Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/134/130

Default Hi everyone!

Hi everyone! Just read some interesting posts throughout the forum and I decided to participate and share my fitness story . I hope that men are allowed here too cuz I'm a guy. Anyway.....

My name is Darrell but family, friends & exercise buddies usually just call me "D" cuz it rolls off the tongue easier. I'm in Southern Oregon, USA. Been happily married to my truly wonderful wife Carolyn for 21 years now.

I'm an avid participant at our local YMCA and am active in 2 cardio/sculpt classes and 2 zumba classes each week. I also do circuit/strength training once a week, and I've been known to attend a spin class every now and then .

I also walk 2 miles per day weather permitting, and even though I do own a nice little car, I usually ride my bicycle most everywhere I go unless there is reason to use the car. I'm also an avid hiker and love to mountain climb as much of the year as possible.

I've been riding my bike for about 10 years, and did some hiking, but I didn't start any of the other activities until last August when I met a new friend who introduced me to the classes etc. and sort of became my unofficial fitness coach. My wife can't participate due to heart problems, so it helps to have a friend who can.

So I started the YMCA classes etc. in early October, and to date I've lost 34 Lbs. - I went from 175 to 141. My goal is 135 and I'm getting close. I do feel much better than before and definitely more energetic. I guess I should also mention that I quit smoking 9 years ago. I'm sure that I couldn't do any of these things if I hadn't.

I really enjoy the cardio & zumba classes and would recommend them to anyone. We have great instructors here too which is nice. I am one of only 2 men in class usually and sometimes the only guy in class but its cool cuz the girls just treat me like one of them when I'm there .

So thats my little story anyway.....Yep, its been hard work but I've lost a lot of weight, improved my overall health considerably, and am having fun doing it to boot!

And every day, I thank God for the things which I can do. I take nothing for granted.

If you made it this far, then thank you for your patience in reading about my silly little fitness journey .

I just saw a post here somewhere about Zumba so now I'm off to put in my two cents about that.....

- D

Last edited by IDontKnow; 04-12-2010 at 05:33 PM.
IDontKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #2  
Hey Goal, Here I Come! ♥

S/C/G: 282/???/160-140

Height: 5'8

welcome D! sounds like youre doing great! =] keep at it!
JackieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #3  
I am losing it!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6.1

Welcome! 135 is very close, keep it up! Bravo on quitting smoking! ...and for being married for 21 years!
Veil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #4  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Hello D (IDontKnow) - Welcome to 3FC,

It's always nice to have another man around the site. Yep, men are welcome; You'll find us distributed evenly here and about.

Congrats on your 34 pounds to date and for keeping up that exercise schedule.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote