Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #1  

Default Sick of this struggle

Hi everyone. I am a 26 year old male who has been overweight for the past 13 years. I am sick of it. I try losing weight everyweek and I like to exercise, but I cannot quit eating unhealthy. I love junk food. I was addicted to painkillers 2 years ago and I had to go to rehab. While in rehab they told me I was hooked on junk food also. Maybe they are right. Maybe I am addicted I dont know. I know i get depressed when I quit eating junk food and I always go back to eat. As I am getting older I am starting to worry about my health. I want to be healthy and quit eating crap and enjoy my life.
huskyfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #2  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Glad you have found this wonderful forum. Understanding that you want to be healthier and you know what foods are not good for you gets you started in the right direction. Have you found an eating plan that you like? YOU will feel so much better (mentally and physically) eating healthy foods (My brain clears up and I feel smarter and lighter eating low carb/mostly protein but that is good for me as I am much older). Tour around the place and you will find answers to your questions.

Go for it as YOU are important!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #3  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 280/272/160

Height: 5'8"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!
Iheartsushi418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #4  
Just watch me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyfella View Post
Hi everyone. I am a 26 year old male who has been overweight for the past 13 years. I am sick of it. I try losing weight everyweek and I like to exercise, but I cannot quit eating unhealthy. I love junk food. I was addicted to painkillers 2 years ago and I had to go to rehab. While in rehab they told me I was hooked on junk food also. Maybe they are right. Maybe I am addicted I dont know. I know i get depressed when I quit eating junk food and I always go back to eat. As I am getting older I am starting to worry about my health. I want to be healthy and quit eating crap and enjoy my life.
You've already done a lot by going to rehab for your painkiller addiction. Congrats !

When you 'quit' eating junk food, what do you eat? Some people eat lots of 'diet' foods that don't really have much nutrition, and just focus on calories. I think that most people who eat whole foods, including lots of leafy greens, vegetables, and lean proteins do get more healthy and lose weight. Check out Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live program - you can gets lots of info just by checking over the website and don't really have to $$$. He talks about how junk foods leave the body without enough nutrition, and people are hungry because they're not getting enough nutrition. Even making one change a month - like add a couple of healthy meals a week - will add to your health and make it more easy to make the next change - again, don't take on too much change at once.

I'm confident that if you take it slow and do the research you will succeed.
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8.5"

Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #6  
Chickadee

S/C/G: 291/281/191

Height: 5'4"

Welcome! Have you tried alternatives to junk food? Such as lower fat, rice cakes instead of chips, whole wheat, etc? I've noticed some of them are even more flavorful than the junk Also, you can eat food that is 'bad for you' as long as you practice portion control. You can't cut everything out at once! Just try starting off with going from 5 sodas a day to 1. Then cut out potato chips one week... candy the next.... etc., etc. Baby steps

Good luck!
Desirada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #7  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! You have already gotten some great advice here. When you were in rehab, didn't they wean you off the painkillers instead of taking them all at once. It worked for you then so go with what you know. Wean yourself off junk food. Just like the others have said, take it in baby steps. My best advice would be to check back here often for motivation and if you feel yourself thinking of a real binge, come here and read till it passes. I lost 86 lbs back in 2006 and was on a different forum. I did that and it worked great for me.
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote