Old 07-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #1  

Default Ground Turkey Recipes?

Does Anyone Have Any Favorite Ground Turkey Recipes?? It Was On Sale Buy One Get One Free So I Bought A Bunch And Dont Know What To Make With It ....soo Just Looking For Some Good Ideas
Thanks Jamie
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #2  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Have you looked in the recipe threads above....also a favorite of mine.

Mom’s Turkey Meatloaf
Ingredients:
3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup skim milk
1 medium onion, peeled
2 pounds ground turkey breast
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup egg substitute, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup ketchup, no added salt
1/2 teaspoon Morton Lite Salt®
Freshly ground black pepper
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce, no added salt

Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a small bowl, stir together the oats and milk. Thinly slice 1/4 of the onion and set aside. Finely chop the remaining onion.

In a large bowl combine the turkey, oat mixture, chopped onion, bell pepper, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, salt and a few grinds of pepper. Mix just until well combined.

Transfer the mixture to a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and shape into a loaf about 5 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches high. Pour the tomato sauce over the meatloaf and sprinkle with the sliced onions.
Bake for about 1 hour, or until an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.

Makes: 8 servings
Serving size: 1/8 recipe
LA Exchange: 1 Protein, 1 Vegetable
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:24 PM   #3  
Kristen-LAWL

S/C/G: 251/215/155

Height: 5 8 1/2"

I posted a great Cheesy Taco Salad in the recipe thread as well.. tastes like a take out meal.. we make it on weekends for a treat.
Also there are some great Turkey Burger recipes in the latest cookbook.. we never ate ground turkey before LAWL but we have been converted.

Enjoy!
KrispieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #4  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Hey Jamie! I love ground turkey for cooking, as well. I will post a few of my favorites.

Turkey Melt (Sommer's Recipe)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turkey Melt Recipe

Ingredients:
1lb ground turkey
1-2 tbl hoisin sauce
Dash of garlic powder or to taste
1 tsp Mustard powder
Swiss Cheese slices
9 Grain Healthy Choice bread (2 per melt)
Low Fat may (I like Smart Balance)
Sliced Tomato

1. Mix turkey, hoisin sauce, garlic, mustard and mix well. Make into patties and put in a pan to cook with Pam. About 10-13 minutes
2. When the turkey burgers are done, clean out pan and spray again with Pam and replace on heat.
3. Slice tomato and on one slice of bread spray butter flavored Pam on one side. Place in pan Pam side down and then pile on slice(s) of the cheese, sliced tomato and the burger, then another slice of bread with one side sprayed with Pam. (Sort of like a grilled cheese, only not with butter.)
4. Cook on both sides until cheese is melted and bread is toasted golden. Add mayo or mustard or any condiment you prefer. Eat!

With Mayo: 1Protein, 2 Starch, 1Fat, 1/2-1 Vegetable
Without Mayo: No Fat

Ideas: Cut up the rest of the tomato and spray the pan again with a little pam and place the tomato in. Cook for a couple of minutes and flip. Sprinkle with basil or vegetable seasoning. You get all of your veggies in this way! Or add lettuce and onions to the burger for your extra veggie.
Don't want the extra starch? Eat the melt open faced! Healthy Choice's 9 grain bread slices are very large they are also naturally flavorful. Cut it and half and make your burgers alittle smaller. They fit perfectly on half the sandwhich!

Cheeseburger and Fries Casserole

Ingredients:

2 pounds lean ground beef or lean ground turkey breast
2 cups shredded, reduced-fat cheddar cheese
½ cup 1% milk
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed reduced-fat, reduced-sodium mushroom soup, undiluted
1 (20 ounce) package frozen French fries

Preparation:

In a skillet brown the beef and drain excess fat.
Stir in the cheese, milk, and soup.
Pour into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Arrange French fries on top.
Bake uncovered for 50 to 55 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until the fries are golden brown.

Makes: 8 servings

Serving size: 1/8 recipe

LA Exchange: 1 Protein, 1 Starch, 1 Fat, 1/2 Dairy, 1 Condiment

Cheesy Beef and Broccoli

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serves 4
1P/1V/ 1/2 Dairy

4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup raw white onion
1lb ground beef (or turkey)
2 cups broccoli
2tbsp flour
2tsp Worcestshire sauce
2 cups low fat milk
4 oz lite cheese

Saute until onion begins to soften 1-2 minutes

Add ground beef and stir till beginning to brown. Add broccoli and cook until broccoli is tender. While beef and broccoli are cooking whisk together white flour, Worchesthire sauce and skim milk
( I found 2 cups made it a bit too runny so I used 1 1/2 cups instead)
When broccoli is tender add the milk mixture and bring to a simmer allowing to thicken for a minute. Stir in cheese and blend well. Allow to stand for 3-4 minutes.

I serve this with 1/3 cup of brown rice or 1/3 cup vermicelli pasta and add
1 starch exchage.

Family loves it and it is great frozen and reheated. I also top mine with No salt added seasoning for extra flavor or hot sauce.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #5  
That's me on the left

S/C/G: 295/221.5/195

You can use ground turkey in anything you would use ground beef in. I always use ground turkey because bround beef is too expensive. And that was even before LAWL. I can get a pound around here for $0.99 regular price. You may notice a bit of a taste difference for a little bit just because you're used to beef but after a while it's no different! The other night, I made the meatball sandwiches out of the LAWL cookbook (yum!). It calls for sirloin, which is really expensive to me, but I used ground turkey instead. Just as good in my opinion. Hope that helps!

Marie
mgresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #6  
FBD/8-18-08

Jamie - To be honest, we don't like the "taste" of ground turkey unless I spice it up so most of my recipes call for spices and herbs! I make my own italian sausage by adding a lot of ground fennel, a little cayenne, love it in stuffed peppers or as patties with peppers and onions.
I also make my own breakfast sausage by adding sage and ground pepper.
I have a recipe I may have posted for spice turkey burgers and they are awesome! You would never know they were turkey and I use them in a dish with cabbage, tomatoes, and onions. Kind of like a cabbage, but all cut up in pieces. Let me know if you don't see it and i'll post it again.
Blessings,
Prazteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:13 PM   #7  
Started June 1st '07

S/C/G: 205/165

Height: 5'6"

Maybe I bought the wrong stuff...
A few months or more ago I saw "tubes" of ground turkey on sale so I bought some. Well, never got around to using it until the freezer died and I either had to cook everything or toss it.
So I opened this "tube" of ground turkey - it looked like, um... baby... Okay, it was all mooshie and gross looking when I put it in the pan. I put some Mrs Dash on it and let it cook - figured what the heck let's see what it looks like cooked.

Well, once it was cooked it looked like cooked ground hamburger - not bad looking. Had a small piece to try, not bad tasting. However my mind kept going back to the moosh in the pan... I ended up tossing it - for the fear that it wasn't "right".

Was this "right"?

My Grandma uses ground turkey where ever it calls for ground beef - healthier for her & gramps.
Snowdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #8  
Restart lawl 7-14-08

S/C/G: 150.2/?/127

Height: 5'5"

Katie, is that cheeseburger and fries casserole really LAWL approved? It is too good to be true i was thinking about it at 6 am in my shower this morning. I have some ground turkey that I need to use.
Thanks for sharing!
hollyak24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Snowdogs - The "tube" of ground turkey is actually the same way ground beef comes to your store. Unless they grind the meat on-site, all meat - turkey, chicken, beef, pork - gets ground up at the processing plant and put into plastic tubes that look like big versions of the containers you get your breakfast sausage in. So it's wasn't "bad", just that you saw it before it got to the final packaging most grocery stores use.

One note on the ground turkey too... Remember that ground turkey has just about the same calories, fat, etc. as regular ground beef. That's because they grind up everything, white meat, dark meat, even the skin. That's why I buy the lean ground beef that is 93% lean when it's on sale. The ground turkey breast, which is what is lowest in fat and calories is usually much more expensive.

Just my two cents.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:38 PM   #10  
Restart lawl 7-14-08

S/C/G: 150.2/?/127

Cassi,
That is a good point. I buy the honeysuckle ground white turkey. It is definitely leaner than ground beef and it is very tasty with seasonings. My family will only eat it if I don’t tell them what it is though. They think they only like ground beef.
hollyak24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #11  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

I totally agree with Cassi on the contents of plain ground turkey. However, I've barely had a taste for ground beef in the last decade, so for me its always been turkey. I use it as a subsititue as to any thing beef can be cooked in. That being said, I splurge and buy the ground turkey breast since it's a staple in my diet.

My favorite plan friendly recipe is to toss a protein's worth of ground turkey into a frying pan and brown it with some sort of seasoning, I then toss in diced peppers and onions. Top it off with a quarter cup of tomato puree. Easy way to get in however many vegetables I need to at the end of a crazy day.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 283.6/262.4/175

Height: 5'9

I did that last night for dinner and it was yummy. Sauted zuccini in Pam spray with fresh garlic and mixed that in with 6 oz of ground turkey (which is ALOT OF MEAT by the way!!). Poured 1/2 cup of low-sodium diced tomatoes and threw in some oregano in the mix. Served over 1/3 cup of whole wheat pasta and made my own spaghetti version. It was really good! I cooked regular spaghetti for the rest of the family and that way I didn't feel like I was missing out. I actually cooked a whole tube and just saved what I didn't use for another night. We planned on taco night one night this week so I'm going to do the Cheesy Taco salad recipe for myself!
FatGalnAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #13  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Yummmm! I love the zuchinni, turkey, pasta stuff. I may have to make that for dinner now.

Holly- Oh, yeah, it is approved, and dang is it good.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #14  
Debbie on LAWL

S/C/G: 239/223/135

Height: 5'5

I too buy ground turkey breast. I can catch it on sale every now and then and I stock up. I can satisfy many cravings...In the winter Turkey chili is THE BEST! I also do the Taco version - I use cumin, garlic and a small dash of chili powder...add in no salt diced tomato's and a can of green chile's and you are set. Sometimes I will brown ground turkey with veggies, garlic, lite salt and pepper...it's simple but filling and I can get my veggies in.

Pearl's sausage sounds delightful...Can I come over for dinner and/or breakfast?
Debbie367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #15  
Felicia

S/C/G: 323/TBA/145

Height: 5'6"

Our Kroger sells one kind of ground turkey that has Italian seasoning already in it. It's yummy!!
bayoubelle68 is offline   Reply With Quote