Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 09:06 AM   #1  

Unhappy Hello! Anybody out there?????????

Hello! I could really use a buddy right now! Here is my story. I will try to make it as short as possible!
I have been as small as a size 8 (when I was in high school and went to Jenny Craig and felt like I was starving myself and was exercising a lot), and I am now a size 22/24 (been trying things like WW, do it myself sort of diet, walking, water aerobics). I am now 30 years old and oh so tired of being fat. I have no energy, feel sluggish, don't want to go in public, and am down right ashamed of myself. I have yet to figure out how to stay away from or eat sweets in moderation. I can down a pound of M&Ms in one sitting!!! What the heck is wrong with me? I know this is not good for my health or my self esteem (which I tend to be lacking), but I continue to make myself worse. To top things off, I have had bronchitis for about two weeks and can't seem to feel better, so, of course, I eat to feel better. I am an emotional eater. I eat when I'm bored. I ALWAYS want something sweet. It's not normal. I don't ever crave anything salty. I don't know what to do anymore. I don't want to give up on myself. I hope there is someone out there who cares! And then I have anxiety and depression issues for which I am on medication and have been for many years. I think this only adds to my eating issues.
Sorry if I have complained so much. My husband says I complain all of the time. Well, if I could ever feel good, maybe I wouldn't complain so much. When I met him, I was fairly thin. I was not eating fast food or drinking any pop. Then he wanted to take me out to fast food places all of the time and I got used to that and I started drinking pop again! OH, I'm babbling, sorry, I tend to do that!!!
I will end this, it is long enough already!

Thank you kindly for caring enough to read this!!! I hope there is someone out there who can relate or has some motivational thoughts!

Have an Awesome day,
Cheryl
Old 06-20-2004, 09:32 AM   #2  
honourary nutcase

S/C/G: 238/234/196

Height: 5'10"

Hey there cheryl. Im lauren I'm 19 and had problems trying to lose weight too. I've decided to try and do something about it now since I am still at quite a young age but I can sympathise. When I'm bored or run down I nibble too. Only thing I've been able to do is cut out eating leftovers by pouring washing up liquid over them! The reason we crave sweet things is that it sets off happy feeling in you and gives you a quick high that doesn't last long so you have more. I've gone from craving this to now, surprisingly, tomatoes and ryvita breads because of the texture of them. Try and find a non sweet food that you like the texture of. It gives me the same feel good feeling without piling on as much weight.

Lauren
Old 06-20-2004, 11:04 AM   #3  

Hello Cheryl. Welcome and yes we all care very much about you! When you get the urge for something sweet buy yourself a journal and journal your feelings, anger, hurt instead of eating you may be surprised at what you learn about yourself, also remove yourself from the area of temptation. Another think is take a few M&Ms and eat them SLOWLY let them melt and enjoy the taste and you may be surpriesed how few it takes to satisfy that craving. Also read the books entitled THe Thin Books, it is two books in one, part one deals with emotional and compulsive overeating and the second part is a daily positive meditation with an action that goes with it, I loved it so much that I gave one to my husband for Father's Day. Good Luck visit us often and God Bless You.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:20 PM   #4  

Dear Cheryl,
I, too, have extreme difficulty enjoying sweets in moderation. It helped me up to over 209 lbs on a 5'3" frame. The only way I can manage it is to not do it in even moderation. I am back on an eating plan. I am strict with myself through the week, and plan to allow myself to enjoy my special treats on Sunday with my dh. I find I don't get too out of hand in front of others, so I need to concentrate on what I eat when I am alone and my evening snacking. Not to be cliche, but I do find that drinking all 64 oz of water a day helps me.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 266/225/130

Height: 5'1"

Smile here to help

Cheryl,

I, too, wear a 22 right now and I also once wore an 8 in high school. I am also an emotional eater, but fighting through it. Also, I have problems with anxiety for about 2 years and I was taking Paxil for a while, but I stopped taking them about 4-6 months ago because they contribute to weight gain. So far, I haven't had a panic attack so I hope it is a thing of the past.

I am going on 29 (Sept. 10), married, mother to a 2 1/2 year old boy, and I am an English teacher.

I have been reading Dr. Phil's Ultimate Weight Loss Solution and he addresses emotional eating and many other things as well. It has really helped and so far I am sticking to about 1200-1400 calories per day and tracking my calories and activity on fitday.com.

It you want someone to talk to about all this, let me know.

Melody
Old 06-28-2004, 01:52 AM   #6  

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattycheryl
Hello! I could really use a buddy right now! Here is my story. I will try to make it as short as possible!
I have been as small as a size 8 (when I was in high school and went to Jenny Craig and felt like I was starving myself and was exercising a lot), and I am now a size 22/24 (been trying things like WW, do it myself sort of diet, walking, water aerobics). I am now 30 years old and oh so tired of being fat. I have no energy, feel sluggish, don't want to go in public, and am down right ashamed of myself. I have yet to figure out how to stay away from or eat sweets in moderation. I can down a pound of M&Ms in one sitting!!! What the heck is wrong with me? I know this is not good for my health or my self esteem (which I tend to be lacking), but I continue to make myself worse. To top things off, I have had bronchitis for about two weeks and can't seem to feel better, so, of course, I eat to feel better. I am an emotional eater. I eat when I'm bored. I ALWAYS want something sweet. It's not normal. I don't ever crave anything salty. I don't know what to do anymore. I don't want to give up on myself. I hope there is someone out there who cares! And then I have anxiety and depression issues for which I am on medication and have been for many years. I think this only adds to my eating issues.
Sorry if I have complained so much. My husband says I complain all of the time. Well, if I could ever feel good, maybe I wouldn't complain so much. When I met him, I was fairly thin. I was not eating fast food or drinking any pop. Then he wanted to take me out to fast food places all of the time and I got used to that and I started drinking pop again! OH, I'm babbling, sorry, I tend to do that!!!
I will end this, it is long enough already!

Thank you kindly for caring enough to read this!!! I hope there is someone out there who can relate or has some motivational thoughts!

Have an Awesome day,
Cheryl
Hi Cheryl....I can sympathise because I am pretty much in the same boat as you....so whether we can help each other, or just drag each other further down, I don't know. Anyway I can certainly reach out and give you a (hug..)
This is my first post so I guess I will share with you....I have always been fairly big. Never a feather weight....but always fairly active. Ten years ago I developed lymphoedema in my legs, which helped cut down on my activity a lot....not much fun trying to exercise in compression hose... Then six years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer and would you believe it....I developed lymphoedema in my right arm..... Add to that a fair sprinkling of arthritic joints and you can see that I am a prime candidate for depression...
That's right! I am being treated for that with medication and counselling....
My husband is my carer....and because I can no longer cook I am dependant upon him for my meals....he does his best but we are now in our 70s so I can't expect him to become a cordon blue chef at his age....
I guess we have both dug a pretty deep hole for ourselves....so perhaps it is time to start climbing up the walls again...

Take care and good luck...
Old 06-30-2004, 08:25 PM   #7  

Thumbs up

Hello again Cheryl,
I just checked the messages and I am happy to see you have received the support you were looking for....Good Luck and remember a journey begins with the first step - and you have made that first step, by posting here.
beatrix
Closed Thread