Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-24-2014, 11:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 196

Height: 5 feet

Default need some advice

hello everyone, not very good on the computer but i'll struggle along..i am new to this forum but not new to dieting. i am nearly as wide as i am tall now. have tried sooooo many diets. i finally have decided to follow two programs at the same time in hopes i will have more success. i am going to keep my carbs around 60 to 70 grams, and at the same time keep my calories at or under 1400 calories. i am very thick around the middle and there is alot of diabetes in my family, hence the carb watch. but i have attempted atkins and got depressed so am following "life without bread" but not as much fat as he calls for,(to keep the calories down) so, all i can do is try i guess. appreciate any input from anyone who has done something similar.
grannytulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 302/294/160

Height: 170 cm

Hi grannytulip! I'm new around here as well - I'm sure you'll get used to it quickly.

I notice you're from Canada. Me too! I'm up in Northwestern Ontario.

This is just a thought, but perhaps an adjustment to your frame of thinking would help? For example, don't think "Here I go on a diet again!" But more "Hey, I want to eat healthier and be more active!"

It sounds like you might be already taking that approach - finding something that you feel you can actually sustain long-term. Limiting carbs is definitely something I find helpful, myself. But also using whole grains when I do have carbs.

Also, I am not in any way an expert, but it seems to me that under 1400 calories might be a bit dangerous. I'm sure there are others here who can clarify that better than I can, but you don't want to send your body into panic mode and end up *storing* fat instead of burning it!

Do you have any plans to increase your activity level at all? It doesn't have to be anything overly strenuous or difficult. Just starting with a walk around the block works wonders - really!

Anyway, I've babbled on enough. I hope you keep coming here and find support and encouragement to continue on your journey. Good luck!

Last edited by Bardess; 09-26-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Bardess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #3  
(they're flowers)

S/C/G: 174/*ticker*/125

Height: 5'4''

Hi grannytulip! to the forum. I have to agree with Bardess and you should definitely focus on not looking at your journey as a diet, but rather a lifestyle change, as cheesy as that sounds. My mom actually suggested I stay away from Atkins, because within the first week, you'd feel like utter crap. I can, however share a bit of what I do! I totally understand if doesn't work for you though.

I'm currently following the lifestyle of Jorge Cruises's Belly Fat Cure. The goal of his program is to not eat more than 15 grams of sugar and six servings of carbs, which is /up to/ 120 grams. Although 15 grams of sugar can surely add up quickly (his program also keeps you off natural sugars, so it's not a style fruit lovers could handle), it had me reading labels in another way PLUS it made me realize how much added sugars can be found in everyday foods.

I hope through wandering around the forums, you're able to find some plans and recipes/ideas that best suit you! Best of luck on your journey.
Atarimae is offline   Reply With Quote