to this matter. A little tummy at her age is not unusual. I went to the extremes that I did as a teenager because of the way people reacted to my sudden weight gain after my accident. I starved myself and when I did eat a little, I purged because everyone insisted I was fat because I ate too much. I realize as an adult, the only ones who picked on me were doing so out of insecurity because they were overweight themselves. I had many people who didn't, but I only heard the hurtful words not the compliments (I was a size 6 but my family made me feel like a 60) Ok, that's the end of my opinion on that. You know what those are like and yes, everyone has one.

On another note, I got suckered back into the chopper gig. It's only a couple of times a month though so it's not so bad. Tomorrow is a big seminar on safety during fires and they will include protocol to cover the recent events.

I hope everyone is doing great, losing and staying POP!

Prazteam 08-01-2007 12:42 AM

Tina - You are TOO sweet!

JM - You are adorable! I'll live vicariously through your baby! Mine have just turned 14 and next month 17! YIKES!

Nicole - You reminded me (fondly!) of when I was potty training my boys and used foot loops for them to "aim" at... 1 point for a green, two for a yellow and three points for a red!!! WOOHOO! And I even made some "potty" paper with bulls eyes on them. You tear one square off and float it in the potty for them to aim at! I'm telling you. Both boys were potty trained in a few days and each one had ONE accident... WHEW! Thanks for that. I love those memories that sometimes just jump out at you and leave you with that warm fuzzy feeling and a funny smile on your face! - Your garden sounds wonderful. Ours is just coming in. We've had cukes, yellow zucchini and yellow squash for several weeks, peppers and tomatos getting ready to come in. DH didn't plant watermelons this year but they came up wild from last year and he grew one that was 22 pounds and one that was 28 pounds!!! They look amazing! I can't wait to try them. He picked them today and we're waiting until they're good and cold! Canteloupes should be coming in soon.
Of course, we'll have ALL KINDS of peppers coming out the wazoo in a few weeks... I'll be putting up cooked squash and zucchini this week in the freezer. DH planted an apple seed in the green house and low and behold, we've got an apple tree over a foot tall... We left in there with the herbs. They all seem to do so well in there... why bother planting them?!? (it's a lot cleaner with the herbs in there instead of in the garden!)
Well, it's late so I gotta get some things done and go to bed when dh gets home around 4 a.m.
You all really bless me! What a wonderful group!
:hug:
Blessings,

bahamadream10 08-01-2007 08:37 AM

Happy Wednesday everyone the week is almost over whoopee!!!!!!!!!
Nicole- All this talk about the pooping makes me go back to when my son was also having problems he would hold it until there was so much he would get backed up he was on Miralax from ages 3-5! I then found a vegetable vitamin at a health food store here that is called KidzGreenz with taking 2 of those he hasn't a problem in 2 years, thank heavans. So I have been there and there is hope in your future, I can emphatize with you whole heartedly.

Pearl- Good idea with the froot loops, I used cheerios but the froot loops would of been cool I wish I would of thought of that!

Dan-Thanks for the tip I will try and figure it out when I have had more caffeine in me.

Regarding the pressure on these kids to be thin. I unfortunately have raised a 7 yr old son that is obsessed with the scale. He weighs himself constantly after eating , after pooping. I am trying to teach him it isn't all about the weight it is about being healthy. It is hard though he sees me weigh myself every morning and he hears me say no to things because it isn't on my diet. I lived a life being made fun of because I was overweight and I don't want to have to experience that, but I also don't want him to constantly worry about what he looks like on the outside. Ahhhh parenting is so confusing and frustrating sometimes. I don't know how my mom did it with 11 of us 6 brothers and 5 sisters, I can't even do it with 2. I would do anything to have my mother here to ask her questions what I wouldn't do!!!

On another note this is day 8 of the 21 day boost for me and I cannot get below 153.0 what is my problem will I ever see the 140's again. I am so frustrated I haven't cheated once in the last 4 days and I haven't seen any budge on the scale.

Have a great day everyone.
Nanette

Repo girl 08-01-2007 08:59 AM

Hi everyone! I saw a good article on MSN this morning and wanted to share:

You know those suggestive little voices that whisper in your ear... and suddenly you're knee-deep in ice cream? Change the sabotaging, discipline-destroying thoughts, and you can change your life—or at least your weight.

I ordered the grilled cheese, so why not get the fries, too?

One treat at a time. I'm indulging in grilled cheese, so I'll trade the fries for a salad.

Here's How: "The thought pattern is, I've already blown it for today, so I might as well keep going," says Janet Polivy, PhD, a psychology professor at the University of Toronto. She calls it the "what the ****" effect and says it causes people to devour so much food that they feel they'll never get back on track. To prevent this scenario from playing over and over, Polivy says, you have to redefine your idea of healthy eating. Allow yourself the occasional treat, as long as it's accompanied by smarter food choices like fresh fruit and vegetables. At roughly 500 calories, one melted cheddar on rye a week should hardly make you fat. Habitually tacking on a large order of fries, however, might.

I'll just have this one cookie.

If I can't stop at one or two cookies, I shouldn't have any at all.

Here's How: We stand by the above tip that it's okay to eat your favorite foods, provided you're the type who can stop after a small amount. "One cookie could turn into 1,000 calories or more if you proceed to eat the whole bag," warns Stephen Gullo, PhD, president of the Institute for Health and Weight Sciences. He suggests that you take a step back and honestly assess how you've reacted to your favorite foods in the past. You may discover that chocolate chip cookies trigger uncontrollable cravings but one square of dark chocolate appeases your sweet tooth quite nicely.

My husband says I look fat, so I guess I should start exercising.

I want to get in shape for myself, not for him.

Here's How: Whether or not you need to shed a few pounds, acting in response to someone else's hurtful remarks will breed self-doubt and lower your self-esteem, says Marlene Schwartz, PhD, co-director of the Yale Center for Eating and Weight Disorders in New Haven, Connecticut. To reset your weight loss goals so they revolve solely around you, sit down and figure out how you could benefit from changing your lifestyle. (Writing your thoughts out on paper might help.) If you identify areas that need improvement, talk to your spouse about how he can play a part: Plan low-fat weekly menus together in lieu of eating out, or take walks after dinner instead of watching TV. Alternatively, if you're exercising, eating right, and feeling pretty healthy the way you are, Schwartz says, "tell him that this is his problem, not yours."

What's the point of losing weight during the winter? I'll get in shape come summer.

By eating more now, I'm creating a lot of extra work for myself when spring rolls around.

Here's How: A study by scientists at the National Institutes of Health tracked 195 people through the holidays and found an average weight gain of about a pound.

By the following year, most had gained another half pound, and the researchers predicted that the trend would only continue. To prevent this outward creep, Gullo says, keep thoughts of summer in your house all year long by hanging a bikini or skimpy sundress on the back of the bathroom door, and visualize yourself wearing it every time you head for the leftovers. He also proposes committing to a regular exercise program in the fall, "before the winter blahs set in," because lugging last night's comfort food through an hour-long spinning class isn't so comfortable.

Fat runs in my family, so why bother exercising?

I can't change my DNA, but I can change my fate.

Here's How: "Genetics helps determine your natural weight range, but you have some control over where you fall within that range," says Edward Abramson, PhD, an expert on obesity, dieting, and weight disorders and the author of Body Intelligence. Rather than aiming for a size 2, aim for health: If being overweight is a family trait, diabetes, heart disease, and other obesity-related illnesses could be, too, Schwartz says. Walk to the grocery store, choose the stairs over the escalator, and take good care of the body you were born with. "It's important to distinguish between body size and body health," she says. "Research shows that people who are overweight and physically fit can live longer than people who are ideal weight and not physically fit."

After that grueling workout, I deserve a bacon double cheeseburger.

After busting my butt at the gym, my body deserves the VIP treatment.

Here's How: "Most people overestimate the number of calories they've burned," says Brian Wansink, PhD, a professor of marketing, applied economics, and nutritional science at Cornell University and author of Marketing Nutrition. To burn off a bacon double cheeseburger, the average 140-pound woman has to jog at a rate of five miles per hour for more than 60 minutes. Recast your concept of reward: Instead of seeking food, take a luxurious bubble bath, rent a guilty-pleasure movie, buy a new pair of shoes, or lose yourself in a good novel.

I'll grab a candy bar to get me through my mid afternoon slump.

When my energy flags, I need food that will help me go the distance.

Here's How: Candy and other sweets have little nutritional value, and they destabilize blood sugar, causing you to have more cravings later on, Gullo says. To head off a snack attack, he suggests, "reprogram yourself to seek out a mini-meal 30 minutes before you usually hit a slump." By eating before you're famished, you should be able to resist the sweet stuff and choose foods with enough protein, fat, and complex carbs to keep you sated and energized until dinner. Some of Gullo's top picks: bran crackers with low-fat cheese, a hard-boiled egg, or a cup of low-fat yogurt.