Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-17-2006, 08:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/149/130

Height: 5'5

Default Newbie needs help

I was a low-carber for around 7 years on and off. Highest weight was close to 160 (gained weight due to certain meds and depo). I quickly got down to the low 130's by low carbing (although never perservered enought to hit my final goal). Both mine and my husband's family have had quite a few deaths in the family during the last several years and with the sadness and stress, my weight crept up to 144. I went back to strict low-carbing again and it started to come off and then (not due to the diet) I came down with a kidney infection. Since it will take several months for my kidneys to heal themselves, I can no longer eat low-carb and must change my diet. I have been low-carbing for so long I have no damn clue what to do now. I have been eating a lot of fruit and low-glycemic veggies, but I have to have the carbs now too, so I've been keeping my fat under 40 grams daily and my calories under 1400 daily, carbs are around 120 daily. I am currently 136.5 lbs., 5'5, 30 years old. Goal is 115-120 (pre-weight before meds). Do you think this will work? Has this worked for anyone? I'm so scared that by having my carbs that high, the weight will just pile back on. I guess you could say if it isn't low carb, I'm clueless.......

Thanks for reading my story and thanks for any advice you can give.
Mismonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:43 PM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I'm a little shorter than you and I starter at a higher weight than you are now, but I've lost a little over 30 pounds by keeping my calories in the 1200 to 1400 range and eating even more carbs than you are. I haven't really been tracking them all along, but for the last two weeks, my carbs have averaged 200g per day. This includes carbs from fruit and veggies (my tracking system doesn't break them out separately from other carbs) and of course, pasta, bread products, rice, cereal, etc. There hasn't been anything unusual abount my eating habits in the last two weeks, so I'd guess that this is what I've been averaging for most of the time I've been limiting my calories.

Everyone is different but I can tell you that it's worked for me. I love my carbs and could never give them up entirely, so I never considered trying the low carb diets.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:08 PM   #3  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

Hi,

Try a calorie counting program (if you don't already) like fitday, and log what you eat. People that are NOT doing low carb do eat them, but everything else is in balance and within the amt of calories that we need to lose. Eat healthy food like lean meats (if you do eat meat), and veg like salads, and you can look at the glycemic index to see which carbs are lower GI than others, if you want to watch the carb aspect of it.

If you want to add some things like potato, rice, pasta, just keep it to a small portion and then at least you get it in there, just less of it?

I count everything I eat, and my cals are usually between 1200-1600 depending on what I choose for the day. My carbs are around 200-250 and my fat G's are usually 30-ish.

You can do it, it's just some work to figure out what will work best for you. Hang in there okay, we're here for ya!

~ Angie
Abbeycat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Check out the South Beach Diet. It limits carbs somewhat but not as severely as the Atkins diet, and the emphasis in the South Beach diet is on choosing healthy carbs and healthy fats. I think that would be the best way for you to add some healthy carbs into your diet without having to change too radically from what you are used to.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote