Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/221/120

Height: 5'4"

Default Overweight and Overwhelmed!

Hi -

I'm Emily, and I, too, have been "lurking" here, reading a few of the threads, "peeping" into various "rooms," and have no idea where to begin. I am a 51 year old low-income single parent of a 9 year old girl. I have never been thin or really fit (although I played sports until college). I do LOVE to exercise, but cannot find the time; most of my waking moments are spent trying to find ways to survive (that is not meant as melodrama, it's actually true). I am currently 100 lbs. overweight, and am finding it more and more difficult to do, well, anything. But the scariest thing to me is that I see my daughter's weight starting to tip the scale unfavorably (she is very active, basketball, lacrosse, tennis, etc.), and I know it's due to poor eating habits.

I feel so overwhelmed I just don't know where to begin. Help me, Obi Wan -- you're my only hope!

Thanks so much!
redsoxnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #2  

I personally am a big fan of low carb and primal eating. Your diet is so much more important for your weight than exercise. I love the website Mark's Daily Apple at marksdailyapple.com. He has a lot of tips on transitioning to a healthier diet. Good luck!
odalisque0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!

It is overwhelming, but all I can say is just read, read, ask questions, read some more, read here, read on the rest of the interwebs and remember that it's not about perfection... it's just about doing one thing better today than you did yesterday.

It's going to take time (it always does!) but you'll be doing something so valuable for your daughter, by showing her and giving her good healthy eating habits.

Good luck and welcome!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

Weight loss really is overwhelming but doable. I've got a 100 lbs to lose myself so I know what its like when the eyes start spinning lol. My first step has helped where I thought about my trigger foods and limited them. It took a few months of healthier eating til I stopped craving the deep fried fatty foods like I used to (I'd literally dream about it and think about food nonstop!). I also started trying to move more too because after working I'm usually so worn out I wouldn't move much. Music helps. Maybe you and your daughter could take time to dance around and have fun. I wish honestly that my mom and I were active together when I was younger. Its hard to get healthy as a kid when its so much easier to sit around. I'm sure you may have troubles at first but she'll probably love being able to spend time with you and in the future will look back fondly on it. Remember not to be too hard on yourself though and take it all one day at a time! Best wishes!
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #5  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Welcome Emily! Losing 100 lbs can feel very overwhelming in the beginning. I would start by browsing the forums and seeing which food plan appeals to you.

Best of luck with your goals.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #6  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

I started with similar stats a year ago, when I was 53. You can do this.

I use Lose It, a free app, to count calories. Lots of people here use My Fitness Pal, another free calorie tracking site. Calorie counting is simple and costs nothing.

Like others have said, poke around here. Check out the 100 pound club, which is full of great folks. There's a lot of good information and great support in every thread, and everyone is very welcoming.

You can do this!
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

You've taken a good first step by coming out of lurksville. Yes, it can seem overwhelming but we all just have to take it one day at a time and change the habits that are causing our weight problems. You can do it! There is a lot of support and encouragement here.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote