Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/215/170

Height: 5'6"

Talking Hi all! Dieting with food allergies!

Hi all! My name is Becky, I am hoping to lose weight and get back to running! I got new shoes today and have my i-pod all charged with music.

I have been working on the dieting part alone for the last 3 months and lost about 20 pounds doing that.

I have allergies to corn and soy. The corn allergy was only a sensitivity (I can eat it and then have a stomach ache and sometimes get blisters in my mouth) so I completely cut out corn after talking to my doctor (harder than it sounds, corn in some form is in practically everything!!) I am also "sensitive" to bananas and some melons. So eating healthy is a challenge for me.

So, now I've decided to take the next step and add running. I used to love running and I hate the gym I love the outside (with my zyrtec to help my allergies outside!) The plan is to go for my first run/walk tomorrow morning before church.

Oh! and I am a teacher of 3rd graders, I will be teaching summer school, so I have to fit all this around a very hectic life

Thanks for listening (reading!)
Becky
runningmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

BECKY ~ sounds like you are off to a good start; incorporating some walking, then running will help too.

Thankfully, there are lots and lots of other fruits and veggies and whole grains out there that you can have instead (apples, peaches, pears, grapes, oranges, plums, nectarines, strawberries, raspberries, etc), especially if you focus on whole foods (oats, whole grain breads & cereals & pastas, and beans, new potatoes) ... best of luck on your journey!
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #3  
Maintenance...

S/C/G: 167.5/132/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Becky!!! You can do it!!!
Kim K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:52 PM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Becky and

Enjoy getting back into your running. I have confidence you will find a healthy way to work around your allergies.

For me, exercise is about finding something I enjoy. I ride my bike and do water aerobics.

Hope to see you posting.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 380/329-Current Wt/280/250/220

Height: 5'6.5

Hi Becky !!! I am confident you will be able to work around your allergies and get to your goal weight. I am much like you I have a intolerance to gluten and was recently told to try to avoid it at all. I also have allergies to all melons, strawberries, peanuts, eggs, milk and that list goes lol on a bit. If you ever want to swap receipes or food ideas, I'd like that. Walking in a excellent way to workout and to start up to running.

I'm cheering for you !!!
PhatChickLosingItNCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/207/130

Height: 5"6

Default Hi Becky.

I read your post on dieting with allergies and saw that your were able to lose 20 pounds by creating a plan for yourself. Did you just diet first or did you start exercising first then the added the diet? I have the allergies to corn, soy, gluten, tomatoes, nuts and the list goes on and on. I just recently found out and I am concerned about gaining weight? Was there a specific diet plan you followed?
dundun1021 is offline   Reply With Quote