Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 10-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 257.8/239.8/180

Height: 5.5

Smile Hi Everyone, I'm New

Hi everyone. I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm Michelle, mom of twin toddlers Luna & Gaia (almost 4) and wife of a pretty awesome boy named Pablo.

I'm totally commited to losing this weight and getting my eating back on a really healthy track.

I'm a vegetarian, although I've always been a very bad bad bad vegetarian who practically lived on pizza and coke.

I've always been overweight but managed to get down a lot of weight in 2006, which was right before I ended up getting pregnant. Since having my daughters I pretty much took all focus off myself and put it onto them. So now I'm back to taking care of myself.
michellearellano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/275/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi Michelle!
Thanks for replying to my post! Welcome to 3FC to you, too!
What kinds of meals are you eating now?
Kirsten1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #3  

I'm actually doing a 60 day juice fast to kick start this weight loss journey. I'm currently on day 17 and so far so good. The juice fasting is a great way to lose weight in a relatively quick way, but the main main main goal of the fast to is reset my eating habits. You appreciate good simple food a whole lot more after fasting. After the fast is done I plan on still juicing for breakfast each day, and being mostly vegan for the rest of the day.

I love pizza and I kinda refuse to give it up, lol. So I will allow myself two slices a week...but only after I get back to my pre-pregnancy weight.

What about you? What approach are you taking?
Old 10-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #4  

Wait, wait, wait...
Are you saying that you are doing nothing but drinking a juice for 60 days?
Crazy!
Honestly, my plan is just to follow the healthy eating guidelines. Fruit, veggies, protein, whole grains.
Plus, get to the gym 3-4x a week.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #5  

Fasting does seem strange to us who have eaten a Standard American Diet all our lives. It really isn't as radical as you would think. People do fasts for lots of different reasons. Someone doing a water fast needs supervision, but a juice fast is super jam packed with vitamins and nutrients.

Since I began the fast I really feel better and more clear headed then I have in a very long time. The first three days were rough but that is normal. Since then I actually feel no hunger. I drink the juice and I get a burst of energy that really lasts. The only hard times I have are when I have mental cravings. It's strange to really be able to tell the difference from real actual hunger and just mental hunger when you just want to eat to eat.

So far this has been a really positive experience and its not too bad to lose 18 lbs in 17 days.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:05 PM   #6  

Can't even imagine!
Glad it's working for you and that you are enjoying it.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/ticker/115

Height: 5'6

@michelle, I've enjoyed fasting, or at times just substituting fresh juice for a meal here and there. You're so right about it promoting a clear head. I went on an 18-day water fast this summer and lost 18 lbs. Most of it stuck, too. I've decided to fast at least today and tomorrow again to reset my system and my attitude towards what goes in my body. Had a weird night last when I drank more than I wanted, although I mostly at healthful foods. I am lucky to stay home alone during this time, and perhaps go for some very long walks along the ocean. I'm going to focus on taking care of myself and my environment, both of which I'd been neglecting. I'd love to stay in touch while you're doing the fast; I will probably extend my to a week and perhaps switch to juice a few days before eating again. It's a great way to jump-start weight loss, and if you've gotten this far I think you're good for the long run.

I was talking to an alternative doc yesterday, and he was saying that when people juice fast for even a few days, their most troublesome health issues just disappear. A friend of mine went to a health institute in San Diego where they consume all their nutrients in fresh juice or pureed fruit/veg. He said that midweek, several of the men were tested and taken off all their BP/cholesterol meds!! It does make sense.

My BP had always been low and it got a little higher recently. At the end of my summer fast it dropped to its usual 90/70 -- when I had my (lovely) colonoscopy, I thought the doc was going to faint, as I'm not on any meds for anything and I'm 51. I'm really on track to make these lifestyle changes stick and enjoy a long healthy life...my mom is a health vegetarian at 90!
crimsons is offline   Reply With Quote