Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/192/140

Height: 5'2"

Wink New to the scene! Looking to learn and get fit!

Hello everyone, I am very excited about joining this community and sharing tips and ideas and support! I have been losing weight on my own on and off for a year or so but this is the first time I've tried to find support online or otherwise.

About 6 months ago, after a few months of really poor eating choices, I realized that I was showing symptoms of pre diabetes, what a wakeup call. I knew that if I kept going that way I was going to get adult onset diabetes and I also know that I'm not getting any younger and it's only going to get harder to lose this excess weight. So I'm getting serious about getting healthy and I am happy to find people doing the same.
About me

- I am a 28 year old woman, 5'2", currently 206lb, my starting weight and highest weight was 234). I have always lived a pretty active life and I bike/walk everywhere!

-I have weighed about 200 most of my adult life. At some point 6 or 7 years ago I 'accidently' lost about 30lbs due to what I considered minor life style changes and I was the thinnest I've been as an adult but then my life changed again and gained that back and double.

-I am a self employed artist in New Orleans, where the past time is drinking and all the food is delicious and unhealthy (I gained 20lb the first year I moved here, seriously. I call them my Popeye's pounds)

-In a serious 4+ yr relationship with a very supporting boyfriend. We have one cat who I am obsessed with.

-I love art, John Waters, Music, Pop Culture, True Crime, Animals, laughing, parades, sewing, biking, nature, traveling, learning, cats, and Nic Cage

-I have always been overweight becoming very overweight in high school. My relationship with food has always been unhealthy. My parents often used food as a reward or a comfort when I was a kid. Learning portion control, and how to eat a balanced diet has been something I've done as an adult on my own. My family's idea of a balanced diet is based mostly on the SAD (standard American diet, high in fat/simple carbs and red meat, sooooo much processed food also, there was rarely a meal my family ate that didn't come from a box.) My mom's solution to weight loss was diet pills starting when I was 11. Yes both my parents are overweight. My mom passed away suddenly 4 years ago at age 46, a contributing factor was obesity.

-What I am doing! So when I started trying to lose weight I really had no idea what I was doing. I bought Zumba and my friend who was a weight loss counselor and had lost 100+lbs herself gave me a loose meal plan/ explained serving sizes to me. I instantly lost 10lbs! I did Zumba 5x a week. After many failures, some weird experiments (anyone heard of the master cleanse?) and a ton of research I've found a routine that works for me. I have been clean eating on and off for the better part of 6 months and it has totally changed my diet for the better, I have also been counting calories and exercising (still zumba) at least 3 times a week. Recently more since I am about to start Jillian Michaels Body Revolution program. I have also sadly, pretty much cut out alcohol completely.

I have found that completely planning out my diet a week in advance helps curb my desire to binge and helps eliminate bad choice making. I still have bad days, I am still making poor choices sometimes, or excuses other times. But I am motivated, I know I can do this! Thanks for reading!
ohclementine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! I see you're already getting around The forum finding some groups! That's the way to do it. Best wishes on your goals.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxiss View Post
Welcome! I see you're already getting around The forum finding some groups! That's the way to do it. Best wishes on your goals.
Thanks Lexxiss! I love how supportive everyone is here. And congrats on your amazing weight loss also, it is so inspiring to see all these real people meet their goals.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #4  
Mandy

S/C/G: 153/153/120

Height: 5'5'' or 165cm

Hi to you too! I know, slipping into bad habits can be so subtle sometimes. I totally admire you for walking/biking places! I'd probably just lie down halfway haha
It's great that you have support, though! Both my parents are overweight, as well, it's weird to let go of the habits you've been taught all your life. My condolences for your mother.
Hey looks like you're on the right track! 10lbs, wow. Good luck to both of us!
wendybirdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:18 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendybirdx View Post
Hi to you too! I know, slipping into bad habits can be so subtle sometimes. I totally admire you for walking/biking places! I'd probably just lie down halfway haha
It's great that you have support, though! Both my parents are overweight, as well, it's weird to let go of the habits you've been taught all your life. My condolences for your mother.
Hey looks like you're on the right track! 10lbs, wow. Good luck to both of us!
Thanks wendybirdx! I find living in a city this is the best way to get around, so it was more for practicality with a bonus of health points, haha.

I will have to agree with you about letting go of habits, there were many things I used to do with out even considering how they affected my health simply because they were so normalized in my home (like drinking several cans of soda a day) And when I started learning what portions should look like I was shocked as heck. I am still amazed at how large of portions my Dad and my step mom eat, at every meal.

Anyway 2015 is no excuses! I think we got this
Old 01-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #6  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! It sounds like you have a great plan and a super positive attitude
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 164/161.6/115

Height: 5.4

Yay, another new person. Sounds like you have got a good plan and something that is working. Hopefully this forum will give you new ideas to build into your plan and support for those rough and tough days.
theonlywayisdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #8  

@NNS, thanks!

@theonlywayisdown, As long as I stick with it, hahaha. I find the Goal forums to be so inspirational. If I'm hankering for something terrible I look there. Works like a charm!

I look forward to watching all of us achieve our goals this year and making some friends here.

Last edited by ohclementine; 01-05-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #9  
apple to apple core

S/C/G: 275/215/175

Height: 5'7"

I was born in Louisiana, but I didn't grow up there. However, suffice it to say, when I do visit my relatives down there, I have to wear elasticized waistband pants because of all the eating I do best food ever.

Good luck with your diet goals, and see you around the boards
TooWicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #10  

@TooWicky Hey and thanks! I've only been here 5 years, I love it though, you are lucky to have grown up with it! Good luck to you too!