Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 318/318/130

Height: 5-2

Default Finally ready to lose

I'm finally ready to lose weight. That's not totally a true statement -- I've been ready to lose for a long time, but always have an excuse not to work out or to eat that fast food.

Now, I'm done with the excuses. I am going to be purchasing a treadmill and am working to eat nutritious foods with flavor. I have wanted to do this for a long time, but I don't get a lot of support from my husband. He's 6-2 and almost 400 pounds, but doesn't have any motivation to be healthier.

I'm hoping that I can pull him into the workout mode and gradually increase the nutrition and lessen the portions he's eating.

But I'm doing this for me. I work full-time and take care of my son and puppy in the evening because my husband works 3-midnight. When my husband is home, I'm taking care of him. But I've made it clear in this house, that I'm making time for me. This is my year. This is the year that I put myself first (when appropriate, of course.) and this is the year that I finally give myself a future, by losing weight and eating the right foods.

I've attached a photo from Christmas. I'm going to take a "starting" photo when my treadmill arrives so I have a point of reference from when I've started walking and working out more.

Anyone have any tips for someone who works 50-60 hours a week and then takes care of everyone at home?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1520608_10152144328902079_826726813_n.jpg (34.0 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by spup1122; 01-12-2014 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added a question
spup1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

LOVE the attitude!!! this is YOUR time. and it looks like with your son and the puppy, you'll have EXERCISE partners! after all, puppies need walks! and a tired puppy is a GOOD puppy.

Could I mention something about your husband? it's wonderful that you want to help steer him in a different direction. However, as with everything, he has to WANT to make changes, and he has to be responsible for making them. Now, of course, this can take the form of 'honey, will you make me 4 ounces of protein and 3 cups of veggies with no fat and 1/2 cup rice for dinner' [or something like that]. Or 'let's take a family walk.' or whatever.

but if you're the one telling him the changes that have to be made, or, even worse, just making changes without him participating, it can backfire.

but no matter what he chooses, don't stop doing YOUR thing and finding your own path.

i know you can do this.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/133/140

Height: 5'2"

Good luck - - and, I do not mean this to sound insensitive, but I NEVER wear horizonatl stripes - - they make me look twice as wide as I am. A solid color top, the darker the better, does wonders in photos....

Just saying.........
EasySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #4  
300+ Chick

Good luck with your efforts!! YOU can make it happen!!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi spup1122! Good for you! You'll find lots of support here! Browse around and jump right in! You can do this! Good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Welcome Spup!

Bravo on investing in a treadmill! The moment I got mine things turned around for me mentally. It isn't even about the calories burned while working out on it, it is the endorphins and the positive feelings of accomplishment, they can make all the difference in your emotional well being!

And I second JiffyPop -- focus on YOU, your husband must begin his journey in his own time. But you can set an excellent example by taking care of YOU, and sharing your joy in the changes you'll feel!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/140/115

Height: 5" 0'

You have such a great attitude! You are right...it is time to make some time for yourself. As Mom's it is to easy to put ourselves on the back burner and not do any self care and before you know it we have crashed and burned. My best advice to you in starting this new healthy path is to lead by example and focus on you right now. It just might be the motivation your husband needs when he sees you setting the example. Keep a food journal for at least the first month or two.. Write down how certain things make you feel and keep track of what you are eating and how you were feeling on that day. It will really help you pin point other areas in your life that might need some work. A lot of weight loss success stories all have one thing in common.....People got sick and tired of being sick and tired and did something about it. They also learned to fix a lot of the underlying problems that were either holding them back or sabotaging their efforts. Keep this in mind and fight through those road blocks! You are awesome and can do this! I look forward to reading your success story! Best of luck to you!
JessKnorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 64/63/54

GOOD LUCK! Having a puppy is awesome, because even if you are so tired after work, you know you need to walk the dog, and it is great time out. Make sure you take lots of pics so you can look back on your journey!
shaping nz is offline   Reply With Quote