Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-22-2011, 11:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/317/180

Height: 6ft

Default Scared and don't know where to start

Hi all! Been lurking on the forums for awhile but finally decided to start posting since I can't stand it anymore but don't know how to make a stand.

First off, today I finally got it "scared" into me that I need to lose weight. You know, we all go to the Drs and it goes in one ear and out the other over "lose this much", "this is your BMI", "Your blood pressure is high", etc. etc. But today I finally found a Dr that made the lights turn on. I was referred to a GI because of tummy troubles since the beginning of Dec and he was the first one who sat down and was actually concerned and caring enough to seriously talk and listen. It is then I realized that when he recommended surgery right away (since I have a BMI of 40+) that he was dead serious about the fact that my husband (who is 21 yrs my senior) could outlive me. No one has ever put it like that before.

I am scared and not sure where to start. I'm very attached to my food, probably to much, which is why I am headed to a Dietician in January. But that doesn't stop me from wanting to start something yesterday.

I've been motivated before, but I don't have a personal support network that stands by my side and cheers me on and I find that I need that. It's to embarrassing to share my weight loss because I don't LOOK like I need to lose 100+ lbs. Standing 6ft tall and having a heavy frame, I carry my 300+ lbs really well. People guess my weight to be in the mid 200s and they aren't even close

I've asked my husband to support me and cheer me on, but he always says "don't over do it" or "you don't need to lose that much". He doesn't get it (yes it is a point of frustration).

So that is where I stand. Yes, I'm new to the forum, and I don't know where to start. I've researched a lot of different things and even tried South Beach at one point (it is how I got down to 250 at one point two years ago), but as I've learned with my self-defeating thought and my unsupportive hubby around, good things always come to and end.

p.s. thanks for listening

-Donna

Last edited by macfoo; 12-22-2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: ..
macfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #2  

I, too, am looking at better eating and exercise due to health concerns. I'm 62 and 5'7" and 180. I think women put way too much emphasis on thinness and was never interested in weight due to looks, but my good cholesterol is too low and I have to take that seriously. It's hard if you live with someone who isn't supportive. Hopefully you can find support you need here. I'm looking at the DASH diet.
prisca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #3  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

We all start somewhere and like you I too didn't have any support at home. My partner included. BUT that doesn't make it impossible. I also carry my weight very well at 5 ft 3 my highest was 265lbs and only then was I in a size 18....don't ask me how. But my health was failing. We all have food problems here, that's why we are here right? There is a ton of support in regards to emotional eating, food triggers, intuitive eating etc. It's starting slow and trying not to look at the large amount we need to lose. Take it pound by pound, day by day, you fall off plan you get back on, be kind to yourself, start small and gradually work your way up. If you start to make small changes you will give yourself time to realize your food habits more and more, learning about your relationship to food is key to keeping it off. It is life changing, it is hard work, but it is WORTH every ounce of effort. I promise you will never regret losing weight! You've done it before you can do it again! You want it, so your here, just do it

Last edited by InsideMe; 12-23-2011 at 02:24 PM.
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #4  
Katherine

S/C/G: 283/280/172

Height: 5'10

My health was what brought be here too. I have never been too concerned with my figure, but two years ago I was diagnosed with a autoimmune disorder and then a few weeks ago I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and losing weight wil hopefully help with the pain.
kailpea is offline   Reply With Quote