Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/notlooking/159

Height: 5'7"

Default Powerless over food

Yes, I'm powerless over food. I discovered this many years ago and only recently learned a bit about OA. I've started 'practicing abstinence' about a month ago. My success has been a lot like the flight of a baby bird, unsteady with lots of ups and downs, but miraculously hasn't included any binges. Additional OA research online has led me here. I don't know what I expect from this page, what I can contribute, or how long it'll keep me interested, but I hope that it will become another tool that can help me overcome my food addiction. I'm posting this before thoroughly investigating the site which seems to have a lot to offer. Any suggestions for me? Something you check on this site everyday for a little inspiration? I don't want to miss a thing! I'm so glad to be here.
babybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/210/150

Height: 5' 7"

I used to have this problem. I've found that eating main meals in the daytime makes me want to eat more. So I try to snack about 4 times between getting up and about 4pm. So only when I'm actually feeling hungry. And then eat a healthy dinner early evening. I'm lucky enough to have a really busy schedule in the week so I only get to chance to snack in between lectures/rehearsals. Try keeping busy and not thinking about food.

I know someone who rates her hunger on a scale from 0-10. With 10meaning shes starving, and 0 meaning shes full. If she rates her hunger as anything about an 8, she will do something (like cleaning/studying/exercise) for 15minutes and if after that time she still feels the hunger she allows herself to eat something.

Don't give in to your cravings. I always think if I fancy chocolate then what I'm reeeaaalllly craving is something sweet. And a couple of strawberries or a banana will get rid of it. I started a thread yesterday about writing down what it isthat will keep you going when trying to lose weight. Maybe it would help to think about teh reasons you would like to loseweight, write them in your diary and look at them everyday til you meet ur target.

I'mnot perfect, I'm also very close to the start of my diet, and am having lots of ups and downs. Its about finding what works for you. The first thing you need to think about (as I do also) is your relationship with food. Its so easy to binge, and not think about the junk you're putting in your mouth. But you should be enjoying every mouthful.

Theres lots of people on this site who are willing to help, maybe attempting one of the weight loss challenges will start you on the right track?

All the best anyway

Jess
MusicalJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think you need to have more confidence in yourself and remind yourself that YOU are in charge here!

We all started out where you are now- but the best thing I can tell you is to take baby steps and if you think you might be overwhelmed change one or two things at a time.

Do you track your calories? Using a site like sparkpeople.com might help you to see how much you need to eat and how much you are eating and that might help you stay in check with your eating. Drinking a lot of water also helps because sometimes thirst is mistaken for hunger.

3fc is the best place- if I hadn't come here I don't think I'd ever have gotten back down below 200 lbs again.

Good luck!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/210/150

Height: 5' 7"

@beerab: Whats sparkpeople? I use a site called fitday that I track my calories in and out by inputting my food and exercise. Is it like that?
MusicalJess is offline   Reply With Quote