Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 10:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/240/164

Height: 5'9"

Default Buddy for Dr.Phil's Rapid start Plan

Hi,
I am trying something new. I'd love a Buddy. I have just purchased Dr.Phil's two books and I am giving his 2 week carb controlled Rapid start plan a try.

It appealed to me right away, large portions, fruit, high fiber cereals, nutritionally inteligent commentary. I am not a big Dr.Phil fan, his show really annoys me, truth be told. But these books seem to make a lot of sense. I will also be trying to get WATP done every day during the 2 weeks, even if its just the one mile.

Would anyone like to join me. I started today but would be happy to chat with anyone following it or thinking about it.

Thanks,
TP
Old 01-30-2004, 07:25 PM   #2  

Hi, I am also going to try Dr. Phils weight loss plan. I used to post regularly on this site and was on weight watchers, and I was losing weight and then it all fell apart. I went from 230 down to 188 and now I am currently 198. I want to get this thing right once and for all and lose that last 40 - 50 pounds. I am 5'9" and would be happy to reach 160. I have already read Dr. Phils book and it makes a lot of sense to me. I also have the food guide and I'm going to follow the menus in the book. It would be great to have a buddy to do this with. I found the last time when I was losing that it was easier to get on this site and talk with other people that was going thru the same thing. I also seem to hold myself accoutable for my action more. I guess because I don't want other people to see me as a failure. I hope to hear from you soon.
Jersey girl 311
Old 01-30-2004, 07:48 PM   #3  

Hi Jersey Girl,

I'm really impressed with what you have lost so far. I was at a high of 274 when I gave birth to my son, I lost down to 185 at one point last year and am now 225 or so. I am 5'8" tall. I weighed between 140 and 150 all my pre-babies life and was quite happy with it. My "get real" goal is 160, my fantasy is 140.

I have been yo-yoing around with various low carb programs this last year and finding myself a few pounds heavier after each go around. Dr. Phils plan is appealing because I get fruit and carby breakfasts.

I found myself really stuffed today and I was not tempted to eat off plan. I also tried a Dr.Phil shake after checking the label, it is sucralose sweetened and high in fiber and protein also 70% of DRA of calcium in each can. The taste is way better than slimfast, reminiscent of Atkins but less gooey, nice over ice. I will steer clear of the bars, because I have been known to have a bar problem, but the shake was a good lunch at the mall with a small side salad and some water.

No exercise today, but the day is not quite over, I may still manage a few minutes with the weight bench before bed. I think that cardio is a distant possibility today, I'll be better with my time tomorrow. I have an outback steak house dinner date tomorrow. My husband is very supportive but will probably encourage me to "live a little". I actually checked the website and have already decided what I will order. Setting myself up for success!

I guess we can check in with eachother each day here. I forgot to weigh and measure this morning, but I will do it tomorrow and trust I have made no great loss today.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:02 PM   #4  

Hi Two Pillows,

Like you I weighed 140-150 before babies. I have two kids and gained all of weight in between the two. Getting back to 140 is a fantasy I'll always have, but 160 sure would be nice.

I have only been really dieting for a year and a half. I started all this because my fiance said he would take me to the bahamas if I lost 40 pounds in a year. I was doing great. I lost 20 pounds, was half way to the bahamas when I had a miscarriage. That was a year ago and I just didn't care as much about losing the weight until now.

I do go to Curves 3 times a week and I love it. I need to work more on doing something aerobic like walking but it is way to cold outside for me.

Enjoy the outback that is one of my favorite places. Talk with again tomorrow. Feel free to email me whenever you want to talk.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:44 AM   #5  

Hi, the last 2 days have gone smoothly. I have a mantra, less that 1400 high quality calories a day, 1 hour of exercise 5 days a week and something has got to give. I keep imagining myself, saying, "I have been eating this way for 12 weeks and I've lost so much weight."

Last night, the wait at Outback was 1.5 hours so we went to a local Middle eastern restaraunt with live bellydancing. I had salmon with vegetables in a coconut sauce and a greek salad. I had a half a pita as well. I skipped the rice and dessert and wine, and left food on every plate. So, though I know it was not a meal on program, I still feel victorious. we only go out perhaps once a month, so I made a decision to not gorge myself, but still eat like a normal person. The belly dancer's muscular tummy gyrating nearby helped.

3 mile WATP yesterday- today will be weights and exercise ball fun, and laundry, can't forget the laundry!

We have a beach vacation (our first ever!) coming up in late April. I don't want to make any predictions, but I did stop myself from buying a Land's End suit on sale because I really don't want to be stuck with a too big suit. That is about as optimistic as I will get about it.

Hope you have a great day!
Old 02-01-2004, 03:13 PM   #6  

My weekend has gone pretty well. Like you I didn't stick 100% to the diet but I didn't go overboard either. My fiance and I ended taking the kids to the mall so the could finish spending their Christmas money, and then we took them out to eat a diner we all liked. None of us cleaned our plates. We all brought home leftovers. Today I'm planning on sticking to the plan either so instead I am counting points today. I desprately need to buy some food. I hate going to the food store on the weekends let alone superbowl weekend. I think I will do the tomorrow while my fiance is sleeping and I have one kid in school. I go to the beach every June. Just the Jersey shore. Definetly not the bahamas where I want to be, but we still have a load of fun. I would love to be taking a smaller suit with me this year. I'm not going to get my hopes up though. Right now I will just worry about getting rid of the 10 pounds I gained back.
Have a good day.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:30 PM   #7  

Hi Ladies! Feel free to join us at the Book Club where we are doing Dr. Phil's Ultimate Weight Loss Solution - again. Unfortunately, due to the server crash, many great posts from the first and second round of discussions were lost.

We're going chapter to chapter, and started Chapter 4 - Key 1 today. Each thread stays open for a week or longer if it's a heavy duty chapter like this one.

dip
Old 02-02-2004, 09:33 AM   #8  

dipthong,
Thankyou! I just had a great hour reading through all the threads. I read through Chapter 3 just last night and dreamed about it. Coming in this morning and getting to read a bunch of smart ladies give their reactions is a real blessing. I may dip a toe in the water once I catch up, reading-wise.

jersey girl,
How are you doing today? I just had really excelent breakfast. i bought a new ceral called Opti-slim, by nature's Path, it was right in my local grocery store with the healthfoods. Its organic and has 11 grams of fiber per bowl plus soy protein, calcium etc. And it is so delicious. I put a half cup of berries on top and 1/2 cup of carbcount down skim milk, a packet of Splenda. Oh my. I have been in this low carb funk for so long where I avoid all bread and cereal and dairy and then eat cake. It makes no sense I know. So eating a big bowl of cereral and fruit and milk like stuff is so satisfying.

I am feeling really good. I wonder how much of it is the diet and how much is new birth control though. I was put n the nuva ring 8 weeks ago. I am on it continuously so i don't bleed or experience hormone fluctuations. Not having PMS is such a boon for me. I am not craving sweets at all, and I think much of it must have been hormone related. I used to feel good and think, 12 more days and i will be in my dark place for a week, ravenous, angry etc. But now I just see more good days.

TP
Old 02-03-2004, 07:33 PM   #9  

Thanks for letting us know about the book club post. I'm going to check that out tonight.

TwoPillows,
I hear what your saying about the low carb thing... I tried and never could go 2 days without cookies! Eating has gone well for me. I am really liking this meal plan. This morning I had 1/2C of fiber one with 1 C of skim milk, 1/2C cottage cheese and shared a banana with my son. I don't know if I got enough of it for it to count towards anything. When I went food shopping I found these new frozen dinners called Life Choice and they have 15g of carbs or less. I had one for lunch today and it was really good. I think I will pick up some more. I am learning how to shop and cook better with this plan. Something I really needed. With WW I could eat anything as long as I counted the points so I never put much thought into nutrition.

I know what you mean about the hormones. I was recently diagnosed with pmdd. Basically I get neurotic about 2 weeks before my TOM and stay that way until it starts. My Doc switched my birth control to Yasmin. He seems to think it will help with my weight also. I anxious to see if I start to feel better with it. Speaking of TOM it starting to set in...I could really use some chocolate...I will try to fight that craving but make no promises. I'm glad your feeling good. I hope things continue to go well for you. Talk to you tomorrow.
Jersey girl
Old 02-04-2004, 04:56 PM   #10  

Hey!
As far as low carb went, I could go for months, and while I was in the groove, I felt great. But, (there is always a but isn't there?) I wasn't losing much, so I had to start tracking calories too and on top of living and dying by the carb gram, all the counting was making me feel obsessive and out of control. Also I'm a vegetarian at heart (I do eat eggs, fish and a little chicken sometimes) and its hard for me to eat a lot of animal flesh, or cheese. So I was either not feeling good ethically or really hungry. Also, I never solved the ahem regularity issues. But the good things that came of it were a real understanding of body processes and I now know that I do not need bread to live. I learned new cooking methods and new recipes. I ate tons of salads and now its a good habit. I eat bread maybe twice a week, whole grain pita usually, and I eat pasta and potatoes so rarely now, all my grains are now in their most "whole" form. I use Splenda and we have had the same sugar bowl for months and it has not been touched. All good stuff.

So yesterday, I learned that I need to eat between noon and 6 or I get really cranky and eat off plan. Its a good lesson. Still not a bad day all around, I got a great workout in. And now I have yogurts and veggies prepped for emergencies.

Today, I had 2 Kashi go lean waffles with 3/4 cup of warm berries with splenda poured over them and a dollop of SF/FF cool whip on top, oh and 2 vegetarian sausage patties. it was heavenly. My DH actually said, off your diet I see...
hah, no I wasn't.

lunch was tuna and big salad, snacks were light and fit yogurt and celery with a little cottage cheese.

I lifted weights for 30 minutes and did the 2 mile WATP video.

Dinner is a Swann's skillet supper, it has 300 calories in it per cup so I am halving it and having a salad too. That is my new no fuss way to eat with the family. Eat half fill up on water and salad.

Feeling pretty good.
Vacation is exactly 10 weeks away. I wonder what I'll be weighing.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:53 PM   #11  

Hi,
Sorry I haven't been around for a few days. I took my daughter camping with girl scouts. I was the lucky chosen to be her troop leader. All in all it's fun. Everyone was wondering what we were doing camping in february, but it was cabin camping. All the girls had fun and that's what counts. We won't even go into the diet since the girls planned the menu and helped cook. Can't bring myself to let down a 7 yr old and eat a salad instead of mac and cheese and s'mores!! I did practice self control and didn't go overboard.
I see what you meant about the whole low carb thing with feeling obsessive and out of control. I have felt that way too. Still do sometimes. I think that is part of why I am having trouble losing, because before all I thought about was what I was going to eat and how much. I was also thinking about everything I couldn't eat. I never last long on a diet with all that going on in my head. Meat didn't use to be a problem for me. My laughs and calls me a carnivore, but then last spring my doc said I had IBS. He said it has a lot to do with diet and stress. He also said to experiment with my diet and see if certain foods gave me trouble. Turns out I have trouble eating red meat. Now I eat mostly chicken, turkey, and tuna. Cutting down on pasta was trouble for me. I love pasta. But bread was never a big deal. I could live without it. I take special care to get my 30g of dietary fiber everyday. Sometimes I think it would be easier to just eat tree bark!
Well tomorrow I start back on my fight towards a healthy weight. I wonder what the scale will say after the weekend I just had. Talk soon.
Jersey Girl
Old 02-10-2004, 08:25 AM   #12  

Hi,
I am sorry its been a few days, my little cold blossomed into asthmatic bronchitis on Sunday. I'm on a 10 day course of prednisone. I feel yucky, but I'm breathing well and hopefully will not need my inhaler today. So the diet. I lost 6 pounds in the first 10 days. I think I have probably lost more since the inhaled medicine kills my appetite and makes me really speedy but I won't weigh in till Friday, as the prednisone makes me retain fluid like a third trimester mama.

most disappointing is that after dealing with all the sore muscles of starting an exercise program again, I had to quit for a week and now I'll have to go through the pain again.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:38 PM   #13  
Soon 2 B HOT & healthy

I think it was meant to be that I find y'all just starting to follow the "Dr. Phil rapid start plan" I'm ready to start and REALLY REALLY need someone to do it with . I'm ready, I'm willing, I'm capable. I really WANT this. I've tried so many things in the past to dump this weight like last weeks trash, but its still here...still hanging around....EVERYWHERE. I can honestly, without exageration say that I've lost 300 pounds in my lifetime......20 off, 25 on, 15 off, 20 on......I can go on and on. I'm always sooooo successful in losing weight on every single plan I follow.......in the beginning. Six weeks is about my average when it comes to following anything.....beyond that its all downhill.....chips, cookies, chocolate. They all spell out one thing for me.....failure.Once the first piece hits my lips I'm a gonner. I'm not going to set myself up for that this time. I ALWAYS buy different food for myself than I buy for hubby and kids and every single time I fall, its right into a big pile of "the kids" snacks. I'm not going to say that there won't be a whole lot of whining when they look in the cupboards tonight, BUT....I AM going to say that my cupboards and fridge are set up to be a no fail environment!!! Finally, I've done it. I got out the garbage bags and completely cleaned out every single morsel of food that will tempt me. As I look back 1 hour in time I honestly can't believe I did it...but its done...and I'm happy and feel confident. I just now returned home from the grocery store, where I purchased enough food to restock the empty shelves in my cupboards for a week. I planned my menus for a week (plain and simple) , I made a list, hit the grocery store, and bought only those thing that were actually on the list. I can see the treadmill sitting in the corner piled high with winter coats as I sit here. Within the hour the coats will all have found new homes, hung in the closet where they belong and that treadmill will make its debut out in the open.I'm working on planning out my intentional exercise appointments with myself and the treadmill is soon to be one of my best friends. I really needed to just take a break and talk(type) about it all....I'm glad y'all are here. When I look around I don't see a circle of support. I keep pretty much to myself most of the time, so.....y'all are going to be it. How bout it? I'm a great supporter. You can be accountable to me. Can you do the same for me? I'm ready to get real, and I'm getting started right now.

Looking forward to getting to know you.

250/230/150
Old 02-10-2004, 04:35 PM   #14  

You are most most welcome.

I am also a bit of a loner, my friends are far-flung. My job keeps me in the realm of e-mail and Instant messaging. My husband is a great supporter but struggles to keep his weight "UP", So he doesn't get it emotionally.

I lost 30 pounds 2 years ago with an online buddy I met through a huge alternative parenting board. She is one of my dearest friends now. We talk every day.

I am still getting past the bronchitis, but should be ready to dive in with both feet by Thursday or Friday (I hope). Tonight I am making gardenburger riblets for me and the hubby is having a real rack to share with the kids, I also baked some potatos and made healthy cole slaw. strawberries are in from Florida, so I have an angel food cake and splenda sweetened berries dessert planned. I ate breakfast but forgot lunch again. The albuterol is like super ephedra I think. I've never been so disinterested in food. I just want to knit and sleep.

Thanks for the message by the way!
Old 02-16-2004, 08:12 AM   #15  

Hi girls,

Sorry it's been awhile. We were soo busy with Valentines Day. I can't say that last week was a success as far as the diet went. I ate a lot of bad stuff. I did manage to lose 2 pounds in the process. I have a hard time sticking with any diet when the floral business picks up. When it gets that busy my fiance and I just eat whatever whenever we have the time. I'm jumping back in today.

twopillows, how is the bronchitis? I know what you mean about the inhaler. My house get super clean when I have to use that or the allergies stuff cause I can't sit still. I hope you feel better soon.
Gotta Go,
Jersey Girl
Closed Thread