Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #1  

Default Hi All

Obviously, I'm new because . . . I'm starting in the introductions thread!

Actually, I signed in here probably two years ago, didn't say much and didn't have the motivation or the "click" in my head to really do anything with my weight (other than wish it away and THAT doesn't work, hard as I tried). I only lasted here a week or so.

This time, I have the motivation and I hope to go all the way to goal - or all the way to healthy (whichever comes first).

A little about me. I'm *ahem* fifty-%*& and would like to lose about 100 pounds. I have been having problems with my knees and feet, which isn't a huge surprise, but the pain got to the point where I went to an orthopedic surgeon who told me that the cartilage is gone or nearly gone in both knees and that they will need to be replaced. He told me that if I'm lucky, I have 10 years with my original knees. Now, I'm thinking that I should've had my feet x-rayed as well. (I have a sneaking suspicion that they have arthritis.) But what he told me has me thinking of how difficult it would be to test out new knees with this much weight.

All the while, I have had a steady stream of Diet Coke running through my system. Soon after the knee diagnosis I had a horrible bout with bronchitis. The days before going to the doctor, I was eating very little but still drinking Diet Coke. One night I woke up coughing, got up to get a drink (of DC, of course), looked at the bottle and felt that if I drank it, it would hit bottom and come right back up. It just suddenly seemed THAT repulsive to me. I took a bottle of water instead.

As I said, I wasn't eating much and once I had all the meds from the doctor, I tried to keep my food intake reduced, thinking if I could be sick and eat less, surely I could survive on less food when I was better. (Imagine that!! LOL)

Sooooo . . . here I am. I have cut back on my food intake and haven't had a single ounce of Diet Coke since mid-June. I have cut out fried foods and fast foods for the most part (meaning that if I eat at McDonald's, I eat a grilled chicked salad). With those small adjustments, I have lost 33 pounds since June. Now, I have to find a way to start exercising with bad knees.

This is long and I appreciate that you've read this far. I said all that I did in the hopes of demonstrating to anyone struggling that they can start with a few simple steps and get quite a distance.

I hope to be a positive addition to the 3FC website forum.

Thank you,
Ms Shapen
Ms Shapen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:29 AM   #2  
seeking balance

S/C/G: 186/124/120

Height: 5'3"

Welcome! Sounds like you're off to a great start to getting healthier - small changes equal big results!

Love your user name! Hope to see you around the forum.
Cattails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/152/healthy,fit,confident!

Height: 5'5

It's awesome that you've cut diet coke and fast food! You're one step ahead of me.

My dad was an avid hiker (and health enthusiast) until 3 years ago when he was diagnosed with crippling arthritis in both knees that left him unable to hike. I am proud to say he now bicycles at least 30 miles a day and is in the best shape of his life at 65! He says that the biking actually helps his knees feel better

Another friend of mine just had knee surgery and swears by the power of swimming for exercise and relief if you have a pool near by.

Good luck on your journey!
chickontherocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:11 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hello and welcome!

Glad you decided to give it a try this time! And sooooooooooooooooo wise of you to cut Diet Coke and fast food out of your diet! Way to go! I have done that too and found it to be a huge help. And actually tastes better. Yesterday when I was away from home I stopped at my favorite health food store for lunch and got a sandwich made from Quejos (wonderful healthful bread substitute) filled with Vegenaise, 2 kinds of lettuce, tomato, onion, and avocado. YUM!! MUCH better than any fast food burger anywhere!!

And I too have the "no cartilage" problem... except mine is in my hip. But I've found the exercise solution. Swimming! And all kinds of water workouts with weights, etc. Very low impact and super exercise. Perhaps you could find a pool nearby and jump into it. (And yes, I know that is embarrassing to do when you are overweight.. oh boy do I know it LOL). But I just focus on "hey at least I am trying to do something about it" -- and leave on my big shirt as long as I can and then just rip it off and jump in, ha).
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #5  

Thank all of you for the welcomes. I'm a bit slow at responding, because my work schedule is a bit nuts.

Thanks, too, for the tips on exercise that is less apt to put painfull stress on my joints.

See ya around!
Ms Shapen is offline   Reply With Quote