Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Smile New Here & Looking for Buddies

Hi, I'm new here. I've been lurking for a while and have made a couple of posts, so I guess it's time I introduced myself...

I'm 44 years old, single (just broke up with my boyfriend of 5 years about a month ago), and have been varying degrees of fat my whole life. I really packed on the weight while I was with my boyfriend, because he is a big fan of junk & packaged foods and doesn't like doing any physical activity.

I can tell I've lost a good bit of weight since the breakup because I'm down from a tight size 24 to a loose 20. I haven't been trying particularly hard to lose, although I did join Curves and have gone back to eating the things that >I< like rather than what the two of us ate as a couple. I've decided that I would like to be a size 8.

After thinking about all the diets I have been on in my life and why they failed (I actually gained weight on most of them), I have decided that I'm not going to weigh myself this time. I tend to get obsessed with the numbers on the scale and it's counterproductive because it makes me think about food/dieting ALL THE TIME. For the same reason, I'm not counting calories.

I'm fortunate in that I actually prefer to eat things that are healthy, rather than the things like sweets, baked goods, and junk food that trip up a lot of dieters. My issue is portion size, so that's what I'm working on. I guess my approach to eating could best be described as sort of a whole foods and intuitive eating combined with volumetrics approach. I love to cook (I have more cookbooks than our public library does, LOL), especially ethnic cuisines. One of the things that I always feel like I'm missing on the diets I've been on are the ethnic and spicy foods--all the recipes seem so bland and boring. Besides, chile peppers are supposed to raise your metabolism--Why can't someone come up with a "Thai Food Diet," LOL?

The manager at Curves has been measuring and weighing me periodically, although I told her not to tell me what my weight is (Based on past experience I would guess it's around 260). Since I started there 5 weeks ago I have lost 2.5 inches off my hips, 1.5 inches off my waist, and 1.5 inches off each thigh. I figure I need to lose about 100-120 pounds to get to my goal of size 8.

I could really use some buddies to keep me motivated. The whole breakup thing has been pretty devastating, and since BF and I didn't really socialize with anyone while we were a couple, I don't have any friends around to provide support and motivation. It was great finding this website because you are all just so supportive of each other, and every time I feel like I will be unsuccessful at losing that much weight I just come here and it renews my faith.

Anyone want to be buddies?
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Hi Fiddler,

WELCOME to this amazing site. I'd love to be your buddy. Girlfriend, I am right with you about the scale. I am addicted to it and told myself that I would not weigh until after 3 months where I figure to lose a substantial amount. I am around the same weight as your heaviest weight.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:30 PM   #3  
SO Determined!

Height: 5'8"

We are all here for you, and this website is a godsend!! definately keep your chin up, there's a million shoulders here for you to lean on...hope to talk to you soon!
missyb4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:46 PM   #4  

It's really great to have so much positive support! It seems like there are a lot of really nice people here
Old 08-05-2006, 02:57 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hi Fiddler

I went from wearing a size 3X to currently wearing size 8/10. You CAN do it too!!!

I just turned 45 yesterday and I feel better at 45 than I did at 30!!

All the best to you!!!

Kim

[IMG][/IMG]

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:11 PM   #6  

Wow, Kim!

That is really great! How long did it take you to lose it?

I hope I can be as successful at it as you.