Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #1  

Default Starting Again ... Again

Well, I just started a blog last night, but thought that I should also post here to start getting to know some of the women on this board!

I'm just going to cut and paste my introductory post from my blog - call me lazy, but I say I'm just committed to getting to the gym ASAP this morning!

For my entire life, my weight has defined me - or rather, I have defined myself by my weight.

About ten years ago, I weighed over 260 pounds. I was at that weight for another 2-3 years or so, until I was diagnosed with PCOS and metabolic syndrome. Over the course of 1.5-2 years, I lost about 60 pounds. I successfully kept most of that weight off until I started law school 4 years ago. Ever since then, I’ve played around with anywhere from a 15 to 30 pound weight gain. Right now, I’m fairly certain that I’m about 230 pounds. I wear a very tight size 16. I’m 5′7″, and built for heavy duty farm work (under all the chub, that is ).

I consider myself a success for having maintained a weight loss of anywhere from 30-60 pounds for over the last five years - but at this point, I also know I’m in trouble if I don’t seriously tackle my food and weight demons. I struggle with depression, anxiety and binge eating. I have strugged with those things for my entire life. I have been diagnosed with an eating disorder, possibly bulimia, although I’m not sure about that yet. I’m on an anti-depressant and I just started metformin. This is all very complicated, but suffice it to say, I know that I would be significantly better off if I made my health THE priority.

For the last year, I’ve avoided dealing with my weight, due to sheer burnout on a number of fronts. Now though, I’m starting to feel that it is time to rebuild my mental, physical and emotional strength. I turn 30 this year. I will be called to the bar this year. It’s a year of new beginnings - and I want to face it with strength and optimism.

Tomorrow, I will sit down to write about my plan. The plan will involve no calorie counting and no weigh-ins. I’ll track my progress in other ways, and I’ll focus on other things that matter to me much more at this point than the actual number on the scale. That isn’t to say that I don’t want to lose weight. I do. But I want to measure my progress in ways that don’t feed into my obsessions. I think that is the best idea for me for now.

I've written about my plan on my blog. Today, I've decided to just take things week by week ... and I'm also going to measure my progress in ways that have nothing to do with the scale. In fact, I'm really tempted to just toss that thing in the garbage ...

Happy Sunday everyone!
CheekyMo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: S196/C193/G154

Height: 5 ft. 6 inches

Default Stay healthy!

Hello Cheeky Mo

Nice to read your message.

I think not having scales is quite good, I mean we all need to develop a good relationship with ourselves and our bodies and I think all the counting can get a bit obsessive.
I am following a strict diet and exercise for the first month ( IF I can cope with it) and then after that I think I'll just focus on having a daily walk or gentle exercise and eating lots of nice fruit and vegetables I like and find other nice hobbies apart from my favourite eating.

I wish you all the best. take care
Muse17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Welcome CM! I once had plans to go to law school! I now plan to get a PHD in 2012! U are in the right place for weight loss advice! I also have a mental illness. Looking forward to helping you on your wl journey!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/207.2/126

Height: 5'4.5

Good luck. I'm starting again too. I know school can lead to unhealthy lifestyles. I will be finishing my last day of medical school tomorrow, and I can't help but think that being a doctor leads to poor choices. We tell people to lose weight, but we work so many hours and stress out so much that we gain weight and don't eat the healthiest things. That is why I'm trying to use the three months that I have before I start residency to get healthy and in shape so that when I'm back working long hours I will have the desire to eat healthy and exercise instead of using work as an excuse to sit down and do nothing. So we're going through a similar situation. I wish you luck on your journey.
squishysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #5  

Thanks for the support you guys! It sounds like we all have a lot in common. Have any of you set up blogs as well?
CheekyMo27 is offline   Reply With Quote