Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 03:01 AM   #1  

Smile I've been checking this site out for some time

but never joined or stayed for long. I was going to lose weight by just cleaning up my diet, eating greener, counting my calories on my own, etc., etc. Well, I gave up that farce and started the WW Flex Plan about 3 weeks ago and it's going great. It'd be better if I exercised but all things in time, right?

Anyway, I see a lot of support on these boards so I'm just going to wade on in and join the fun. See y'all around!
Old 08-21-2005, 05:06 PM   #2  
HeidiHo

Default I am new here too!

Hey. I am also new to this. So I don't know the ins and outs but I can tell you that I have been on ww also. I did very well with it, but the meetings did not coincide with my work schedule. So I am doing weight watchers on my own but not attending the meetings. I have joined a gym and I am trying to go 5 times a week. It is very hard to get motivated. I have tried curves and was not into that too much, and I have tried almost every diet there it. I think ww is the best one. It is all about portion control. Good luck on your weight loss!!
Old 08-21-2005, 07:41 PM   #3  

Default Thanks for the welcome

Hunterwells! I'm doing WW Online this go 'round and it's much better for me. Although many people consider them crucial to their weight loss I never got much out of the meetings anyway. I wasn't able to attend the same date and time every week and then my schedule prevented me from attending weekly. It became more stressful than helpful, especially since I was losing so very slowly anyway.

The gym is my problem too. I was getting up and going every morning whether I wanted to or not but you know how life is, one little change with one of the kids' schedules and I've been unable to get back to that. I went out yesterday and threw some money at the problem (because that's what I do ). I got a spanking new workout log and a beautiful pocket sized journal. You know what that means, don'tcha?? I am READY for Monday! Not only is Monday my weigh-in day but my workout log starts on a Monday. I call that prophetic, don't you?
Old 08-21-2005, 08:02 PM   #4  
HeidiHo

Red face You are another step closer!!!

Hey. You are another step closer...You are in the right frame of mind. I think that is what you really need. You have to actually be motivated to do something. I have a problem getting self motivated. I agree with you about the ww meetings. I didn't get too much out of them. I just went and got weighed and then listened to the same stuff. But I do believe that their program works. I get very discouraged if I don't see results fast, but I have come to the realization that it isn't going to happen overnite. Dinner is my big downfall. I get home from work late and my husband doesn't have a problem cooking, but it is usually fattening stuff, so I have to work on planning my menu. I hope you have a good monday. Good luck with your workout. I will be in touch. We can do this.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:43 PM   #5  

Thumbs up We can figure this out...

You betcha we can do this!

I am the exact opposite of motivated most of the time. I'm good at making plans but awful at executing them so hanging in long enough to see a difference is pretty far fetched...yet I'm actually completing my third week on the plan sooo maybe this is possible.

I don't like packaged foods but I did stock up on Amy's frozen health foods and Lean Cuisines because it was easier to get started that way - controlled portions, no thinking! Before I started the plan I loaded up on low-fat dairy and ice cream so the family was ready and the complaining was over with! Right now I'd have a hard time pigging out on the wrong thing in my kitchen. Oh, I could do it, but it'd mean a lot of oatmeal, Lean Cuisines and Pudgeless ice cream cones and that's not at all tempting.

I think its great your husband cooks, first of all. Having dinner ready when I get home is a totally foreign idea. (Gee, what's that like anyway??) But, if he cooks yummy fattening stuff...could you grab a Lean Cuisine and be happy with that? Or, you could eat really lean all day and enjoy his labors...? We've GOT to figure this out for you.

You have a great Monday as well!
Old 08-21-2005, 09:17 PM   #6  

I just joined 3fat chicks looking and I am looking forward to losing weight!
Old 08-21-2005, 09:29 PM   #7  

I am relatively new here too. I am trying to find my niche. I an just over half way to my goal. I have given myself until May to achieve it, then I will re-evaluate it and see if I need to lose more than that.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:51 PM   #8  

Smile Sveva and vitag,

I'm trying to find my place here too. I guess it's not cool to hang out right here forever. I'm guessing it's a sort of lounge or portal to the big Out There but I'm a little shy...

Sveva, what sort of plan are you following to have lost so much weight? Congratulations, you've done a fantastic job! I'm having a hard time imagining *5* whole pounds gone and you've lost way more than that already.

Vitag, have you decided how you're going about the weight loss journey?
Old 08-21-2005, 11:17 PM   #9  

Wink Outadaslump

Hi,
I am keeping my calorie intake between 1200-1500 cals per day, and have completely purged my life of junk food and fast food, and I am exercising an hour a day (usually swimming). I do have my treat of non-fat popcorn as a bed time snack, but no chips, no candy, no chocolate, no ice cream ( boo hoo), no fries, no burgers... That kind of thing. What is shocking to me is that amount of that stuff I must have been eating every week for my weight to drop so much in 2 months just by cutting out the crap! Also, I use www.fitday.com. It is a web site where you can keep track of your daily food intake and daily calorie output. I really like that it does all the math for you, and you can check different Reports. I highly recommend it. Thanks for posting to me, I kinda felt all alone out here...

Old 08-22-2005, 02:37 PM   #10  

Default Wow, Sveva

you lost all that in just 2 months?! Tell me, is it hard to not have chips and ice cream?

Believe it or not I'm not much of a snacker but I did look longingly at Baskin Robbins when I passed by so I broke down and bought some Edy's Slow Churn Low Fat Ice Cream. I don't want to get used to 'diet' foods though because they trick you into thinking you can still eat the same ol' thing with no ill effect. I'd rather eat regular food and learn portion control (along with SELF control!).

I'm going to look at Fitday as an option for when and if WW no longer suits me (or I hit a plateau!).

Cheers
Old 08-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #11  

Wink Outadaslump

Hi there...

I have found that it is not that hard if it not in my space. I do not miss it if it is not in the house. Now, I was feeling rather deprived one day and it was an emotional eater, so I bought all kinds of junk food. It is in my friend's cupboard. Just buying satisfied my urges. I did not even eat it. Actually her daughter called me last night to see if she could eat "my" jelly beans. lol

Portion control is what I like about Fitday, as when enter 1 cup of something before I eat and see how many calories, grams of fat, etc, I reduce it to 1/2 cup.

I have a friend who is doing WW and she is eating whatever she wants and subtracting it from her points. I think that that is dangerous as she is not re-training her body to enjoy and crave "good" foods.

I am reading Dr Phil's book and he talks about the "No Fail Environment", and "Retraining Your Thinking" about food and your "Toxic Relationship" with it. I am in this for the long haul. I want a complete lifestyle change and not just a "diet".

I would love to be able to help and encourage one another along this journey.

BTW, I lost another 2 pounds for a total of 70!
Old 08-22-2005, 04:23 PM   #12  

Smile Woo hoo!

Congrats on the 2 lbs, Sveva!

Y'know, I feel exactly the same way, that we have to learn how to eat well and in moderation for the long haul. My DD is doing WW with me and she's doing it entirely differently. She favors the WW muffins, cakes and candies and baked chips. Of course, being young, she's still losing but what about when she reaches her goal? Will she have really learned to forego the goodies except for occasional treats or will she be conditioned to think of them as part of a normal diet? And, what if the 'alternate' varieties are not available?

Okay, that's the ideal - to eat 'green, as I like to put it - but, in reality, some people will never, ever, EVER be able to give up their preferred snack routines and items. Mostly they can't do it because there's habit and emotion attached so they resist with all their might the very notion of, say, a bag of ff popcorn or a piece of fruit cut up in yogurt. My mom and husband, for instance, become hostile at the very idea that they have to 'give up' certain things. And, Sveva, I mean HOSTILE. Then they stop listening or trying altogether.

I've always leaned toward a vegetarian diet and I can't fry with a darn so it would seem to be easy for me but it isn't. I have to shop and cook for an entire family, including kids. I buy lots of organic fruit, greens and good stuff but they'll still ask if I have anything 'good' in the house to eat! I'm winning over the young'uns but my hubby now brings in the bad stuff (last night it was Mrs. Fields' cookies!!). He's rebelling like he's under attack and it's not like I ever fed him truly bad stuff to begin with. Our problem was portion control and mindless nibbling.

Since we are sympatico I'd also LOVE to encourage each other on this long, long journey. Should we do it here? I've only glanced at other sections of the forum!
Old 08-22-2005, 04:40 PM   #13  

Default I sent you a PM

Hi...
I sent you a Private Message. Check your inbox.

Closed Thread