Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 11:58 PM   #1  

Default Gave Up The Cigs But Cant Give Up The Food...why?

Hi there everyone, have just joined and feeling like most of you in that I am looking for help and support. I am truly ashamed of myself right now, I have smoked cigs for more years than I care to think about, and gave them up without any help on the 4th July 03, havent touched a cig since even though the cravings are soooo bad. Yet I cant seem to shut my mouth long enough to lose weight....I dont think any of us need to diet, I think it is best to eat the foods we like, but in moderation. I have a friend that was so overweight that continued to eat the foods she liked in moderation, along with a 30 min walk morning and evening, and if she couldnt walk outside for some reason she would do it in her back garden or wherever as long as she kept the movement up for 30 mins, she would even march on the spot rather than not do it. She looks fantastic now, and people now ask her what does she do to look so fit and healthy.. honestly that is all she has done. I wish I could do the same, but find when I go to the supermarket I buy more rubbish than I should. Does anyone ever go into the chat room? I think that would be a great idea to meet in there and all of us can thrash it out in there and talk realtime to each other, maybe have our own little meeting club where we could keep tabs on each others weight, I am sure this would help us all.
cheers to us all and heres hoping we can do this for ourselves and also eachother.
Bright smiles ~Kalgoorlie Gold~
Old 03-18-2004, 05:18 PM   #2  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

Hello and welcome kalgoorlie I have the exact opposite problem. am handling the "diet" but can't kick the cigs..
Old 03-18-2004, 08:00 PM   #3  

Hi kalgoorlie, I too quit smoking over a yr ago, with no help, and it's still tough sometimes. About 10 yrs ago I quit for 7 yrs. gained weight and started smoking again;and of course the weight still didn't come off. The only way to quit smoking was to stop putting the cigarette to my mouth and the only way to lose weight is to stop putting the food to my mouth. But the difference is we need food to live. Obviously not as much as we are taking in, but we do need it to live. If I don't make the right choices when I eat I just seem to keep going. With the if you have one once in a while it too will lead to overuse and you'll be right back. I speak from experience. When I started back up I only smoke on the weekends, and that lasted for about a yr, then I was right back to a pack a day. So many of my friends who smoke (and don't have weight issues) say giving up the food would be easier. (did I say they were my friends ) Anyway, your not alone. Hopefully we will figure out this challenge. Obviously we have the willpower in us, we just have to bring it out when we need to and if we want to. They say you have to want to quit in order for it to work when you quit smoking. Well, I don't want to give up junk. I have to. And that is my mental issue with the whole thing. Anyway, maybe we can chat sometime. Sorry I went on for so long.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:41 PM   #4  

Default Hi Blugirrl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugirrl1
Hello and welcome kalgoorlie I have the exact opposite problem. am handling the "diet" but can't kick the cigs..
Blugirrl1 thanks for your response, wish I had your willpower, Iam thinking of going to have my jaws wired together lol. How did you manage to lose so much weight ? you have done wonderfully well. Hope I have replied in the right way here as this is my first attempt with the message board responses.
~Kalgoorlie Gold~
Old 03-19-2004, 11:47 PM   #5  

Default Hi Donna,

Hi Donna, thanks for your input, I will try to motivate myself alot better than I have, and keep out of every isle in the supermarket apart from the vegetables and fruit. Smiles Kalgoorlie Gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaD
Hi kalgoorlie, I too quit smoking over a yr ago, with no help, and it's still tough sometimes. About 10 yrs ago I quit for 7 yrs. gained weight and started smoking again;and of course the weight still didn't come off. The only way to quit smoking was to stop putting the cigarette to my mouth and the only way to lose weight is to stop putting the food to my mouth. But the difference is we need food to live. Obviously not as much as we are taking in, but we do need it to live. If I don't make the right choices when I eat I just seem to keep going. With the if you have one once in a while it too will lead to overuse and you'll be right back. I speak from experience. When I started back up I only smoke on the weekends, and that lasted for about a yr, then I was right back to a pack a day. So many of my friends who smoke (and don't have weight issues) say giving up the food would be easier. (did I say they were my friends ) Anyway, your not alone. Hopefully we will figure out this challenge. Obviously we have the willpower in us, we just have to bring it out when we need to and if we want to. They say you have to want to quit in order for it to work when you quit smoking. Well, I don't want to give up junk. I have to. And that is my mental issue with the whole thing. Anyway, maybe we can chat sometime. Sorry I went on for so long.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:27 PM   #6  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~KALGOORLIE GOLD~
Blugirrl1 thanks for your response, wish I had your willpower, Iam thinking of going to have my jaws wired together lol. How did you manage to lose so much weight ? you have done wonderfully well. Hope I have replied in the right way here as this is my first attempt with the message board responses.
~Kalgoorlie Gold~
Thank You. It has been a long hard battle. up down for so long. last year i decided maybe instead of dieting i should change my lifestyle. seems to be working. good luck with your challenges. and i am around if you ever need to chat.
Closed Thread