Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-05-2006, 01:53 AM   #1  
Maybe it'll work this tim

S/C/G: 186/186/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Well, I need some support

Hey everyone. My name is Ashley. I've wanted to lose weight since the start of college. Im going into my Junior year and I just keep creeping up. I beleive when I started school i weighed 150. Now I am up to 186. I've gone to the gym and then fell off that habit. I've trying eating 2000 calories a day and keeping a strict fitday.com journal. I wanted to faint, i was shaky, ugh awful. Its so hard at college too because Im surrounded by unhealthy food. Salads suck sometimes and you usually hear they are bad for you anyway.

My clothes dont fit all that well and I want to dress my age. I feel like I dont deserve nice clothes or a nice hairstyle until I lose weight. My goal weight is 135. I feel as though that is ideal for my height.

I was thinking maybe if I had a buddy, we could talk ourselves into doing stuff. I have read up on a lot of fitness things. I know some things but obviously I dont do them. So, anyone out there?
AshleyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Salad,bad for you?
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/178/138

Height: 5'5"

A 2000 cal intake should not leave you shaky! This should be plenty and may even be too much to lose weight! If you were indeed eating 2000 cal daily and feeling shaky and starving look into getting a physical and having labs done to make sure there is nothing going on medically causing this and/or the wt gain.

Looks like we have about the same starting wt and have close to the same ideal. Do you live on or off campus? Do you cook for yourself? Are there structured/ scheduled classes at the gym like yoga or aerobics? This could help keep you in the habit.

Jess
squishy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:09 PM   #4  

You have to know what I mean by salads being bad for you. Like salad bars. By the time you add everything to it, it isnt good for you anymore.

I live on campus but I do not have access to a kitchen. I solely have a meal plan which offers me tons of bad food. I was thinking once I get back to school (im still home now) that I will email the schools nutritionist and ask her what she thinks are some good choices around the school. As for the gym, I have 3 on campus that I can go to. They are always packed, which makes me uncomfortable. I have 1 in my building which is never crowded ever, but all the equipment is broken. They do have some classes at school i think. I think they're like 25 bucks.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Welcome, Ashley!

I agree you probably should have a physical if 2000 calories per day is leaving you shaky and feeling awful. If the doctor says you are OK, then I would guess it is probably a result of the types of food you are eating (too many empty calories & not enough nutrition).

Your idea of asking the school nutritionist is a good one.

If you don't feel comfortable using the gyms on campus, would it possible for you to set up a walking program? Walking is good exercise and can help a lot with weight loss. Or maybe join a more "friendly" gym off-campus, if you can afford it.

Good luck and don't get discouraged!
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Are you eating often enough? If I don't eat at regular intervals (for me it is 3 meals plus 2-3 snacks), I feel shaky (possibly low blood sugar..who knows). My husband KNOWS when I haven't eaten because I get IRRITABLE fast! Those snacks have to be filling and not 1 string cheese or something. My calories for my weight is 1500cal. Even though I EAT enough, I have to eat regularly and the right kinds of foods.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:35 PM   #7  

This is copied and pasted from my fitday journal from March when I entered everything that I ate:

Coffee, latte 194
Topping, butterscotch or caramel 61
Special K Bar 90
Cantaloupe (muskmelon), raw 109
Tuna salad 148
Lettuce, cos or romaine, raw 2
Cheese, natural, Cheddar or American type 457
Roll, multigrain 113
Dannon Yogurt 150
WAWA orange juice 180
Roll, white, hard 147
Ham loaf, luncheon meat 351

ok so that was my day. To break it down it was a caramel latte and a special K bar for breakfast, Cantaloupe for a snack, tuna salad on top of some lettuce with cheese sprinkled on top for lunch, i think i ate a roll with that because I was starving, then i had the yogurt, and for dinner I had a ham sandwich.

I remember that day and I was hungry. i felt lightheaded and like I needed something.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 183/178/138

Height: 5'5"

I agree that talking to the nutritionist is a great idea! Maybe you can even plan weekly weigh ins with her/him to keep you feeling accountable and not so alone in your efforts.

I know what you mean about salad bars! The yummiest/ most caloric things call out to you as you go by! I've heard them!

Looking at your FitDay here it looks like lots of carbs which I go for too. But resticting them and eating loads of protein like some diets suggest makes me crazy. I dont like meat much. Try having SOMETHING protein with breakfast like a few nuts and this may help the hunger. Also, what are your portions on the ham and cheese? Looks like a lot of cals from these foods. Maybe cut back a bit on these portions and add some fruit, peanutbutter on celery sticks (just measure out PB and put jar away to avoid returning and overdoing it!)

I love the walking idea. Even adding more time to get to class and going the long way can make it not FEEL like exercise.
squishy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 332/302/125

Height: 5'6

I have to talk myself into exercising and eating right everyday. lol You can message me anytime. It's so much easier when you have friends to talk to.
angiepants78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:59 AM   #10  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

We are the same height, 2000 calories is too high!! To lose weight I've had to drop to 1000 to 1200 calories a day. I am alot older at almost 42 so that may explain why my calories have to be that low in order to lose weight. Maybe you just need to adjust your diet to eating more whole grains, fruits and veggies, and some protein.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote