Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 10-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/205.4/130

Height: 5'1"

Default Trying to fix this mess I've made...

I've really made a mess of myself this time. I'm the heaviest I've ever been and the weakest. I'm 5'1" and 212lbs..(eep!) Thankfully even though the weight is up (and height is down but I can't change that lol) things like BP, sugar and all that that can be nasty is still way under control so this is just about cosmetics and comfort at this point. I really want to get myself under control before those things become an issue. I've tried weight watchers before with some success but wasn't able to make myself stick with it. (Can we say nonexsitant self control?) I'm really hoping that this time will be different.

Mortal enemies:
Fresh bread and butter
Popcorn
Pretzels
Kandy Kakes
Chocolate PB Milkshakes

All this said, I just wanted to say Hi to the community
Reigning Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Welcome and GOOD LUCK! Maybe instead of focusing on what you really have trouble having in moderation, work on getting in as much healthy food as you can and then it'll edge out the less-nutritional food. I'm working to do that and not look at food as bad/good, which I struggled with for years. Fresh, warm, crusty bread is a favorite of mine, and I can't imagine life forever without it, so I don't banish things

We've got a great group over in the Beck Diet Solution forum - the book is a way of cognitive behavior therapy (rather than a diet). You might be interested! But look around and see what forums you might feel comfortable in joining and check in!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #3  

None of your mortal enemies have to be such. As long as you count your calories and exercise, you should be able to have a bit of your 'enemies' every once in a while.

You can do this!
Kaitie9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #4  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Good to have you!
Good luck with your goals!
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #5  
C6D

S/C/G: 295/287/170

Height: 5'10"

Welcome! I just joined this site last night myself. I'm right there with you at the highest weight I have every been. I have been on bp meds for a couple of years. A really low dose right now but I really want to lose enough to maybe be able to come off it at some point. I agree with all the responses above but self control is something I struggle with too. One thing I try to do is stick to the outer edges of the grocery store. All the processed and sugary stuff tend to be in the middle. However, the bakery is between produce and meat in my grocery store. I just try to focus on my cart and sprint through that section. Good luck with your journey!!
C6D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #6  

Hi welcome! We both are very similar I currently weigh 210 and I am 5 feet 2 inches. Hope you continue to share your process. You don't need to completely avoid your enemies once in a while give in to a little bit of your enemies as you name them. I once heard someone say have one bite and stop at that because all the other ones will taste the same. No need for more.
Campana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Welcome!

I have to put my 2 cents worth in here. The others posting have advised that you can have your 'Mortal enemies" in moderation at some point in time. That may be correct but it may not. It depends on you. A few years ago, I got below 200 and thought that I could have my "enemies" in moderation. It did not take much before I was out of control and gained back a good chunk of my weight. My problem was carbs causing cravings and most of your list is high carbs.

Just a word to urge caution with thinking that you may have everything in moderation. We have to find what works for us.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 212/205.4/130

Height: 5'1"

Every body is so positive, thank you so much!

T2L I am very much if I have a little I will have a lot of the things on my "enemies" list. I have found its best if I don't have them in the house if possible. (The bf likes some of them too.) Or if they have to be in the house then they get stored way up over my head.

NationalParker, I have never heard of that Beck Diet and will be looking into it more thank you

C6D Good luck to you too!

Thank you again to everybody and good luck
Reigning Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi Reigning_Cats! It does look like your nemesis foods are "bad carb" foods (vs. "good carb" non-starchy veggies). You may want to look into a low-carb diet. You can determine how low carb you want to go (i.e. no breads/grains vs whole-grain breads/grains, etc.), but I think the sooner you get away from bad carbs, the easier it will be for you to lose the weight you want to lose. For people who are carb-sensitive, all calories are not the same. Bad carbs cause our blood sugar to spike, as it does for everyone, but then our bodies don't release a normal amount of insulin to compensate. Our bodies are flooded with insulin and that causes our blood sugar to drop drastically, which then causes us to be extremely hungry again, and of course we reach for bad carbs again because we know they instantly raise our blood sugar, and the cycle continues. The only way to break that cycle is to get away from the bad carbs in the first place. A low carb diet can do that for you. Whichever type of diet plan you choose, I wish you the best! Good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote