Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #1  

Default New to the Forum, not New to trying to lose weight

So, as an introduction:

My name is Nicole, 23, female, currently living and working in South Korea. Since obviously this site is dedicated to losing weight, I guess this can be one of the very very few places I should post my truthful weight of... 210 lbs. At least, that's how much I weighed before coming out to Korea in June 2014. I still fit in my clothes, so I guess I weigh pretty much the same.

It should come to the surprise of no one that, as an overweight person, I can sometimes be antisocial. On the outside, I push myself to be more expressive and outgoing, and it works most of the time. But when it comes to big crowds or meeting new people, anything other than me plastering myself to a wall is complete bravado unless I'm drunk. It's very awkward meeting new people mostly because I feel like they are judging me for my weight... which sometimes is not too far off the mark, but experience has also taught me this is not always the case. It's one of many self-improvements I am trying to make. I often say I am a work-in-progress.

Living in Korea has possibly made me more aware of my weight than ever. Koreans (and Asian countries in general) put so much import on appearances that I should safely say only possibly 10% or less of Koreans are overweight, and among those %10, I'd say only 3-4% are overweight women. When you are surrounded by beautiful, slim women every day, it kinda makes you feel like an elephant.

However, as a person, while I have some low esteem in this area, in others I have very high esteem, such as with things I enjoy like academics, painting, and generally being a nice and understanding person. I have a great supporting family and friends and feel lucky to have them, but I also have zero motivation or lose motivation quickly. I over-think things and usually give up before I even start. And being alone without that supporting family and friends there whenever you want to see them makes that even harder.

So, I guess I'm looking to fill in the support role here. I would really like to have lost some weight before I go back to the States, and I guess that's my overall goal for now. I'm hoping to share this journey with some of you who are going through the same thing.
silverkyuubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:20 PM   #2  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

You can do it!!! This place is great for support with so many knowledgeable people . You just got to find what works for you.

I'm a loose calorie counter, doesn't mean its what you'll do, but it works for me. I definitely count eveything, but I say loose because I try and stick to a range 1400-1600 for my body and height. And I look at the week. Over ate on a holiday or party? That's okay, just means a couple of really good days where I stay at the lower end... 1200-1400. I find it less punishing that way.

Start with small goals and small changes first! Like your first goal could be to go for a long walk three times this week, or too come up with an eating plan.

You'll do great and I hope you find lots of supporting friends to help you out. You also have similar stats to me, I'm 23 and was pushing two hundred pounds. I'd venture to guess you're taller than me though, I'm on the short side. I only started at the end of November last year, but have managed about fifteen pounds lost so far!!! Don't get discouraged in the beginning just because it rakes time to see results. I still feel like I haven't actually lost any weight even though I have. I swear that scale is lying to me but its true even if I don't see it.

Last edited by SenseAndSensibility; 01-24-2015 at 03:25 PM.
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:34 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkyuubi View Post
So, as an introduction:

My name is Nicole, 23, female, currently living and working in South Korea. Since obviously this site is dedicated to losing weight, I guess this can be one of the very very few places I should post my truthful weight of... 210 lbs. At least, that's how much I weighed before coming out to Korea in June 2014. I still fit in my clothes, so I guess I weigh pretty much the same.

It should come to the surprise of no one that, as an overweight person, I can sometimes be antisocial. On the outside, I push myself to be more expressive and outgoing, and it works most of the time. But when it comes to big crowds or meeting new people, anything other than me plastering myself to a wall is complete bravado unless I'm drunk. It's very awkward meeting new people mostly because I feel like they are judging me for my weight... which sometimes is not too far off the mark, but experience has also taught me this is not always the case. It's one of many self-improvements I am trying to make. I often say I am a work-in-progress.

Living in Korea has possibly made me more aware of my weight than ever. Koreans (and Asian countries in general) put so much import on appearances that I should safely say only possibly 10% or less of Koreans are overweight, and among those %10, I'd say only 3-4% are overweight women. When you are surrounded by beautiful, slim women every day, it kinda makes you feel like an elephant.

However, as a person, while I have some low esteem in this area, in others I have very high esteem, such as with things I enjoy like academics, painting, and generally being a nice and understanding person. I have a great supporting family and friends and feel lucky to have them, but I also have zero motivation or lose motivation quickly. I over-think things and usually give up before I even start. And being alone without that supporting family and friends there whenever you want to see them makes that even harder.

So, I guess I'm looking to fill in the support role here. I would really like to have lost some weight before I go back to the States, and I guess that's my overall goal for now. I'm hoping to share this journey with some of you who are going through the same thing.
welcome to the forum.
i hope that you are in your best shape now and enjoying your life!

Last edited by westponka; 12-05-2018 at 01:34 PM.
westponka is offline   Reply With Quote