Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-29-2015, 05:49 PM   #1  

Default Hello. I am a big whiner.

I'm so confused about everything. I feel like there's so much conflicting advice, and so many extenuating circumstances to deal with!

I overeat every single day of my life, to the point of being ill. It's worse now because I stopped smoking almost a year ago and also now work at a grocery store so food is everywhere.

I don't think I've been truly hungry in years.

I'm trying to lose about 40-45 lbs. I don't exercise except for my bicycle commute to and from work, which is 16 miles total, 5 days a week. But I don't push myself and take about an hour each way.

Right now, I'm trying to count all my calories and practice intuitive eating, but it's really hard to gauge calories of every little teeny condiment and bite of anything. Also, it's almost 3 in the afternoon and I'm not feeling any hunger pangs at all, so maybe I'm honestly still not hungry?

I don't know. Anyway, that was me whining. I'm a twentysomething vegan lady with a fairly sedentary lifestyle and a couple of cats. I hope to gain knowledge and lose weight.

That is all. Thank you!
MereMortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #2  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

MereMortal, you've got some good things going! That bike commute is MONEY when it comes to weight loss. Incorporating exercise into your daily lifestyle is the very best way to do it. Right not you're "eating back" your exercise calories, from the sound of it, but you have the opportunity to benefit from that daily calorie burn once you get a sustainable eating plan going. I bike commute about the same distance and have for many years, and it's awesome.

I've also been vegetarian/vegan (alternating) for over 20 years - it doesn't make weight loss as much of a challenge anymore, given how abundant produce and other healthy vegan foods are these days. Working in a grocery store allows you to discover all of the foods that can help you on your way to weight loss - interesting grains and beans, etc.

Exploring your hunger is a very useful thing to do. Can you plan ahead to have a delicious healthy meal ready, then let yourself get somewhat hungry (not very) and then eat it? Food tastes a million times better when you're hungry. Calorie counting is very useful to some people, and inadequate/frustrating for others. I've veered away from counting recently and instead axed the foods that were treating my body badly (sugar, flours, and things with sugar or flours, plus a few others). It seems to work better for me than straight calorie counting so far; YMMV.

It actually can be fun to embrace a new way of eating and construct new meals that you never have eaten before. I've made a delicious low-carb pumpkin pudding, good energy bars, a totally repellent bean-based "brownie", fantastic soup, etc. If you find some threads here that are diet-related, (e.g. Calorie Counters or Carb Counters under "Diet Central"), you can get some great meal ideas there. Also, join a thread for your age group or just a general thread in "Weight Loss Support" and you'll get some wonderful group support. There is also an Intuitive Eating thread in "General Diet Plans/Questions" that is quite active.

Hope this helps. And hooray for kittie lovers!

Last edited by JayZeeJay; 09-29-2015 at 08:01 PM.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

MereMortal! JayZeeJay gave you some excellent advice! I do want to say don't be so hard on yourself. NO ONE could accuse you of having a sedentary lifestyle with your biking 16 miles a day, and it doesn't matter how long it takes you to do it! You're doing it and that's an accomplishment! Also, I want to second the sentiment, 'Hurray for kitty lovers! Good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote