Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/178/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Fifth time's the charm?

This is the second time I've been on 3FC - I joined about 7 years ago right after my son was born. Since then, I've lost and regained the baby weight about four times. This past winter I hit my all time high of 190 lbs. I guess I'll start with my backstory:

I had my son with my ex-husband, who was at the time my boyfriend, and he was...less than supportive of my efforts to lose weight. He wanted me to be thin, but never wanted to watch our son so I could work out, or eat healthy food, or let me get enough sleep. He often encouraged me to take ephedrine and just not eat, because I lost a ton of weight really quickly. He would "motivate" me by calling me names and putting me down, often in front of our (mostly his) friends. He also, I learned later, had been cheating on me since I got pregnant. I coped with his constant mistreatment by drinking too much and alternating binge eating with popping diet pills and starving myself.

We got married in July of 2011 (I guess I thought things would get better after we were married...boy was I wrong), and by December his friends had told me about all the other girls and we were separated. The following year saw a huge uptick in poor eating and my drinking spiraling out of control.

Through it all, one of my ex's friends was really supportive, and we became very close. We live together now, and are planning to get married in the next year or so. I've gotten my drinking under control and my self-esteem is starting to come back. He is incredibly supportive, and several months ago he asked me what would make me happy, and what he could do to make it happen. It was the first time anyone had ever asked me that, and after thinking about it for a bit I said I'd like to go back to school to become a teacher, and finally get back in shape.

I was very fit in high school and most of college, but after my son was born I stopped running and lifting weights. I get winded climbing a flight of stairs. I'm ashamed of how I look in everything I own, and realized I've really let myself go.

So here I am, about to turn 30, wildly overweight and out of shape, without a whole lot to say for my 20's. It's time to take life by the horns and start living my life the way I want to. I start classes in November to get my Masters in Education, and I'm hoping to use the last few months of my 20's to get on the road to being healthy and fit.

So that's my story. I feel like I'm finally ready to do this the right way, and like I have the right support at home to make it happen. I really liked the community here the last time I joined, and I look forward to sharing this journey with like-minded folks. I look forward to sharing motivation and support with you all, hopefully making some new friends!

As an aside, does anyone know how to change your user name? I reactivated my account from when I was 23, but I would prefer not to use my ex's name anymore!
AJ'sAwesomeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 203/199/130

Height: 5'4

Good for you and good luck!! I have struggled with drinking myself and you should be proud of what you have accomplished...it's amazing what being with a jerk can do to your emotional and physical well being.
Dolly Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #3  

Thanks Dolly! I'm really motivated to turn things around...I am proud of what I've accomplished so far - but I still have a long way to go. Best of luck to you as well!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi Becky! BACK! Girl, you are going to love the 30's! They really are the time when a woman comes into her own, and it's looks like you got a head start! It's so great that you are back here, and you know we'll support you! As far as changing your name, here's a link: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/anno...-accounts.html. Good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #5  

Thanks Jacqui!!