Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-24-2011, 03:23 AM   #1  

Default hiya

Hi all.

I am a 24 y/o new cardiac nurse. I have been overweight/obese all my life and have had borderline high cholesterol for as long as I can remember. I found in March that I am prediabetic, and it dawned on me today, that I have Metabolic Syndrome. As a nurse that spends my days taking care of people with heart failure and heart attacks, this is a particularly depressing prospect. I know I am at high risk for diabetes, heart attack and stroke. I am really depressed about it. I have recently (3 weeks ago) become a vegetarian: in part, to lower my cholesterol, which will need medicating if it doesnt decrease, and in part, to help myself believe that I will not end up like all the people I take care of in the hospital. For the most part, I am doing great with it. I feel like it is something I can sustain.

As a new nurse I spend most of my days thirsty, starved, cotton-mouthed, hyperventilating, and occasionally, crying, as I try to figure everything out and get everything done that needs to be done. It is incredibly stressful, just as nursing school was. I can't bring myself to work out on my days off. I am too tired, and it is an easy excuse.

Roughly one year ago, I was 180 pounds. As soon as I finished up nursing school in December, I started focusing more on my health. So currently, I am 163 lbs. Going vegetarian has helped me lose about 5 pounds so far in the past 3 weeks. I am hoping to lose another 10 before I have my blood work re-checked in August.

I really need to get on board and start exercising again, but I have no motivation. I am scared to become diabetic, scared of heart disease.
newcardiacnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #2  
Edge Of Glory

S/C/G: 350/See Ticker/199

Height: 5'8"

Welcome! I'm a new cardiac nurse too (started November 1st) and I completely understand what you mean about spending your working hours thirsty, starved, cotton-mouthed, hyperventilating but I have to say I haven't cried (yet) lol. It's hard enough being overweight/obese in general, but now that I'm a nurse this is a whole new world of aches and pains added to the daily stress already on my body. I think I'm prehypertensive, but thankfully I'm not prediabetic too. I don't know about you, but I work nights 7-7 so my days off are mostly spend lounging around because I'm so tired all the time!

Anywho, welcome and good luck!
VirgoChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #3  

Hi! Yes, I work 7-7's as well and I feel the same way. Its hard to take care of yourself when you work so hard to take care of others, isnt it?
newcardiacnurse is offline   Reply With Quote