Old 01-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5

Unhappy new schedule conflicts with diet

According to my school schedule, I'll have to go straight from school to work and it'll make eating OP even harder! I can eat breakfast good but carrying food may pose a problem. Lugging everything, plus books on a nice commute (2 trains and a ferry ride) will be annoying, to say the least. Plus I'm not a fan of walking (yet) so anything to make it easier will be good. Say I carry lunch with me, now what about dinner? I'll be home from work at 8:30 and I HATE eating that late. We have subway near my school but I learnd over the summer (the hard way) to have it like once or twice a week the most. Does anyone else have a schedule like this and unable to carry all their food?
truelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #2  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

the tuna kits are great and pretty small (P,S,f)
applesauce, mini V-8's (I have all 3 of these everyday for lunch)
you can carry string cheese, prunes, baggies of cut up veggies and fruits. It will take a lot of prepping and planning but you can do it. If you can figure out a way to keep slimfast cold that would be another easy option.

Just some thoughts--I know others will have some great ideas to add.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:32 PM   #3  

The tuna kits sound real good, I had no clue that they were OP! I can carry some food with me (just not a tupperware bowl of salad) but not too many. Lunch is doable but dinner is worrying me since I usually have it at work and now there's no way to get it there.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #4  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Nikki-Can you drive to work on the weekends? If so-would it be possible to take a week's worth of dinners and leave it there?
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #5  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

Not a food suggestion - but have you told the COD that you have a crazy schedule? I think that there is a different plan for people on the go - can any of you knowledgeable ladies chime in on that?
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #6  
On LAWL since 1/10/07

S/C/G: 212.8/183/140

Height: 5'8" or 9"

Nikki, I am a decorative painter/faux finisher which means I can have a pretty crazy schedule. Some days I am home all day, but others I need to be at a client's house by 8 or so and I like to work strait through (time is $). I usually won't leave until 6 p.m. or so. I have a client I am starting 1/29 and her house is 40 miles away - so add the commute and you are talking about a long day.

For days like this, I know it will require a supreme amount of pre-planning to stay OP. I will create mini meals that I can pack in my trusty cooler (not too big) and either eat cold fare or ask if I can use their micro (most clients are cool with that). Then, when I get home I'll probably only need a light snack. I know it seems like a ton of work and really inconvenient, but I keep thinking of the alternatives - continuing to do manual labor with an extra 60+ lbs. on me, climbing scaffolding at my size, etc.

Trust me, it is worth the commitment to pack it up the night before. Also, is it possible you could buy some dinner alternatives near work - salads from Subway (then you only have to carry dressing)? Try to map out some healthy alternatives on your route between school and work where you can pick up a chicken breast or something that works.

Hope this helps. I wish it were easier but I suppose if it were we'd all be waifish little things
DenverChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #7  

Julie- The fridge there is small and also, the other people use it and if it is not thrown out, it will be touched. I once left my lites there because they would melt in my bag and the girl that works in the mornings started eating them on me

thank you though!

Kim: I've thought about asking them that but for now I woant to try sticking to my current diet because it will definitely show motivation if I can! thank you

Libby: Thank you, those were some great tips! Oh, everything in life would be easier if we were waifish little things! lol
Old 01-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #8  
FBD/8-18-08

Okay, here's Ms. Practical...
First off, I'd plan my breakfast as my last meal since it will be late. Maybe a veggie omelet and eng. muffin? That sort of "dinner".
Next, go through your booklet and make a list of all the possibilities... Salad - add cooked chicken breast, tuna, shrimp, turkey breast, cheese, croutons, you've got a whole meal... requires a cold pack.
Next look at veggies, 1/2 c raw is nothing for most of them. (no cooking required)
Vegetarian protein - peanut butter, nuts, nut butters (no refrig), cottage cheese (cold pack)
Fruits - fresh/canned no problem. Starches-crackers, rice cakes, bread, etc... (no refrig)
So, there is a limitless list of possibilities... you just have to put them together! On the day you take a refrig. salad, take everything else that you can throw in your bag...
Here's the thing Nikki - HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT?!? Bad enough to get up a little earlier and pack? Stay up a little later and prepare? Sacrifice your "likes" for some healthier choices? If you really want to do this, you'll find a way. Talking with your COD does not mean defeat - it means a conquering attitude that will not accept defeat!
Lastly, the walking will be a great thing! Exercise!!! And remember to get a bag/cooler bag that is more of a sling than over one shoulder to prevent any back problems!
Best wishes girlfriend! You can do this!!! I KNOW you can!
We're here for ya!
Prazteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 199/191/179

Height: 5' 5-1/2"

Nikki - Have your dinner when you get home, but make it salad. Try to get all your fruits and starches in for Breakfast & Lunch, saving a few veggies for your later dinner. I'm sure with school you won't be going to bed right away at 8:30 p.m. You will have plenty of studying to do!!

This is where someone had suggested on another thread about the "reverse" diet may be helpful for you. Eat a huge breakfast, lighter lunch, and even lighter dinner. I like the way Lea Ann worded it.
Eat like a King for breakfast
Queen for lunch
and Pauper for dinner.

This way you will still get all your foods in, not be deprived, etc.
Just my thoughts ...
dolphn545 is offline   Reply With Quote