Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #1  
Just One Day!

S/C/G: 270/ticker/150

Height: 5'6''

Default A Reintroduction: I'm a Mama Now :)

Hi Everyone!
I left here last June when I found out I was expecting. At the time I was around 250 lbs and was being treated for hypothyroidism.

During pregnancy I gained 28 lbs. Within 3 weeks of giving birth I was down to 245lbs and was happily fitting back into my regular pants. At my 6 week postpartum appointment I weighed 234, and my thyroid tests showed that I had gone from hypothyroid to hyperthyroid, which was why I was loosing so much weight. I was referred to an endocrinologist and an appointment was made for a month later.

By the time I made it to that appointment I had gained 40 lbs in water weight (my whole body was swollen). When the tests came back for my thyroid this time, it showed an extremely HYPOthyroid (for those who are familiar with thyroid numbers, my TSH was 45). The endocrinologist informed me that i had gained the weight (the 40 lbs in one month) from being sedentary and over-eating (despite the fact that i had returned to work caring for my own child as well as a 2 year old and 4 year old) and that they wouldn't treat my thyroid until I reached 6 months postpartum as they were sure it was just my bodies response to giving birth that caused my thyroid levels to be so messed up.

At 5 months postpartum I was up to 315, which was 35 lbs more than I weighed when I went to the hospital to give birth at 38 weeks pregnant! I started making phone calls to different endocrinologists, practically begging for help. Many agreed with the previous endocrinologist, that I was gaining weight due to lifestyle and that my thyroid would revert to normal by 6 months postpartum. But one endocrinologist actually took me seriously and called me back personally (rather than having a nurse relay the message). When I informed him that I had gained in excess of 70 lbs in 3 months, he wanted to see me immediately.

This time my TSH was even higher (it was 96) and I was diagnosed with hashimato's thyroiditis (an autoimmune disease). I was put on levothyroxine (which I had taken prior to pregnancy and all throughout pregnancy) and cytomel.

That was 6 weeks ago. We are still trying to figure out dosages and get my thyroid to a normal level. I am getting some of my energy back and my joints aren't hurting as much as before so I am going to start working out again.

I am looking forward to the support I found here before and getting down to a healthy weight!
tavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #2  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Oh my goodness. I am glad you found a doctor who is willing to listen and respond responsibly! I wish you the best of luck in figuring out a treatment plan that works!
Also, congratulations on becoming a mama, and welcome back to 3FC!

Last edited by belovedspirit; 08-31-2013 at 03:12 PM.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Congratulations, to you on the birth of your little one! How beautiful and exciting. I'm also glad you found a doctor to take you and your experience seriously.

It boggles my mind that you encountered so many doctors and "professionals" who were so dismissive of you. Just reinforces the point that if you don't push and advocate for yourself with your health, no one will. Good for you for being persistent.
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

That is what they always say. Your lifestyle. Eat less and exercise more. I am a bit shocked this even came from endocrinologists. Thyroid problems are where you need to take charge of your own health care as best as possible in my opinion. There seem to be so few doctors who actually have a clue. Glad you finally seem to have found one and you can focus on baby.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

back tavvy and on your new baby! I am glad you found a doctor who is treating you as an individual now and not just a typical textbook case! I do hope you get your thyroid straightened out soon. You will definitely find support here! Good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #6  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

Height: 5'6"

Welcome back! I can feel for you with the thyroid issues. I have been hypothyroid for 34 years now. Telling my age, but I was diagnosed at 15 years of age. It is a constant battle to keep it regulated. Mine has been more on track the last few years, but I battle it working for awhile and then not working for awhile. I'm glad you found a doc who will work with you and actually listen to you. You are blessed as they are few and far between anymore. I look forward to following your progress and hopefully hear about the little one growing up in the process. Treasure every moment with your little bundle of joy...they grow up so fast.
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote