Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #1  

Default Newcomer male. Where do I start??

Hello all
Never ever did I think I would come to a forum to seek help with my weight loss. I am 42, over 23 stone and have at last admitted I need help to get my weight back down. My wife doesn't even know Iam on here!
But where do I start? I know it's less calories? More exercise? Is it that simple? I work away from home most of the time and that is where my problems started. Too much time on my hands at night to eat way too much and drink too much alcohol. It has been a struggle for a while with my weight, not long back from abroad on holiday and I hated the way I have turned into.
Any help tips would be gratefully received. I know it won't be easy but for someone like me to admit I need help is in itself a big hurdle to overcome. Here goes then!
Thanks all
dcelt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW 233/SW 230/207/165

Height: 5'3"

Hi Dcelt. Welcome to the forum. First thing you need to do is write down EVERYTHING you eat. Sometimes just listing your daily meals/snacks can make you realize just how much you are putting in your mouth. Next thing you do is determine how many calories it is. There are lots of food databases with calorie counts you can use. Then you can search for a site that can give you the number of calories you should be eating to lose weight.

Last edited by katiam247; 09-27-2015 at 02:51 PM.
katiam247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/138

Height: 5ft 3

hello! welcome!

Have you told your wife you want to make a change?
It might be easier and you may be more likely to do it successfully with her support. My man is a great support - we are doing it together and we have friendly competition going on to see who can run faster/finish a 5k first etc.
Rechyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

dcelt73! Counting calories is a good way to go. There's a computer and phone app called myfitnesspal which you can log your food and exercise into and it will keep track of the calories for you. If you're not the type to keep track, then maybe you can start simply by cutting down your portions, not allowing yourself to mindlessly snack (you know, when you start popping food into your mouth without even thinking about it), and cutting waaaay back on alcohol, which contains empty calories and too many of them! My problem is craving sugar and other carbs (breads, cereals, rice, pasta, potatoes), so my method isn't counting calories. I am doing a modified version of the Slow Carb Diet. Whichever method you choose, good luck! You can do this! Take a look around here and jump right in. Some boards and threads are more active than others (just check the dates), but the more involved you become, the more you'll get out of it!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Hi dcelt73. I was 39, 20 stone. I am 40 now and about 12 stone. My advice is also get the eating right, at least initially. I lost the fat through diet and then built muscle and fitness through exercise and diet. I had to break myself down to build myself up again. Make small changes and use your successes to motivate you to make bigger changes. Find things that work for you. Experiment. Chop and change. Sleep around with your diet (and later exercise) until you find something that fits. I would give you what I did and what I do but it would not work for you. It only works for me. I never gave up the booze by the way

Find your own path. It's a lot of fun trying.

Last edited by IanG; 09-27-2015 at 09:36 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #6  

Thanks all for the replies. My wife does know Iam trying to lose the weight. She is a great support. As of today the changes have started. Cut out all snacks and no alcohol at night after work. Will be looking at various diets on here, until I find one that suits me. Iam sure I will get there. Thanks all.
dcelt73 is offline   Reply With Quote