Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-19-2006, 02:03 AM   #1  

Default Looking for buddies trying to lose last 20 pounds

I don't have a lot of weight to lose -- just 15 pounds. But, it feels like I am so close to my goal and yet so far away. The last few pounds are a challenge to take off! If you can identify with what I'm saying and want to buddy up for encouragement and support, then I hope you'll respond. Looking forward to hearing from some of you

Lindsey
Southerner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:05 PM   #2  

Height: 5'3

Hi Lindsey. I'm hoping to lose 20 lbs too. Where are you from? I'm from Tennessee but I've lived in DC for the past several years. I already have several diet buddies but I seem to be much more motivated than all of them. I would love to have a buddy as serious about this as me. If you are, I'd love to hear from you. Shawna

Last edited by shawnamadonna1013; 02-20-2006 at 09:28 PM.
shawnamadonna1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 01/07/10~ 142/136/132

Hi Ladies! I too have only a few pounds left to go,but I have been experiencing the yoyo factor.One day I'm down 2 and the next I'm up 2! HELP!!!
W.
Wide in Winnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:23 AM   #4  

so what should we do? post here? email? I'm not really sure what a good diet buddy does.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:51 PM   #5  

Hi y'all! Thanks for responding!

Shawna, I'm in Tennessee. I live in Hendersonville, north of Nashville. Where did you used to live in Tennessee?

I'm brand new to this board, so I'm not sure what good diet buddy does either. I guess we could continue to post here or we could start a support group -- "20 Pounds or Less to Lose." What do you think?

My weight loss program officially starts again today. I weighed 134 lbs. this morning. My goal is 120 lbs. My highest weight was 150 lbs.

Winnipeg, I think the weight of water in the body could vary enough from day to day to account for the up 2, down 2 yoyoing. For example, I know that if I eat popcorn, the next morning the scale will say I've gained a couple of pounds when it's really just the salt from the popcorn causing me to retain water. I think that's why we so often hear that it's best to only weigh once a week so that we won't notice those water-based weight flucuations so much. Do you think this might explain it?

I'll post more at the end of the day about how my diet/exercise went. Looking forward to hearing more from the two of you!
Old 02-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #6  

Hi! I think we could just post here! That way if other people want to join in they will be able to get ahold of us!
Southerner1~ 15lbs to go! Good for you!
Shawnamadonna1013~How much left to lose?? By the way,I am going to Private Message you...

So tell me...What diet plans are you on?I just count cals. and exercise some.I have been on a plateau for the last month and it really sucks!I am involved in the Beat the Bulge game so I have some incentive to workout more!!seems to be working so far!
Wendy
Old 02-20-2006, 05:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/139/125

I have 15lbs to lose still Would love to buddy up I can be reached by PM.
Cherific24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:06 PM   #8  

Hi guy's what a perfect thread to start. It seems as though my weight is at a standstill. I felt so by myself with this issue. I have 15 lbs to go and I have no idea what to do. Anyone who wants to pm me is welcome to.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:41 PM   #9  

Hi everyone.

Lindsey, Im from Englewood, by Athens, which is right between Chattanooga and Knoxville.
Wendy, if you're plateauing, have you tried zig-zagging? I havent tried it yet, but I've been following the thread in the cal counters forum and I may try it if I get stuck.
I guess we'll just comment to each other here. there's kind of a lot of us to do email. but that's a good thing. we'll get more ideas and everyone's welcome.

today i was 135.4 w/ gym clothes and shoes and after dinner. i really want to weigh some morning before i start drinking the gallons of water i drink so i can get an idea of what i really weigh. i just cant get to the gym in the morning though. too tired. my goal will be somewhere around 115. i'm just guessing, but from looking at my hands and wrists, i have a small frame, so that should be fine at 5'3. i'm definitely a pear and i've always had a small waist. now my waist is getting even smaller and my hips and thighs are changing ever so slowly. so annoying.
i'm calorie counting. i'm trying to get 1400 a day and exercise at least 4 times a week but i've been going more. i do the elliptical for 30 min and then muscle tone for 30 min.
my goal is to lose 2 pounds this week but i'll be happy w/ 1. i'll be weighing in on mondays.
best of luck to everyone. let us know what your program is!
shawna
Old 02-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #10  

i forgot to add that i did atkins for the month of january. i went down 10lbs to 133 but i never lost any inches or found my clothes fitting looser. i got frustrated with that and decided to do calorie counting because i feel like it gives me more control. While calorie counting i've definitely seen a difference. but if you're doing atkins, good for you. it just wasnt for me.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:20 PM   #11  

Hello Ladies! How are you all today??? We are going for family pictures today so off for a nap to try and get rid of these bags under my eyes!! Catch ya later!
W.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:07 PM   #12  

Welcome Cherific24 and Focused!

My weight loss program is just counting calories with a goal of 1,400 calories a day or less. I also do aerobic exercise. I have a stationary bike and aerobic videotapes. And, I have a weight-lifting routine for my upper body and lower body.

For those of you at a plateau, the first idea that comes to my mind is adding a second form of aerobic exercise. Covert Bailey, who wrote "The Ultimate Fit or Fat" strongly recommends cross-training which is doing 2 different aerobic exercises each week. For example, walking twice a week and then pedaling a stationary bike twice a week. He says that when you do 2 different aerobic exercises the body is fooled into thinking the intensity of your workouts is greater than it really is because you're using different muscles. That added "intensity" sometimes jump starts weight loss.

I know I've read about other tips on breaking a plateau, but that is the only one I can think of at the moment.

Now, about my first day on my weight loss program -- any of you have any ideas about how to stay on a diet/exercise program when you're extremely stressed or get bad news?

I learned last night that my father has been diagnosed with significant kidney disease. His kidneys are functioning at about 60% of normal. He has zero symptoms. He just had a routine blood test during an annual physical and was given this diagnosis based on the results. I'm very close to my Dad and this is very upsetting news.

After learning about his test results last night, I went out and bought a lot left over Valentine's Day candy and stayed up all night researching kidney disease online while comforting myself with chocolate.

At some point, we all face moments like this when we have to deal with great stress and yet still work toward goals which are important to us. I do want to start a weight loss/diet program again. I'm going to have to somehow find the strength to do it in spite of this bad news.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #13  

Hi Southerner1, thanks for the tip in getting over my plateau. I'm so sorry about your Dad. I too have been in situations where I had to practice total self control with my diet due to emotional stress. Right now I have posted old pictures of myself in my place as a constant reminder of the person I once was. I never want to be that size again, just think about the end result and much healthier you will be. Right now your Dad needs you to be strong not just physicaly but mentaly also. Remember, loosing weight is a life style change and constantly binging will never get you to your goal. Rely on your inner strength. Hope that helps.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:52 PM   #14  

Hello Ladies,

Southerner~ Wish I could help,but I am also a binge eater when I am stressed Right now my ex-husband is causing a disturbance in my otherwise normal life and I am peeved! When I get mad,I get a rash that starts on my feet and slowly crawls upwards and right about now it is mid thigh!
Why can't he just move away and leave us alone??
Well off to get some exercise done!
Ciao
Old 02-23-2006, 12:46 PM   #15  

Lindsey, i'm sorry to hear about your dad. I'm in medical school but I dont really know much about that yet. I assume the prognosis isnt too bad since they caught it while he was still asymptomatic? I wish I could help you but I have problem w/ binging myself. I try to have low cal sweet stuff in the house for this and only binge on that.

I had a test today so the last 2 days have been crappy. I had 1600ish cals each day which still isnt bad but all i did was sit at a desk all day. I'm going to the gym today and then i have 3 hours of dance class tonight. I live for those classes.

best of luck w/ your diets and w/ your ex, wendy.

shawna