Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 172/ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

Default Picking Back Up

Well... Hello, there! My name's Erin, and I'm currently a first-semester grad student working on a Masters in English. I joined this community back in the middle of the summer (eep!), and promptly proceeded to not do anything besides browse and lurk. Then grad school happened, and... both exercise and eating well went out the window. But I've been particularly bad the last two weeks, and I know I need to get back on the horse and see this through to the end.

In good news, I've actually lost ten pounds since I abandoned 3FC, although the majority of that was the latter part of the summer and I've been languishing since. It's time to get movin' and shrink another jean size or two. Maybe three. Anyways, I'm very happy to be back--this seems like such a great, supportive community, and hopefully I can weasel my way into your midst before too long.
minorharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #2  

Erin, one thing I think about as we discuss our struggles and disappointments - if we weren't struggling, what would likely happen with our weight? My guess is that it would go up and up. If that is true, by simply maintaining or gaining a little, we are succeeding. Any amount of control is better than none.
Lincolns Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Welcome back and good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #4  

Erin:

I relate to you. I also found this site last summer, but have been lurking. I was so afraid to get on a scale, as I literally haven't weighed myself in 10 years. Even at the doctor, I would turn my back and ask to please not tell my weight. Oh, the shame. But I bought a scale on-line (WW - I hope a good one), and last Monday stepped on it. I was ashamed, greatly, but somehow that step freed me a little from the secrecy and the deep feelings of shame. So now at least I know where I am weight-wise and deal with the here and now. I think a part of me felt that if I didn't face the truth myself, maybe people wouldn't see all the fat I carry around...crazy thinking, but again, so wrapped up in deep feelings of shame and inadequacy. So today is a new day. I will be conscious of the amount and type of food I consume. I won't blame my genetics or other factors in my weight. It is what it is. I enjoy reading all your posts, and it's very inspirational and supportive to know I'm not alone. The feelings I feel have been felt by others. My best wishes to everyone. Thanks for reading.
pagegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 171.5/167.5/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Erin!
I too have just recently come back after being away for quite a while. Unfortunately, I didn't lose 10# being gone.....but after gaining 11 of the 20 I lost, I jumped back in and re focused myself. Good luck in your journey and the support here is wonderful!
loozin it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Welcome back!

Cheers,

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #7  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi Erin!
OK - no looking back - no beating yourself up - we've all been there done that. Sounds like you're back on track & off to a great start - you can do this & we'll all be here to cheer you on!

Glad to have you back with us! As you know, there are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated, inspired and entertained! I like all the info and first hand advice on different plans to help me get through the ups and downs.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here a short time myself, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of cheating or giving up.

So welcome back - jump back in by inspiring us and being inspired!

Last edited by leeway; 11-15-2009 at 12:54 PM.
leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 172/ticker/135

Hee, thank you all so much for the welcomes! I'm getting inspired already, strange and corny as that may sound.

And pagegirl, it's strange that you should mention getting a scale as your inspiration, because that's actually what triggered mine. One of the roommates has an old, non-digital scale that doesn't do much for me, but I "splurged" on a cheap digital one at Wal-Mart this morning and it was just the kickstart I needed. It's so much easier to do things when you can see actual numerical results (even if it's over time).
minorharmony is offline   Reply With Quote