Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #1  

Default Things have GOT to change, so I'm here!

Hello everyone, another new member here!

My story isn't anything new or exciting. My name is Emily, I just turned 22, and I've basically been fat my entire life. Every woman in my family is big, so it's never really bothered me too much. When I started college four years ago I actually lost a little bit of weight without even trying, but now that I've taken a break from school, I've gained all of it back and then some. I'm currently somewhere around 255lbs (not sure exactly, I avoid scales like the plague). But again, this doesn't bother me too much. I don't mind being big, but I would like to lose enough weight to start feeling good about myself again. I just never know where to start.

That said, it really isn't my main goal for joining here. As I've said, my mother is big, and my dad is getting there himself. My dad is also diabetic. He has horrible eating habits, and my mother does nothing to discourage it anymore. A few years ago she had started us all on a "diabetic diet" but it didn't last more than a month or two, at best. Today I caught my dad eating a plate full of cupcakes. This is the final straw for me. My entire family has got to start eating better. We've got to start being healthier in general. I just don't know where to start with anything. Every time I've tried in the past, everything has just been too overwhelming and I've given up. I can't do that this time. I love my family too much to let these bad habits continue.

So you might not hear too much out of me for a little while. I'm probably going to lurk around until I can get things figured out. But I just wanted to let everyone know I'm here.
kanalratten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #2  

Hi welcome to the forum. I am also 22 years old and have just joined. I am planning on using Weight Watchers so what plan or diet are you going on?
lana3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 248/225/165

Height: 5'9/5'8/....

Thumbs up newbie to newbie

:c arrot:

you ARE good enough
you ARE strong enough
and you ARE gonna make a change because you have reached out for help. God bless you for loving your family enough to take the first step. Make a committment to yourself and get on here every day to get that encouragement to keep taking steps. It isnt going to be easy, but youre no longer alone.
memeyerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #4  

Thanks for the welcome!

And I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. As I said, it's just so overwhelming! I have been thinking about Weight Watchers for myself, but I don't think that would help my family much. Plus, many of the women I work with have been on Weight Watchers before and I haven't seen any change so I'm not sure if it doesn't work or they've just lapsed with it or what.
kanalratten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

Hi!

I understand you completely. My family has terrible eating habits, and while both my brothers and my dad (until recently) were thin my mom has yo-yoed for my entire life and I've always been big. There was always junk food in the house. When I look back it seemed as though our dinners were usually quite small so we'd all be hungry and the chips would come out after dinner. There were times when the 5 of us would have 3 different bags open.

Whenever I've lived away from home I've lost weight and whenever I've come back I've gained. I was home for 4 months last summer and gained over 20 pounds!!

I know you want to help take care of the rest of your family but it's best to start out with yourself, maybe they'll see you eating healthier and try to follow. I'd recommend just watching your portion sizes to begin with. Most people eat way too much at one sitting, I know I used to. I'd recommend buying a food scale to help with that, you can find them really cheap. I use myfitnesspal.com to track everything I eat, you can try that out or another similar website/app.

Good luck and hopefully you making changes will help your family as well.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8.5"

And I agree that even though you want to help your family, you can ultimately be responsible only for your own health. As you said, it can be totally overhwelming for you to try to turn things around for everyone. Perhaps by setting the example and starting to eat right and exercise yourself, you will encourage them to do the same.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #7  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Hey! I'm new here too. I'm 25, and a full-time student. You are very caring to want to encourage your family. My mother is diabetic, and my father also has poor eating habits. I am finding that the most powerful way for me to influence my own family has been to start being healthier myself.
You can do this, believe in yourself. Your happiness and health are worth any amount of effort. Sending positive thoughts your way!
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote