Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #1  

Default Hello-hoping to get help & advice

Hi Everyone, I just happened to find this website...while searching if fat makes you look older. I am 25 years old 5'1 and 165lbs. I can't seem to lose weight and have no courage to do anything. I work full time 8am to 5pm and go to school tuesday, thursday 6-9pm and sats 9-12pm. I know the above is an excuse for not being healthy. But I am tired of people thinking I am older than I am. I do not have wrinkles or anything. My younger sister says people dont want to say its cuz your fat so they say you are mature for your age. So I don't even know what people mean anymore when they say you are just mature but don't look old. I am fashionable and follow fashion but not for myself and tend to stick to dark colors since I hate my body yet I am not doing anything about it. I really don't eat junk food, like chips, candy, cakes, sugar sodas (at times during my monthly I crave somewhat some sweets but not much). I don't eat burgers or fries...maybe once a year if that. Its hard to follow a diet. I am tired of my body and need to lose weight and hate working out...which is definitely not good...I'd love some advice and how I can start without giving up. Also weight loss cost a lot of money...even if you are just trying to buy certain healthy foods its hard...anyways please help me...what are some steps i can take?

btw my name is Zoie.
Ava0416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #2  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Welcome Zoie!

I'm a student as well with a crazy schedule. I have found what works best for me is calorie counting. I plan my meals ahead of time so that I know what im eating and whats in it. If I don't plan ahead, then I will always eat the easiest thing which is usually never healthy. Before I was calorie counting, I thought I had a good diet but was gaining weight for some strange magical reason. I was really wrong! My calories were WAY to high. You can gain weight eating healthy foods as well if you are consuming to many calories.

What I suggest is plan a weeks worth of food ahead of time. This way you know what you will be having Wednesday for lunch. Some days I don't feel like eating what I have planned, but then I will just eat something that is scheduled for a different day because I know it is something good for me. Eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive. Weight loss doesn't cost ANYTHING! You just need to make sure your daily calories arn't to high. Eating healthy doesnt cost more either. Instead of buying cookies (which I was doing way to often) I just now use that money to buy bananas or whatever other fruit is in season. I don't buy grapes in the winter because they cost an arm and a leg, so instead I will buy apples and squash!

I still eat ice cream, fries (squash fries now), and I just had a ton of movie theater popcorn last night when I went to Underworld. The only difference now is that I make sure my calories are between 1300-1600 each day.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #3  
Kelly-Blue Team!

S/C/G: 231.6/189.6/130

Height: 5'3

Smile

Candeka is right about counting calories. I just have a few things to add, like drinking at least 8 cups of water a day. I know counting cal. works because years ago I worked at a fast food joint and my almost my entire menu came from the resturant, I just counted the calories and stayed under 1600 each day. I literally ate whatever I wanted within my calorie limit and lost an average of 2 lbs a week for 4 months. I've had two babies since then and a lot of emotional trauma in my life that have helped me get to how big I am now, but I'm right back to counting calories again. This time I'm making sure the calories I eat are nutritionally sound though. Since I've cut out all sweets, I haven't had cravings lately. A key thing in calorie counting, or really in any diet, is actually writing down EVERYTHING you put in your mouth. Sometimes we're eating a lot more than we think until we see it in writing
btw, yes, being overweight can make people think you're older. I have 3 sisters and we've all struggled with out weight over the years. Whenever we were all in the same gathering, everyone always assumed, whoever was the heaviest at the time was the oldest sister
Lastly, this is an amazing community with so much support so if you decide to take a leap of faith and lose weight--we will all be here for you.
qtapostolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #4  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Zoie, welcome, glad to have you join us. I suggest you look for a Challenge or Support group to join; small check-in groups make it easier to connect, get involved, and be accountable. We have groups centering around specific diet plans, themes, or age groups, so find one that inspires you and just post to join! Be sure to check out the 20-somethings.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #5  

candeka-my problem would be keeping up with the calories..or preparing foods...but I know i need to do something. Do you feel hungry even though you eat a certain amount of calories for your height and weight? If so, how do you distract yourself from wanting to reach something?

qtapostolic-I'll try that calorie county. and thank you, I do notice this forum..is very supportive.

patchworkpenguin-thanks, Are the groups on this forum?
Ava0416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #6  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava0416 View Post

patchworkpenguin-thanks, Are the groups on this forum?
Groups and Challenges are pretty much spread all over 3FC, but below is a link to the majority of them, either scroll down or pick one of the catagories highlighted.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote