Old 02-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #1  
SnowyRiverGal

S/C/G: 226

Height: 5'6"

Question Where to find Expanded Restaurant Guide?

Greetings & Salutations all!

I am new to this site, and started LAWL 7 days ago, with a 5 lb loss so far. (Yeah!). Having tried countless other programs on my own with varied success, I figured if I was paying for it, I'd have more success than if I was not paying for it. My overall goal is a 75 lb. loss, and I'm determined to do it. However...

My job has me traveling 4+ days per week (both flying & driving), and when I joined, I was told that eating out was no problem... then I got the truncated restaurant guide with what I've learned is the "blue plan" and am disappointed. Weight Watchers eating out guide is far more extensive, but the counselors at LAWL have told me that the WW guide is non-compatible. Meaning, there's no formula to transfer WW points to LAWL "servings". Have any of you found a comparison chart, or a calculator for non-chain restuarants, and/or more extensive options for chain restaurants?

Any information would be VERY much appreciated!

Thank you and good luck to each and every one of you. You're worth it!
snowyrivergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

I have asked the same question numerous time, the counselors told me that they rearly update the restaurant guide. They said what you can do is if you have a copy of the menu in advanced, take it to them and they will help with food choices. They also to stay away from anything fried, in sauces, pasta, etc. It would to be nice to have and updated guide every so often though. You would think that they could send the list to the COD's and then they could copy it for their clients.
Bogieboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

SnowyRiver - First of all, welcome!

What you need to realize is that the LAWL plan is totally different from any other plan you've been on before. Yes, they do things a lot differently than other programs, Weight Watchers included, but if those programs worked for you then you wouldn't be here. As a former WW person who probably joined WW at least 20 times, there was a lot to learn when I started. Some things just aren't on your plan at this time. The plan is a lot more strict than WW, but it works. If it didn't, you wouldn't see the successes that we have on this board. It also has a much more comprehensive maintenance program. You need to forget about what you've learned about dieting and losing weight over the years and embrace the program. It's a lot of change, but if you commit to it, the rewards are great.

The restaurant guide is what it is. That being said, whenever you order out, try to find the menu online and then plan your day accordingly. You can get broiled chicken or fish anywhere. You can get salads anywhere. Just make sure to ask for yours without sauce, or get your sauce on the side. The counselors can help you with decisions as well.

It's definitely more tricky since you are traveling so often for work. I actually found it easier not to eat out for the first few months until I got the hang of the program. It doesn't seem you have that luxury.

One of the best things you can do is to plan your week in advance. Do you know when you are traveling? Do your destinations repeat over the course of a few months or are they always different? You know that there is a Chili's in virtually every airport. You can bring your Lites onboard as snacks. I have a Magic Bullet that I bring with me to work to mix up tuna salad and smoothies. Maybe that's an option for your suitcase? You can always pack a can of tuna and get some of the mayo packets from Costco and bring those and some spices and pitas. Quick meals from your hotel room. You can always find a grocery store nearby for some lettuce or other quick veggies.

If you would like to give some more information on your travel schedule, whether it's all business entertaining for your meals or if you have the option of dining in your room, I can try to help you out with some meal planning. And I'm sure there are plenty of others here who can jump in.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #4  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Snowyriver..........welcome!!! This is not going to be easy with traveling, but you can do it. We all have our various personal obstacles and battles...........and we have all had to make adjustments. I am not tying to trivialize your travel issue........it is very real, and you are smart to address it right from the start. Keep comming here, and keep getting your COD to help you. You are going to love this program, and you are going to love this forum. Oh, and Cassi is our virtual LAWL conselor.........she knows her stuff!!!

And, Cassi........when I read your post, I thought you said you pack your magic bullet to make tuna smoothies............not tuna and smoothies.......and I thought to myself, 'damn, this girl is REALLY committed....tuna smoothies.....LOL.'

XOXO
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #5  

EEEWWWWW! That being said, we are going to the zoo today and I packed my tuna and pita and string cheese and salad and carrots in a cooler and I am ready to go! It's all about pre-planning!
Old 02-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #6  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

Like Cassi said, it's all about the planning. And a Tuna Smoothie does sound refreshing Nicole!

SnowyRiver, I dropped 11 pounds in 3 weeks while working crazy 13 hour days during x-mas, while I wasn't eating out, I do know challenges!

Besides getting advice from your counselors, you can also use the sadly truncated restaruant guide as a driving force. For example, if I'm grabbing Subway, I order the six inch sandwich, have them cut it in 2 then only eat half the bread. As for other restaurants, a chicken caesar salad without dressing, and fajitas with just the veggies and the meat are always options.

Also, if you're going to be in a hotel with a fridge, popping to a supermarket for fresh veggies is possible. Nuts and raisins don't need to be refrigerated and they're both easily portable and can get through airport security!
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:55 AM   #7  
Shea- LAWL since 1/30/07

Height: 5'2

Welcome Snowyrivergal. I am new too, started LAWL FF Jan. 30th and the red plan Feb. 2nd. I don't have a whole lot of advice but I do have one important thing to say...stick to the plan. I have already learned this the hard way . I was down 4lbs. in my first two days on FF, then another 1 point something the next day...then I went out of town for the weekend not fully prepared and took on the attitude, "It's one weekend, I'll start back on monday". Monday came and I was up about 2lbs! I spent the rest of this week taking it off again.

My advice to you, listen to all the good advice that has been given to you. Be Prepared...Be Prepared...Be Prepared. It's so easy to slip when you are not prepared and hungry Pack a lot of fruit and veggies in your bag. Celery with peanut butter, raisins, grapes, nuts, an apple, orange, banana, cucumber slices, carrots, broccoli, and sugar snap peas. There are lots of foods that do not have to be refrigerated... or can last a while anyways. Plan your days in advance and shop for what you need. I realize that traveling makes it that much harder but you can do it.

I admire you for taking this on, losing the weight is hard enough; being away from home makes it that much tougher and you that much stronger

Best of luck...you can do it!

~Shea

PS. Cassi when I read magic bullet I thought you were going to talk about something else .
I can do this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:43 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by I can do this View Post
PS. Cassi when I read magic bullet I thought you were going to talk about something else .
Yeah, we had that discussion a few months ago. I was waiting for someone to mention that again!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #9  
LAWL Salt Police

WELCOME!!

I too, travel quite a bit during the year and have found it very simple to "pack a lunch" for several days.. I have one of those small coolers and when I travel, I keep tomatos, celery, various fruits and pre-cooked chicken tenders or other source of protein in it.. Makes it great when I drive and keeps me from stopping at truck stops and grabbing a bag of chips.

It's harder when you fly, but you can pack one of those soft sided lunch boxes (like the ones they sell at the COD) in your luggage and then hopefully stop at a supermarket near your hotel and buy enough veg and fruit for your stay..

If you have a layover at an airport, you can easily find food that works.. Most places in airports sell fruit cups and salads. You will, of course, pay quite a premium for the healthy stuff...

It can be done!!!
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote