Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/233/155

Height: 5'3"

Default Hello from Oklahoma!

Good Morning! My name is Heather. I am at a stage where, plainly put, enough is enough. I have started to create new habits, and change my lifestyle, rather than go after it for a week and forget and give up and then be depressed, and go over that cycle as many times as possible. Changes are better!

I am tired of not being able to fit in the movie theatre seats, being uncomfortable in chairs at work, breaking chairs, and spending money on unhealthy food. So with the demotivation from my doctor (told me not to worry about weight loss, I am fat enough to qualify for surgery!) I started counting my calories last week, and have been fast food free for 4 weeks as of today. I am trying!

April 1st I started incorporating my workouts into my daily routine, so we shall see how this goes! I am all for tips, tricks, motivation, encouragement, anything you can throw at me!

Glad to meet you all!
Lady_Ardrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #2  
Gonna be skinny!

S/C/G: 240/224/140

Height: 5'5

I know the feeling! Glad to see you here.

I am currently working on an entirely new diet plan built and managed myself with help from a nutritionist. I found that everything I read online- every fad diet or 'studies show' research where one week fat is the enemy and next it's carbs, then it's this or that..was so much contradiction that it made my head spin and well I also knew to be realistic- what will I be alright eating forever, and what will I be alright giving up forever.

To stay motivated...I have some odd habits.

I pretty myself up. I know that sounds weird, BUT...it helps me.

1- I typically exercise at home in my jammies, but I own 'official' gym clothes- and I wear them out of the house...on errands and shopping trips. For some reason, wearing them reminds me of what I am doing, my goals (especially at the grocery store). It reminds me to park further from the door. It reminds me NOT to buy those new cookies. It reminds me to pick up some fruits and veggies. I just feel empowered to do everything I can outside of the house, to push toward my goal. Like they say, every extra step helps. Hope that makes sense.

2- I do my hair, my nails, put on nice lotion, use face creams- just generally be a girl. My self-esteem dropped so low, that I wasn't actually putting a lot of effort into those girly things. I figured, what's the point really? I'm still fat and unattractive...and some painted nails and perfume isn't gonna change that. I do this stuff, even when I am just staying home for the day. Why? Because it motivates me to get to a point that I am comfortable with my body, and a time in my life where those things will finally feel like a great addition to the new me. Of course, many do that girly stuff all the time, I just happened not to be one of them until now. It was pony tails and the baggiest clothing I could find, hoping to just hide under them.

3- I open up all the curtains in my house and sit where I am directly in the sunlight- it gives me a lot of energy!

I guess my advice is to find a few new good habits to add to your dieting that just make you feel good. Go out of your way to do just a few little things that actually improve your mood, because the better your mood, the easier the diet is. What are some things you imagine doing when you are the new skinny girl at work- that you don't do now? Think about those things and start doing them now.

Last edited by ladypeacek; 04-02-2014 at 08:38 PM.
ladypeacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:40 AM   #3  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Heather!

Ladypeacek gave you some great motivational ideas!

I was in your shoes back in 2005-06. I am 5'6" and weighed 252 lbs at age 44. I was working four or five 24 hour-a-day shifts a week as a Paramedic. Our eating habits were not good as we ate when we could, often fast food, and I was working with two different partners who each weighed over 300 lbs. I started feeling "not well" so wrote a journal of what I ate, how I felt and studied it. I began checking my blood sugar while at work as I was showing signs of diabetes. Sure enough, I was a diabetic. I tried the diabetic diet my doc recommended with total failure. The more I thought about the food allowances the more I obsessed I became about food. I found an Atkin's New Diet Revolution book at Walmart one day, and the journey was on. It was much simpler as all I really had to think about was not eating carbs except the two cups of salad or one cup of salad and 1/2 cup of cooked veggies a day. I was able to eat the salads and grilled chicken offered at many fast food joints. In nine months, I dropped 86 lbs. I also contribute my success to drinking 1/2 my body weight in water daily up to a max of 100 ounces (as recommended by my doc). I also began walking. I started out slow and worked up to 3-4 miles daily with 1-2 days of a 7 mile walk. While at work, I walked around the station building and driveways. Sometimes I would have to do a few laps, then go on a call, then come back and walk some more laps, and so on and on.

After I lost the 86 lbs, I treated myself to cosmetic surgery called Around-The-World (Body Contouring) which removed the hanging skin from my abdomen which hung down to mid thigh. It also included liposuction in the abdomen and buttock areas. Boy what a self-esteem booster. After surgery, I was able to maintain my weight by putting a picture of the large slabs of fat the doc removed during the surgery that couldn't be exercised off on my refrigerator. I also continued to walk daily and drink plenty of water.

I hope you glean something useful from my story. I have since re-gained 35-40 lbs of the weight on two occasions due to a work related accident that disabled me for life with a back injury. I am unable to walk or stand more than 15 minutes at a time. I happen to live in a county with a water park that includes a therapy pool which is heated year-round and is covered in the winter with an air dome. I am able to walk, jog and do a crunchies type of exercise while in the water.

I wish you the best and am here for you. Find what works for you and stick with it. In my experience, if you don't enjoy it you won't stick with it.

Blessings, Firegirl
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote