Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #1  

Default Help! I've never done this before!

Hey everyone!

My name's Heidi and I'm a 21-year-old college student. I've struggled with my weight my entire life, but suddenly had a rude awakening when I stepped on the scale today (after staying away from it for 3 years) and noticed I hit the 200 lb. part (201.3, to be exact).

When I was a size 4 in middle school, I always said that if I ever hit 200 lbs, I would seek help right away to avoid getting any bigger. I've lurked this site for years and have decided to join in hopes that I'll be motivated to keep going.

So yeah, I'll be around. Just wanted to say hi.
heidifaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #2  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Hello Heidi! Welcome to 3FC! Have you looked at eating or exercise plans? Have you already made any lifestyle changes?
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #3  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

Welcome! Since you've lurked, you probably know about all the different groups on the forum. Start getting in there, join a challenge, and remember we're all here for the same reason!
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by theox View Post
Hello Heidi! Welcome to 3FC! Have you looked at eating or exercise plans? Have you already made any lifestyle changes?
Well, that's where it gets interesting. I got my first gym membership back in August and was working out pretty regularly. I guess that means I used to weigh more than I do now (although, I'll never know because I was too afraid to weight myself). Unfortunately, I had to cancel my membership because of a big family drama that took up most of my time.

I'm trying to figure out what exercise plan to do. I was thinking P90X, but last time I tried that, I got too discouraged.

In terms of eating, I think I'll probably just cut out soda/sugary drinks, and try to incorporate more fruits/vegetables in to start. I'm not really sure where to go on that one either.
heidifaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #5  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

I think P90X is a little intimidating for someone who hasn't been regularly working out. Depends on the person, I guess. It's a good start to cut junk out, but I would also journal everything you eat. From there you can decide if you want to count calories, carbs, or whatever else. Good luck!
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #6  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydays View Post
I think P90X is a little intimidating for someone who hasn't been regularly working out. Depends on the person, I guess. It's a good start to cut junk out, but I would also journal everything you eat. From there you can decide if you want to count calories, carbs, or whatever else. Good luck!
^This. I think cutting back on the sugary stuff is a good starting point, and rainydays' suggestion to journal is a good one. I've never done P90X, but I hear it can be pretty intense. If you think it'll leave you feeling discouraged, remember that something as simple as walking can help you get in better shape and burn calories. There are folks on here who have signatures that run something like, "food for weight loss, exercise for fitness," and I think they're right. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, focusing primarily on eating the right portions of healthy foods might be the best strategy. There is a lot of dieting/healthy eating info out there and it can be confusing, but most of the major approaches are represented on these boards, so feel free to look around and ask questions if you have any.

Last edited by theox; 12-07-2011 at 06:52 PM.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote