Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 10-17-2015, 07:44 AM   #1  

Default New to this site, not new to losing weight

I'm new here and have heard about this site for the longest time. Finally made the connection and it seems great so far! I am a newbie here but not to the weight loss effort. Over the years, I have tried it all. Spent boo koo bucks on the quick fixes and fads until finally at age 50 I realized that it all has to begin and end with me. There is no magic pill, no quick fix, nothing that will take the weight off and keep it off unless I'm willing to do the work.

At this point I am just trying to figure out what plan of action to take. I have used Weight Watchers too many times to count. I start, pay the fee, pay the monthly fee, quit. Yes, it worked for me. At one point I lost almost 40 lbs. Almost met my full goal too. But I tire very easily with confusing math, special apps and calculators just to make a quick meal or try to figure out what the heck I can eat. I'm also tired of paying someone else when it's ME that has to do all the work you know?

I tried low carb (severe and moderate). Both work well but I quickly tire of the food choices and I know I can't live that way, ever. Within 2 weeks I feel sick to my stomach if I have to look at fat or another piece of meat. So although I lose weight and the energy I have is wonderful, it's not for me.

I tried counting calories and it's quite simple, nothing hard to do at all for the most part, but I feel hungry all the time.

Forget all the fad diets and wonder capsules and fat burning plastic suits, belts and other contraptions over 30+ years that I've tried... LOL

So that leads me to where I am right now. Knowing I have about 43 lbs to lose to meet my set goal weight and trying to figure out the best course of action to take. Excersize is definitely in there regardless. I am a gym member who loves to pay and not go so that has to change. I also just had to buy a combo stationary bike / eliptical so the dust rag has yet another thing to clean off. So that has to change. Hubby and I have talked about taking walks at night too, our lips sure are in shape with all this talking. So that has to change too. So many changes....

I joined this forum so I have a place to read and write, a place to meet people who are like me and to get ideas and motivation. Maybe after I'm here for a bit I will figure out what to do and what's best to try. Thanks for reading and I look forward to meeting new friends and becoming helpful as time goes on.
TDHDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Welcome, TDHDee, and I love your sense of humor! I know how you feel, I've been there - done that, too. You are so right, that it all comes down to "me."

We all have to find what works best for us, for our individual needs and lifestyle. I've discovered what works best for me is giving up the sugar, white bread and pasta, and simple starches. As long as I eat complex carbs, such as beans and whole wheat products, eat plenty of vegetables, lean proteins, and stay away from processed foods, it satisfies my hunger and I can lose weight.

Good luck, and I hope you can find a plan that works best for you!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW 233/SW 230/207/165

Height: 5'3"

Hi TDHDee! Welcome. I'm inline with cottagebythesea. I have been doing the same guidelines. I had lost 40+ lbs before, but gained it all back, plus some because I did not stick with the plan. I have resolved this time, I HAVE to, to maintain a lower weight. I love sweets and breads. They are my downfall. As long as I can moderate myself on them and select healthier options, knowing I can have an occasional treat, I will continue losing and in the future maintain. I have some joint issues, so I have not incorporated any exercise, but I hope to when I am at a lower weight and my joints can take the strain.

Good luck on your journey. The people here are very helpful and inspiring!
katiam247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:29 AM   #4  
flyin purple people eater

S/C/G: sz 20/22 --> sz 10/12 --> sz 8

Height: 5'8"

I'm nodding my head with cottagebythesea and katiam247 - once I managed to kick sugar and bread out of my life for good, the weight fell off. I don't weigh myself or count calories, just go by the fit of my clothes and eat as close to zero processed foods as possible. It works well for me.

I've also sort of fallen into an intermittent fasting way of eating, which basically means I eat all my calories for the day between the hours of 12-8pm (or so). Skipping breakfast has been a great move for me because I would just binge on simple carbs and carry on bingeing for the rest of the day. When I spend my mornings drinking herbal tea and waiting patiently for lunch, I eat much more mindfully. Best of luck to you!!
Raisin5Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:20 AM   #5  

I feel you TDHDee. I have a very similar story.

I do the glycemic load diet, which I call "cheaters low carb" in my head. The rules are actually pretty similar to the ladies above. No bread, no potatoes, no sugar drinks. You can eat low carb bread/tortillas if you wish. The goal is not to stay in ketosis, but to keep your blood sugar even. Fruit and bean dishes are fine. I eat a lot of vegetarian meals. I also eat mostly low fat meats because I had my gallbladder removed, but I eat nuts and avocado slowly spread throughout the day to get a decent amount of healthy fats into my diet. You can also have small amounts of non-starchy sugar like hard candy.

Last edited by Wild Blue Yonder; 10-17-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Wild Blue Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:03 AM   #6  

Thank you all for the warm welcome!! I enjoy reading how other people are managing to lose weight, keep it off and still enjoy living! I look forward to reading more message boards here and testing my own waters. Have a great Sunday!
TDHDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

TGHDee! Like the others, I advocate cutting back on "white" foods. However, I know me, and I'm not going to stick to a diet that won't let me have them at all, so my diet includes one day a week when I can eat whatever I want. (Naturally, that wouldn't be a good idea for anyone who might be triggered to fall off the wagon by doing that, but it works very well for me!) Besides my diet, I really like the glycemic load diet. I think that's extremely sensible. But there are lots of good diet plans here, and definitely the key to success is finding the one that works best for you! Good luck!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 10-18-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote