Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/209/150

Height: 5'4"

Default This is the year I finally do it

Hello, I'm Wry. I work in tech, which means I often work long and crazy hours. I don’t have much free time, which has affected both my eating/food shopping patterns as well as the fact I feel into a multi-year rut of not exercising. Living off carry-out and convenience foods. Periods of sleep deprivation. Rewarding myself for super early mornings with Venti Caramel Frnappuccinos and croissants.

My weight slowly crept up… and up… and up… and I kept thinking abstract thoughts about dieting/exercising/eating more healthfully . . . someday.

But what changed? Why now?

Turning 40 and remembering that my grandmother died of a heart attack at 65. And my mother had her first heart attack at 68. My uncle had quadruple bypass surgery . . . twice.

I realized I was having more “bad knee days”, from an old sports injury back when I was actually pretty athletic. I’m hopeful that reducing my weight will have a positive impact on my knee.

I’m in a wonderful, long term relationship. My partner and I wind up attending a fair amount of black tie events and fundraisers, and I got really tired and frustrated with the crappy selection of cocktail and evening dresses available in plus sizes. Frustrated with looking for the least matronly option then hoping I wouldn’t be wearing the same dress as every other plus size lady in attendance. My partner is very pert-a-porter and I’m looking forward to the day when we can go dress shopping together.

I’m a bit disgusted with myself, that ultimately it’s vanity and fashion motivating me rather than my health.

New Years Day, I started a new regime. Part diet, part exercise plan, part lifestyle change. Eating healthier. Tracking calories with the MyFitnessPal app. Syncing that with the Withings scale/body analyzer and my AppleWatch/iPhone. I’ve found it incredibly helpful to have this system of real time, digital accountability.

And I’ve lost 15 pounds to date — partly due to the stomach bug I caught in early January. (Not recommended! But having zero appetite for the better part of a week sure helped me get past the sugar cravings!)
Wry_Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 174/169.6/125

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Wry! I can relate to vanity being the main motivator, and that's just fine!

You'll find a wonderful, supportive group here!
wolfchan is offline   Reply With Quote