Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 09:09 AM   #1  

Default Eating for Life buddy

anyone interested in doing this with a buddy? I am having trouble sticking with this on the weekends and would really like a buddy! ....I read the book and the Abs Power book I love the eating and do not mind the exercise ...just can not seem to stick with it for the weekends!
Old 08-03-2004, 02:46 PM   #2  

Hi Kidz. My boss loaned me Eating for Life last week and I spent a few evenings looking over it. While I am not interested in following any specific plan, I just wanted to comment that I thought his book seemed to make a good bit of sense. Those before & afters sure are impressive, but of course weight lifting has a LOT to do with those pix and not just weight loss.

Best of luck with it!
Old 08-06-2004, 10:25 PM   #3  

well to be honest there is no way I could ever really follow this to the letter but...I have started eating six times a day ...drinking water.....and set a goal to really push the weights instead of flirting with them...I feel fatigued so I am giving up my favorite ...coffee...we will see
Old 08-07-2004, 04:05 PM   #4  

Hi Kidz,

I have BFL and EFL and am incorporating more of it into my program. I've tried a couple of the recipes from EFL and they are really good! I know what you mean about following it on the weekends. Instead of 6 meals a day, I usually eke out 2 or 3. During the week I'm much more structured and usually do really well with the "frequent feedings". The hardest thing I've encountered so far is getting to the gym and exercising enough. I've lost 19 pounds in 6 weeks just with the eating and drinking more water alone, and have lost at least 4 inches overall, so I'm still doing well. I haven't read Abs Power. What's the concept of that one? Have you followed the weightlifting plan from BFL? I have done one lower body workout and one upper body. It definitely helps push you to the next level, for sure. I used to be really into weight lifting and running, so the hardest part for me has been (aside from actually getting to the gym) starting at lower weights and taking it easy on myself. How long have you been trying to follow the plan? What have your experiences been so far? Looking forward to chatting with you about this!
Old 08-07-2004, 09:44 PM   #5  

Default same problem!!

Hi,

I am having the same problem, I do well but I think having a buddy would help me get through the tough times and maybe makes things more challenging for me, email me if you're interested, [email protected]
Jewels
Old 08-07-2004, 11:07 PM   #6  

Hi would you believe I am from Providence!???..where are you from Jewels???? and How Ah ya?...I have debated buying the EFL book I need to see a copy ..are you guys getting use out of it?....I have way too many cook books to justify another!....lwork out motivation and weekend eating ..I find those my biggest struggles...lets see how we do this week with work outs..please share your road blocks...mine is weather and rain a biggy ...not great when you live in the Seattle area!!...it makes me a slug...eating more and working out less...then the weekend landslide is bad ...I am determined to wait until Sunday for the free day...so I can avoid the snowball .....
Old 08-08-2004, 10:36 AM   #7  

I have been doing a BFL challenge for 4weeks and its going well. I love it and I feel better than in a long time. I'm going to order that eating For Life today from Amazon. I'm in!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:34 AM   #8  

I need ideas for portable snacks, I love smothies but can not figure out how to keep them from turning to sludge by the time I get to them....this week I am pumped and need to start focusing on the exercise....What are your goals this week I am going to try three
1. save my free meal for Sunday!
2. walk 30 min a day and 15 min weights each group a day
3. drink 60-80oz water a day
Old 08-16-2004, 10:31 AM   #9  

Hi Kidz,

Just wanted to check in and see how your program is going. I wasn't around much last week due to stress and some physical problems (I ended up in the ER but am fine!) How is the exercise going?

As far as EFL, it is a big, expensive cookbook full of nice color pictures. I think it's about $35.00. The dinner recipes are really good, and if you like smoothies, there are a ton of ideas in there. I don't know if it's worth the big bucks, though, if you already have a good handle on what you should be eating. I have used it quite a bit, though, and this week have planned out my menu for the week and will include at least one recipe a day from the book.

What is your opinion of the "free day"? For the majority of my weightloss, I haven't done free days, was very strict with my diet. When I started designating Sunday as my free day, I noticed that my resolve to eat healthy was weaker the following week. I equate it to an alcoholic never being able to have another drink because it results in a relapse. Have any thoughts about that?

Hope you're doing well!
Old 08-17-2004, 09:28 AM   #10  

KIDZ - I am using the EFL and BFL books, and suggest you see if your library has copies to check out first. I love cookbooks so the EFL is great for me, pictures, portions and tips on what freezes well. BFL has similiar info as found on the website BodyForLife.com.

When are you working out? Is it a time you can consistently set aside for yourself? Me, I am up at 4:30, dressed and doing some housework for about 45 minutes, no vacuuming but the dishes, setting the table for breakfast, making lunches, then I head for the gym, 5 minutes away for an hour. This only works if you can function in the am. DH on the other hand works out after work, he is motivated to stop at the gym on the way home, it is more crowded but he can make it work.

Don't aim for perfection, do better than you did yesterday and last week, work on one habit at a time.

Weekend eating, not sure how to conquer this yet myself. I do better if I keep busy, so I schedule my projects, fun things I like to do, and steer clear of mindlessness caused by boredom.

Traveling with smoothies, not sure how that is going to work. I make protein drinks at the office with a Tupperware shaker and 1/2 cup container. I mix it at work and drink immediately, no fruit or such added. I save the more elegant smoothies for weekends, something to look forward to.

JESSICA - Way to go on the progress so far.

Liza
Old 08-17-2004, 01:05 PM   #11  

Wow, Liza, I am so impressed that you can get up at 4:30 in the morning! One day I was able to get up at 5 a.m. and hit the gym before work, but by 10:30 a.m. I felt ready for a nap! I agree it's all about finding a time in your schedule that you will actually stick with. I'm still struggling with this every week. I've lost the 20 lbs. in about 2 months, so I certainly have a handle on my eating (except last week, which was a disaster) and can only imagine how much more I'd progress if I stuck with the exercise. I think it IS overwhelming to change all areas of our life all at once, water, food, activity, self-esteem, etc. so I agree that focusing on one managable goal at a time is the way to go for most of us. I'm on vacation from work this week, and am trying to use my free time to focus on doing positive things for myself, number one being moving every day, in some way or another. I swam for about 10-15 minutes yesterday and today am setting aside time to go to the track and lift weights at the gym. Wish me luck.

How long have you been following the BFL program and have you had any success yet?

Thank you for the encouragement!
Closed Thread