Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/T/150

Height: 5'11"

Default It's too late now, but I'm starting anyway

I'm not sure when I became a fat chick, but I'm pretty sure it was some time after people started telling me I was one. I'm one of those terribly stubborn, but easily defeated individuals. I declared myself fat, decided there was nothing I could do about it and stubbornly stuck with that position. Every time I considered losing weight, I decided that it would have been possible X number of lbs ago, but now it was too much to lose. Even now, I'm thinking that 36 lbs ago it wouldn't have been so bad. If I keep up this thought process, I will continue to put on weight at the rate of 10 lbs a year which I've been maintaining (give or take) for the past 12 years.

Three years ago, I made my most impressive attempt to lose weight to date. I joined a gym, hired myself a personal trainer and a nutritionist, and I spent an hour and a half at the gym each day, lifting weights and cooling down afterwards with 30-45 minutes on the elliptical. I felt amazing, but after 4 months and a grand total weight loss of 10 lbs, I couldn't motivate myself to return to the gym after an illness kept me in bed for a week. After all, what was 10 lbs in the grand scheme of things? I regained those 10 lbs plus, and I feel awful.

So, having hit a new high on the scale today (after spending about 6 months refusing to get on it), I'm ready to go again. I'm tired of being tired. I'm tired of being fat. I'm tired of having a built-in excuse not to try.

There is one positive to starting now. I now know that I have allergy-induced asthma. Apparently, I've had it since I was a kid, which explains why I used to get winded so easily even before I was overweight. So, I'm now prepared to commit to exercising with my trusty inhaler in my pocket.

I'm looking forward to support, particularly from individuals who are willing to work hard.
quantumsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

Great attitude there is never a better Time than now.
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #3  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

WELCOME~~ It really is never too late to start! Just keep going. You have done it before and you can do it again. Best wishes on your goals, and looking forward to hearing progress.
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #4  
All Hail The Queen

S/C/G: 186.2/166.8/140

Height: 5'8"

Welcome and good luck!

Dhani
DhaniCauldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #5  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Glad you came here Quantum...you'll find this place a great place for support and information during your weight loss journey!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #6  

Thank you, everyone!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Welcome and good luck! Perhaps the diet plan you were following wasn't suitable for you? I found that no matter how healthy I ate if I ate a high carb diet I wouldn't lose.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Welcome!

"Every time I considered losing weight, I decided that it would have been possible X number of lbs ago, but now it was too much to lose."

I can relate. Part of my problem has been feeling hopeless, that I have too much weight to lose. Funny when I think about it. But I feel differently now - taking one pound at a time and trying to have patience and determination - -sounds like you have both of those.

Best of luck!
joyyoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #9  

beerab - The diet I was following wasn't particularly high carb, but it wasn't really low carb either. I might try a low carb option, but I think I'll give myself a couple of weeks to see if I want to go that direction.

joyyoj - Thank you. I actually have very little patience and my determination tends to bottom out after the first setback. I'm going to really need to battle with myself if I'm going to do this, but I will certainly try.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #10  
SJK

S/C/G: 180/180/125

Height: 5'2"

Welcome. New here myself.

Never too late.

Peace and love.
SJK is offline   Reply With Quote