Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-29-2010, 06:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/208/140

Height: 5'4

Talking How does food have such a hold over me?

Hello! I am Katie - a soon to be (this Saturday!) 22 year old newlywed who as recently graduated college as is currently visiting England (where my husband lives). I am also fat. I believe my current weight is around 230-240, I'm 5'4, and I'm ready for a change. The problem is that I seem to give into sweet stuff... all the time.

I also over do it. An example - Yesterday was stressful for me and I asked my husband to take me to the store for some chocolate. He had to go back to work first and then told me he would take me to get my favorite cookie and a soda but that he had chocolate in the car that he didn't bring in on purpose so that I wouldn't want it. Well I ended up eating half of his and then we went to the store and I got a cookie, since it wasn't the exact kind that I wanted I decided to get a muffin too! I couldn't finish it all so this morning I woke up and went straight downstairs for my muffin, that I didn't like very much and that was gone before I knew it. I have no idea why I ate it!

I want a change. I'm sick of being fat. I'm sick of my extra lower belly, my hurting back, and my tight clothes. I need some motivation people. I've been looking for a new thread to be active on seeing as my wedding planning has just ended and I'm hoping this could be it. I'm hoping I'll be able to see a physical change in myself before I return to the states this October, that this community will be right along with me, and I know that it all starts today!

In short: Hello, my name is Katie.
111707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #2  
Highest Known Weight: 305

S/C/G: 290.5/Tic/199

Height: 5'7"

Hi Katie, and welcome to 3FC! I understand what you're saying about the sugar. I too, was ADDICTED to sugar about a month ago. The only thing that has worked for me is to go cold turkey. I cut out everything white eg. white sugar, white rice, white bread etc. In about three days the cravings were GONE!

Now when I even eat fruit (that's seems sour to those around me), it is EXTREMELY sweet to me.

I am new at this myself, but the best advice I can give you is to just start. I kept planning and talking, but never putting the plan into action. On June 22 I said enough talking and making excuses, and just started. So don't make any excuses if you're really ready. Don't say, oh I'll just have this cookie today and start tomorrow. If you keep making those excuses, you'll be in the same place a year from now. Our choices really do spiral, whether they are good or bad.

Make a decision and stick to it. Don't worry about what other people around you are eating either. Do it for only YOU! This was one of my biggest hurdles. In our society everything seems to revolve around eating fattening food. It's supposed to be a celabratory event to eat cake etc. We feel out of place, rude, and boring if we don't partake of these foods. That feeling only lasts a couple of polite refusals. After that you begin to feel empowered and proud for putting your health first, instead of someone's feelings. What I am finding from my husband and kids, is that they are just as proud of my refusals to eat something unhealthy as am. They didn't think I had it in me, and they are happy to be proven wrong. I have a LONG way to go, but I've always given up in the first week or two before.

YOU can do this; we can all do it, but it takes WORK! So work it girl!
Read the success stories in the goal and mini goal sections. You will be amazed. Come here everyday and read and post, before you know it, you will LOVE your new lifestyle.

Last edited by kallismom; 07-29-2010 at 07:30 AM.
kallismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/121/121(lbs) 75/55/55(kg)

Height: 168cm, 5' 6''

I thought i was a sweeet food addict. i love(d) chocholate, there wouldn't be the day that i wouldn't have a chocolate.
but then, one day i just said to myself that i want to lose weight. i didn't say 'i don't want to have a chocolade anymore' but ' i wan't to be thin'.

don't think about what you don't want in your life, think about what you want, and that it- thin and healthy.

of course i had a chocolate craving and the it was standing right in front of me but then i asked myself would i rather eat this and be happy for a couple of minutes and than angry becouse i did it,or i'd rather keep up with my diet and loose those pounds and what's most important feel proud of myself for having the strength to refuse to eat it and feel really good about myself.

thats how i did it. and now i don't miss sweets. or at least i don't miss them as much as i'm enjoying this 5 pounds i lost in 2 weeks!

good luck, be strong!
and you sholud always know that you CAN do it!
Anexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Yesterday was stressful for me. [snip] Well I ended up eating half of his and then we went to the store and I got a cookie, since it wasn't the exact kind that I wanted I decided to get a muffin too! [snip] I have no idea why I ate it!
Sounds like heart hunger to me.

Check out "Life is Hard, Food is Easy" by Linda Spangle.

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #5  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

Welcome to 3FC, as you can see you will get a lot of support around these parts, please keep us updated
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Congrats on your wedding! Hooray! I love happy endings! In regards to your lil dilemma, I was there, and like mentioned above, I had to go cold turkey. I know exactly how you feel, I'm 5'4'' as well and my highest weight was 250. Now I'm 129 lbs! At the end of my journey, I started to slowly introduce sweets, but I never over do it, b/c I've come this far without it. I used to eat a big slice of carrot cake every day, cookies after lunch, ice cream after dinner, donuts for breakfast, the WORKS! Needless to say my sweet tooth was stronger than my brain during that time!

If you feel like you can't go cold turkey, then try eating just half of that cookie, or half of that muffin, and if you order ice cream and a shoppe, order the kids size one. That's what I do when I want a sweet treat. Best of luck to you on your two new journeys! Weight loss, and Marriage! Keep us posted on progress!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/150

Welcome Katie,

Congrats on your wedding and an early Happy B-Day to you too!!!

I know the struggle also. My extreme sweet tooth had me up to 310 at one point. Recently I decided I can't keep sabataging myself by constantly saying "I'll start tomorrow" and then have one last hoorah that day. Which ended up being day after day because it was always "I'll start tomorrow". Three weeks ago I went raw - cold turkey. I only grocery shop after a meal when I'm full and I don't allow myself to keep sweets in the house. This way of eating may not be for everyone but it worked for me. Find something that is do-able for you. If you're constantly miserable on a diet, you more than likely won't stick with it.

This forum is full of great information. I've spent the last few days reading through what everyone is doing and what seems to be working for them. And there's an endless supply of support here!

Jenteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #8  
for my family...

S/C/G: 210/188.2/160

Height: 5'5" age~ 39

Hi Katie!! and WELCOME!! I love to look at the before and after pictures in the goal photo album! they keep me inspired! GOOD LUCK YOU CAN DO IT!! Joining a challenge and set mini goals with a reward. Something to look forward too Have a great day!
jensmith72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #9  
All Hail The Queen

S/C/G: 186.2/166.8/140

Welcome and good luck!

Dhani
DhaniCauldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #10  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi Katie and welcome to 3FC.

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #11  
Exercise-addicted

S/C/G: 248

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallismom View Post
Hi Katie, and welcome to 3FC! I understand what you're saying about the sugar. I too, was ADDICTED to sugar about a month ago. The only thing that has worked for me is to go cold turkey. I cut out everything white eg. white sugar, white rice, white bread etc. In about three days the cravings were GONE!

Now when I even eat fruit (that's seems sour to those around me), it is EXTREMELY sweet to me.

I am new at this myself, but the best advice I can give you is to just start. I kept planning and talking, but never putting the plan into action. On June 22 I said enough talking and making excuses, and just started. So don't make any excuses if you're really ready. Don't say, oh I'll just have this cookie today and start tomorrow. If you keep making those excuses, you'll be in the same place a year from now. Our choices really do spiral, whether they are good or bad.

Make a decision and stick to it. Don't worry about what other people around you are eating either. Do it for only YOU! This was one of my biggest hurdles. In our society everything seems to revolve around eating fattening food. It's supposed to be a celabratory event to eat cake etc. We feel out of place, rude, and boring if we don't partake of these foods. That feeling only lasts a couple of polite refusals. After that you begin to feel empowered and proud for putting your health first, instead of someone's feelings. What I am finding from my husband and kids, is that they are just as proud of my refusals to eat something unhealthy as am. They didn't think I had it in me, and they are happy to be proven wrong. I have a LONG way to go, but I've always given up in the first week or two before.

YOU can do this; we can all do it, but it takes WORK! So work it girl!
Read the success stories in the goal and mini goal sections. You will be amazed. Come here everyday and read and post, before you know it, you will LOVE your new lifestyle.
I totally agree with Kallismom. When I came down to SC, I used to drink sweet drinks, now I have been hooked on filtered water since about 3 or 4 years. I can't stand bottled water. Also, when I make smoothies (fresh), my dad will typically say that it tastes tart when it tastes fine to me. You'll get used to it. Don't drink 8 glasses of water, you can get sick. Just get used to it. One or two, then you will get used to it. Good luck!
serenityh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/180/130

Height: 5'6"

Hi Katie! Welcome! I'm also a newbie with a love for the white stuff (sugar that is ) I no longer keep it in the house because I am not someone who can have "just one". I have been keeping a daily food journal and find that it helps a lot to keep me aware and accountable to what I'm actually eating. I also drink water now instead of sugar free drinks and I've noticed that I crave sweets less. Congrats on the wedding and happy birthday!!
auntiejo is offline   Reply With Quote