Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 286/270/135

Height: 5 ft 3 in

Default New and nervous

Hi everyone! I'm finally fed up with feeling like a stranger in my own skin, so I joined here.

I'm 5ft 3in and am currently weighing in at 270.6 lbs. My highest was 287. I've been dieting for 111 days and tracking my weight and food diary on myfitnesspal. I think I'm finally ready to start exercising, but I don't know where to begin.

I had a lateral meniscis repair on my left knee two years ago which resulted in arthritis, and need one done on my right knee. I'm scared to exercise and make it worse, but something has to change.

My weight ballooned after I started taking antidepressants and anxiety medication.

Sorry for that huge dump of information, I know it's a lot. I'm excited to make new friends who understand what I'm going through.
alh1303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/130/130

Height: 5'3"

Hi alh1303! Does your doctor have any advice on what exercise might be safe for you? That might be the place to start...either your regular practitioner or perhaps, if you have insurance, a doctor that might specialize in rehab and recovery or sports medicine?
Old Biddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Hi alh,

It sounds like you may be a candidate for physical therapy which starts you out with appropriate gentle exercises. You need a doctor's Rx, but I'm guessing that shouldn't be a problem.

There are so many exercises you can do for the upper body that maybe you could start there? Or seated exercises? There are a lot of them on the internet. See your doctor about the physical therapy, I bet they can direct you.

Last edited by CJZee; 07-07-2019 at 07:28 AM.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:12 PM   #4  

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I've spoken to my doctor at length about getting help with my right knee, and for managing my weight. My doctor is the type of person to seem sympathetic while you're talking to him, but offer no real advice or action.

I've been through physical therapy after my knee surgery, so I've been doing those exercises with my right. It has helped some, but not nearly enough.

I'm in the UK (Scotland, specifically), so insurance is not necessary, thankfully. On the other hand, the NHS is vastly underfunded, and unless there's an urgent emergency they're not likely to give referrals for anything, including to a dietician. I'm basically on my own.

I used to do Tae Bo (lost 50 lbs at that point) and thoroughly enjoyed the pace of it. Would pilates (mostly on the floor) be a good substitute?
Old 07-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Just a quick Google found these. They may both be beneficial to you. I'd start off gently.

https://www.google.com/search?client...&q=sitandbefit

https://www.google.com/search?client...knee+exercisis

Exercise is important, but 80% of weight loss is DIET.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #6  

Great!!
booo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #7  

Thanks for the links wannabehealthy.