Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Hi from Denver!

Hello!
I am 31 years old and am excited to have found this web site! I am a teacher and a writer, though right now I am more teacher and less writer - something I want to change! I used to always journal, which naturally led to short stories and articles that I sold as freelance, but not so much anymore.

I was overweight as a child but thin through most of my 20s. About 5 years ago, when I began teaching full time (and writing less) I started emotional eating big time. I started binging and purging over one summer, but with the help of my husband, got professional help and am happy to say I nipped that problem before it got out of hand. For the past few years I have still been overweight, not much, just 10 or so pounds heavier than I would like - but at least it was stable.

I lost some weight last summer when I realized I was hypoglycemic and I changed my eating habits to 5-6 small meals a day. Then, after I got married, and without the school schedule to structure my day, I gained the weight back plus some. sigh. I hate that.

I feel kinda out of control again - emotional eating, overeating, etc. I was trying to eat 1600-1800 calories a day, but now I feel like eating everything. sometimes it seems like when I try to give more structure to my eating habits, its when i go the most crazy. I don't starve myself but sometimes it's like I convince myself that food is the only thing that will make me feel better.

wow. sorry to go on. I just feel like no one understands. I know my 20 pounds might not seem like a lot of extra weight to some people, but it really gets to me. I tie so much of who I am in my weight and I am SO afraid of gaining more. Petrified, actually.

I hope to get some of the support I am needing right now with this site....

On a lighter note, I realize that this is supposed to be introductions so I'll add that I also have a wonderful dog and we love to go on hikes and walks together. I love to read and listen to audiobooks when I go - so motivating. Anyone in the Denver area who wants to join, just let me know!

Phew. I feel better already. thanks for reading.

Last edited by badbaum; 02-20-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: wanted to clarify
badbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #2  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Welcome to our site! We definitely understand if you have 100+ or just 5 pounds to lose what it really can do to your self esteem. Emotional eating or binge eating is something A LOT of us here at the site deal with day to day, and some of us have overcame.. so you are in the right spot!

Sometimes it feels really good just to get it all out! And we'd love to hear You can do this, and this is the right place!

jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #3  
No description available.

Welcome to 3FC!! Everyone is welcome! In fact, you might feel at home in the featherweights section where there are other ladies in similar situations. Check out the 30 something subforum too.

I've always had a hard time combining weight loss with writing. It's like, I can do one or the other but not both. That's something I'm still working on. If you have tips about that, I'd love to hear them!!

I'm glad you're here!

What do you write?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:52 PM   #4  
I can...and I will...

S/C/G: 202/196/160

Welcome badbaum! Im also in the Denver area and love to hike. Send a PM if you are looking for a buddy!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Hi Badbaum!

Another Denverite here
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Welcome to 3FC!! Everyone is welcome! In fact, you might feel at home in the featherweights section where there are other ladies in similar situations. Check out the 30 something subforum too.

I've always had a hard time combining weight loss with writing. It's like, I can do one or the other but not both. That's something I'm still working on. If you have tips about that, I'd love to hear them!!

I'm glad you're here!

What do you write?

Thanks for your message!! I didn't know there was a "featherweight" section. Thanks for the info! I will definitely check them out. I also just enrolled into Metabolic Research Center, so for sure I will check out that forum.

What I have noticed is that when I am writing regularly, the writing acts like self-medication. I never realized how much I relied on my journals to process negative thoughts. I mean, I knew I wrote when I was upset, I just didn't realize how much it prevented me from emotional eating.

It IS hard to find time - I am trying to commit to even 15 minutes a day, right when I get home from work. That's just for journal writing. I did pick up some freelance gigs, and that has been equally hard to factor in. Mainly I have been writing on the weekends for those gigs. Right now I am writing for a local arts magazine... It's fun! Once I get going of course!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:09 PM   #7  

Default can't send PMs yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Welcome badbaum! Im also in the Denver area and love to hike. Send a PM if you are looking for a buddy!
As soon as I can send PMs, we can set something up!

Last edited by badbaum; 02-20-2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 02-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
Hi Badbaum!

Another Denverite here
Wow your before and after pictures are amazing! I agree with other posters that you look great in all the pics, but there is definitely a glow about you in the last one!

Where in Denver are you? I'm near the Highlands...
Old 02-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #9  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbaum View Post
Wow your before and after pictures are amazing! I agree with other posters that you look great in all the pics, but there is definitely a glow about you in the last one!

Where in Denver are you? I'm near the Highlands...
Lucky!

i'm in 5 Points.... Duck!!

junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #10  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

Welcome!
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote