What to do?

• I like the atmosphere here. People seem to care about each other. I've had a few challenges lately and I'm trying to get in a sensible place about eating.

After 12 years of working full time and having primary responsibility for the care of two sick relatives my situation has changed. My relatives passed away and while I am very sad I am also enjoying my new freedom. I began focusing on caring for myself.

I was walking 10,000 steps for day and doing well on the South Beach diet when I had surgery for a burst appendix. There were several complications and I now have a colostomy. I'm recuperating from that surgery and preparing for the colostomy reversal surgery in late October. I've lost 25 pounds between the diet and the surgery. I have fifty more to go. The doctor said to not try to lose weight until after the next surgery and to eat a lot of protein. Im eating the protein and lots of veggies but I've begun craving carbohydrates. this is scary, I don't want gain weight. I'm thinking of going on phase one of the south beach diet again to get rid of the cargo cravings. My question is are there other ways to stop craving carbs?
  • Welcome! Glad you found us. You have come to the right place to find support and motivation for achieving your weight loss success. I am sorry about your losses, but I cared for my dad and I can fully understand the new found freedom you feel. I had bladder surgery in May so I am with you on how hard it is to get back in the swing of things. Getting ready to have surgery again in October throws another curve in your issues also. The South Beach diet is a healthy eating plan in my opinion so that may be a good option for you. I would say just do what you can and don't sweat it too bad until you get over your upcoming surgery. I look forward to following your success.
  • Thanks fire girl. I appreciate the comraderie. It helps to know there are people with similar experiences.
  • Hi Bean Jean! You'll find lots of support here! Be sure to check out the South Beach Diet forum: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/. There are lots of forums here to browse and great people to meet, so jump right in! Good luck and I hope you heal very soon!